Feeling Fat in Taipei

You shoudn’t make racist remarks about Taiwanese people’s teeth. There are a lot of British people on this forum who are probably sensitive about their teeth as well :smiling_imp: .

Well, I am totally screwed then…or not. Actually they don’t know where to start with me so I generally get:
“Ah you so strong”
“Ah I want a belly like yours”
“Your hairstyle is so manly”
“Ah hairy chest, so sexy” (the Obvious response is: “Oh behaaaave baby, YEAH BABY YEAH!!!”)

(I am not joking about the comments either. Most are favorable…I dunno how I do it :idunno: Maybe I just look scary?)

Yep, Notsu,
I definitely think the fact that I’m actually Taiwanese makes it hurt twice as much as if Taiwan is just this place I’m visiting. I’ll try and stay strong though. Going to the gym will help, I think, because it’s something positive you can do for yourself which also asserts “I have different values/aesthetics/priorities as you. I do not desire to look as pale and skinny as a wet strand of spaghetti.”

Not to mention (if what I’ve read in the other forum is true) the fact that I could be facing some heavy-duty discrimination when I try to find employment as an English teacher b/c I am not caucasian. How ironic that I could be facing the worst racism I’ve ever experienced by a long shot – in my own country.

Despite all this though, I’m really excited about going back to Taipei. So what if I’ll have to look a little harder for a job? I wouldn’t mind a few weeks eating bonbons at home while the boyfriend goes to work pimping out his whiteness

That’s right, grrrl. And tell your man to, “SHAKE WHAT YO MAMA GAVE YA! Now go make your hunny some munny!” :rainbow:

It’s not that hard to find a job here. Remember: attitude, confidence, know what to expect, and SMILE.

Well, I am totally screwed then…or not. Actually they don’t know where to start with me so I generally get:
“Ah you so strong”
“Ah hairy chest, so sexy”[/quote]

Hate to bust your bubble, but… the ironic comment is high art form in Taiwan. “You are so strong” in particular is a tried and true euphamism for “you are a porker in our eyes”. Folks who use these sugary insults have a bit more functional a social-filter than the ones who just come out and say, “Oh, you are so fat” - but they still can’t resist making a comment so they bust out the “compliment”.

But, then again, maybe you really are a dead sexy fellah.

BattlePanda, You intrigue me. You’re Taiwanese yet you write like a native speaker (very well) - I assume that you’ve been living abroad (as you say) for a long time. The reason I mention this is becasue you wrote about your fears of discrimination when you return to Taiwan and look for a job. To be sure, there may be some, but what you need to do is stick with reputable schools. I worked with a number of Chinese Americans over the years, and a large number of Taiwanese teachers. Of the Taiwanese teachers most of them taught basic English classes (I’m talking adult English, here) - which wasn’t such bad set-up for them because there is always lots of demand for a teacher that can do this well. All of these teachers made the exact same as I did on a per-hour basis - so there was no wage differential (as there is sometimes in less reputable schools). One Taiwanese teacher who I hired had lived in the States for about 12 years. She was a great personality, and taught many of the levels at out school - beyond basic classes. Her case was rare, not, I would contend, because of discrimination, but rather many of the Taiwanese teachers we hired really didn’t have that native English fluency. My guess is that you will have no problem persuading school administrators that you’re English skills are as good as a native speaker - and they would be foolish not to consider hiring you, as you would not need a work visa - being an ROC citizen.

But, my real advice to you - not that you asked for it, would be to avoid the English teaching thing altogether. There will be other opportunities for you to pursue, when you start looking.

“Ah you so strong”

But, then again, maybe you really are a dead sexy fellah.[/quote]
“Maybe”?! You obviously haven’t met. Or, you’d know there’s nothing “maybe” about this fellah.

All the girls in the back say “Yeah!”

[quote=“Notsu”]There is a big difference if you’re called [insert a bad adjective] in a foreign country or in your home country. I’m not really sure what it’s about, but while it never bothers me what the Taiwanese think of me, I always take offence when I get nasty comments at home. It’s just something about identifying yourself with the people around you. When you’re abroad you’re used to not fitting it, but when you’re at home you get the feeling that you should adjust to the local standards and meet other people’s expectations.

And it really is difficult to come back home, especially when it means that you lose about 30% of your value (esp appearance) as soon as you step off the plane.[/quote]

Hmph.
Easy for you to say, Perfect 11 Model of Baltic pulchritude…
Anyways, I screwed up again, I came on here thinking it was the thread for Feeling Tash in Taipei…shit, I have to start reading more carefully…

“Ah you so strong”

But, then again, maybe you really are a dead sexy fellah.[/quote]
“Maybe”?! You obviously haven’t met. Or, you’d know there’s nothing “maybe” about this fellah.

All the girls in the back say “Yeah!”[/quote]
Groovy Baby…

Wow, Truant… You really look like Austin Powers minus the hair… Must be the glasses! Amazing! :wink:

Don’t know what to say to The Chief, I guess he’s just weaseling. :wink:

I think I had been back in Estonia for a week or two, when I was sitting in the kitchen with my sister and mom. Can’t remember what we were talking about, but all of a sudden, my sister looked at me, and then said to my mom: “Have you noticed that she has got this strange idea in Taiwan that she’s pretty?” (It sounds worse than she intended…) When my other sister came back after her first year in Japan, I remember thinking (NOT saying :unamused:) something similar about her. Beauty standards are different. We both got lots of compliments in Asia, but here we’re just two pale potato-nosed shorties. :slight_smile:

I very much enjoyed feeling pretty in Taiwan. I’m often fooling myself with the idea that I don’t care what other people think of me, but I do care and it’s really bad for my self-confidence. If I want to be happy with myself I should either move abroad or grow a thicker skin. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ask Tigerman if you’re pretty. He’ll give you the same answer I would, for sure.

[quote=“Notsu”]
I think I had been back in Estonia for a week or two, when I was sitting in the kitchen with my sister and mom. Can’t remember what we were talking about, but all of a sudden, my sister looked at me, and then said to my mom: “Have you noticed that she has got this strange idea in Taiwan that she’s pretty?” (It sounds worse than she intended…) When my other sister came back after her first year in Japan, I remember thinking (NOT saying :unamused:) something similar about her. Beauty standards are different. We both got lots of compliments in Asia, but here we’re just two pale potato-nosed shorties. :slight_smile:

I very much enjoyed feeling pretty in Taiwan. I’m often fooling myself with the idea that I don’t care what other people think of me, but I do care and it’s really bad for my self-confidence. If I want to be happy with myself I should either move abroad or grow a thicker skin. :p[/quote]

Interesting. With me it’s exactly the opposite. Isn’t life funny that way?

It isn’t EXACTLY opposite for me. But I think I am considered prettier at home than I am here.

I can’t imagine how popular you must be back home?!! :astonished:
All I hear from guys is Tash this, Tash that, Tash said, Tash blablablablablabla… :wink:

Yeah, that’s the reason I want to move. :sunglasses:
Now, can you find me an Estonian who’d say I’m pretty… :blush: :wink:

Well, I think you’re purdie, here AND back home… and so is Notsu.

Your bee-hinds, however, could be a bit bigger, but you can work on that :wink:

I wish my ass was bigger. And Notsu would be (VERY) hot in the US. I know that. But I don’t know what is pretty in her home.

I hope someone will split the thread again… But here’s what’s hot in my home - she didn’t do very well on Miss Universe though. :sunglasses:

She looks fake to me. Doesn’t do it for me at all.

Honeypie, you’re a heterosexual woman! :unamused: :wink:
Ask Tigerman if you want to know what Sandman thinks of her. :howyoudoin:

Honeypie, you’re a heterosexual woman! :unamused: :wink:
Ask Tigerman if you want to know what Sandman thinks of her. :howyoudoin:[/quote]
Not for me. Her knees are too pointy.
But I’ll keep it going, if only for the pleasure of watching Forumosa’s most beautiful and sexy posters griping about their looks. Where’s 914 anyways? She probably has a gripe about imaginary shortcomings too.
You should all think yourselves lucky – some of us, after all, have to contend with being considered just as ugly here as we are anywhere else. :wink:

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Notsu”]
Where’s 914 anyways? She probably has a gripe about imaginary shortcomings too.[/quote][/quote]
You have a lot of catching up to do, sandman. Start here: http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=43521