Female Au pair/Tutor for Summer

Hi Parents (hopefully potential employers?)

I’m an undergrad of National Taiwan University, a Chinese Lit. major. I’m fluent in English and Mandarin, currently learning basic Russian, I tutor high school students on a part-time basis.

Being a foreign student (Singaporean) I usually go home during summer and winter vacations to continue my freelance writing job. I write for newspapers (tabloids actually) and magazines as well, it’s pretty demanding and stressful at times. Yet this upcoming summer, I’ve decided to stay put in Taiwan, not just to take a break, but to try something new.

I’m looking for a family who would be interested to hire an au pair (live in/out) for this summer (July-September 2013).
Firstly and most importantly, I must declare that I don’t have any certification on babysitting/au pair/childcare. I only have experiences being a babysitter and going through the first post-natal month with a mom to help her out in house chores and taking care of her elder son. While I don’t mind taking care of infants, I would prefer my charge to be older, as I could tutor them if you wish. Handling chaotic kids situation is also my forte- being the eldest in the family with 4 boys/cousins proved to be good training ground. I would love to work with a big family too! :smiley:

Currently, I stay in Gong Guan area of Taipei City, but am totally willing to relocate to another place to be a live-in Au pair. Be it a Taiwanese family or European/American family, I hope my (possibly) first and last summer in Taiwan would be a very different experience. All in all, I’m keen to meet new people/families, am respectful of different cultures and parenting methods.

Interested parents please PM me for my full C.V., and we could arrange a meet-up to see if we’re a good match! :slight_smile:
Do bring your child/children along, I think it’s essential that the younger ones have a say in this as well.
Lastly, I’ve no fixed bottom-line on the working hours, compensation and reimbursements etc, we could discuss the details once we meet up.

Thank you!

p.s. if anything goes well, I could also continue to babysit/tutor your child/children after summer but can’t be a live-in anymore.

Wow! This is very interesting. I wasn’t aware that it was legal for foreign undergraduate students to get work-permits for tutoring high school students and/or work-permits for being an au pair.

Since most people are probably unaware that this is now legal, could you please post your experience regarding obtaining your work-permits for tutoring and being an au pair in the Legal Issues At Work forum?

I’m certain that there are many other foreign students in Taiwan who would like to know the proper procedures for seeking legal employment in Taiwan whilst in a student status.

Thanks. :bow:

Yes, international students can work part time legally by obtaining a work permit.

But there are certain criteria, e.g. one has financial difficulties and need the extra income to sustain his/her studies and living, or for inter-school research/off-campus internships etc. In my case, I’ve sought help from my faculty, the staff was very kind to help out in applying for the work permit after my freshman year.

OH! There are also other stipulations- the minimum duration that one has been in Taiwan and must be officially enrolled in a school to take courses for two semesters or more, etc… I’ve a lot of friends who tutor others in their native languages in their free time, I guess this falls under the grey area? I’m not too sure, but I’ve heard that language related ad hoc jobs are much more flexible, the student wouldn’t be burdened by the duration stipulation.

As for being au pair, I think I lack a better word for it (than using “au pair”). Because, once again I must stress that I’m not certified to be one, I’m more like, a tutor who could babysit and have experiences doing so. I really don’t want to give parents the wrong impression that I’ve been formally trained to do so.

As bad as it sounds, or as honest as I could be, it’s always risky entrusting your child/children to another person whom is practically a stranger. Especially so when I lack certification. Hence, I hope I could give parents some peace of mind, by welcoming them to conduct background checks on me with my school/previous employers.

Well, with most matters in life, at the end of the day, all we can do, is to make an educated decision. Even that, still comes with its own set of risks. Okay, I better stop going on and on, (and totally not helping my case) -_- before no one dares to approach me. So, parents, um, PM me if you would give me a chance to prove myself?



My best advice to any international student would be - approach your school for help, more often than not, the staff would be willing to help you out step by step, and the work permit application forms could be downloaded from a lot of the school official website! (Sorry I still replied on this thread. :bow:)

Some more details and clarification if you don’t mind.

So, your school assisted you in obtaining a work-permit for tutoring high school students or being a tutor/babysitter (au pair)?

If not for these jobs, then what type of employment did your university staff assist you in obtaining a work-permit?

Have your friends obtained legal work-permits for their language tutoring? Did their universities assist them in obtaining work-permits based on tutoring?

What do you mean by grey area? You certainly don’t mean illegal employment without a work-permit and without declaring income and paying taxes on it, do you? If this IS what you mean, then there is no grey area. It’s black and white…illegal. Not getting caught in a lie is not the same as telling the truth. Are you familiar with the penalties a foreigner in Singapore faces for illegal employment? There are no grey areas, only legal and illegal. :no-no:

Excellent advice! :thumbsup:

My school assisted me in obtaining a work-permit for tutoring high school students.
For being tutor this summer, I’m yet to obtain any permit, still looking for employment opportunities.

One, hmm… I don’t think all of them have applied for permits. Two, the grey area, I meant “I’m not too sure, but I’ve heard that language related ad hoc jobs are much more flexible, the student wouldn’t be burdened by the duration stipulation.” the minimum duration applicable for language related jobs.

Hope this clarifies~ thanks!

I actually did get a work permit for a English language workshop of four weeks last summer. In that case we didn’t have to worry about duration or being native speakers. On the other hanf, we were not paid to teach English, rather skills like academic event planning. The money we got was declared and taxed at 6%.