Female hair loss

You’re not standing outside in the acid rain by chance, are ya? :wink:

Well, most women here seem to open an umbrella at the first sign of a possible heavy mist. So, I doubt that is it.
I, myself don’t open my umbrella unless it is really raining and yet I don’t have a hair problem. So, I don’t think that acid rain has anything to do with it.

[quote=“petr0lb0mb”]Well, most women here seem to open an umbrella at the first sign of a possible heavy mist. So, I doubt that is it.
I, myself don’t open my umbrella unless it is really raining and yet I don’t have a hair problem. So, I don’t think that acid rain has anything to do with it.[/quote]

I was joking, I assumed you hadn’t. Locals used to tell me that exposing yourself repeatedly to acid rain caused hair loss, so that just crossed my mind.

I first went overseas in 1996 when I was 22 years old. I had very long, thick, wavy Italian hair. I was living in a very hot, humid climate and my hair thinned out significantly after the first year, so much so that when I went home to visit, my family noticed. After two years of living there, I returned to the NE of the United States and my hair thickened up again to its normal state after about 6 months.

I left home again in 2000 and have been living in really hot climates since then, and my hair has thinned out a bit again. It’s still thick and wavy, but much thinner than it used to be. So, I attribute it to the heat (in my case anyway).

I would see a doctor to be on the safe side, though.

The beauty bitches on television (sorry ladies for the use of the “b” word but I detest those people) are finally catching on apparently. I saw for the first time last night they have developed an expensive product to treat baldness in women. All the models were white, interestingly enough.

Anybody who doesn’t believe this is happening big time isn’t looking. Try photographing the phenomenon and see how many you notice. They are EVERYWHERE.

It will soon be warm enough for women to start wearing low cut blouses and showing thier boobs around all over the place. I am going to try to get a nice pair with a balding head on top. That’ll wake 'em up.

[quote=“Indiana”][quote=“petr0lb0mb”]Well, most women here seem to open an umbrella at the first sign of a possible heavy mist. So, I doubt that is it.
I, myself don’t open my umbrella unless it is really raining and yet I don’t have a hair problem. So, I don’t think that acid rain has anything to do with it.[/quote]

I was joking, I assumed you hadn’t. Locals used to tell me that exposing yourself repeatedly to acid rain caused hair loss, so that just crossed my mind.

I first went overseas in 1996 when I was 22 years old. I had very long, thick, wavy Italian hair. I was living in a very hot, humid climate and my hair thinned out significantly after the first year, so much so that when I went home to visit, my family noticed. After two years of living there, I returned to the NE of the United States and my hair thickened up again to its normal state after about 6 months.

I left home again in 2000 and have been living in really hot climates since then, and my hair has thinned out a bit again. It’s still thick and wavy, but much thinner than it used to be. So, I attribute it to the heat (in my case anyway).

I would see a doctor to be on the safe side, though.[/quote]
My hair is EXACTLY like it was.Lived in, humid Bombay, shifted to dry Delhi, moved to super cold, super dry Beijing, and then wet, moisty Taiwan and now I’m back in Delhi, it’s still really thick, wavy and crazier than ever. I’d )happily) lose some hair during swimming season, but it all just comes back.

Bob, you’re right. Diet is a big problem. TW women really don’t eat. They find it easier to eat less and maintain their bodies, than to go out in the sun and work out and all the screwed up diet, slimming teas just kind of add up. Your hair (and nails) are a good yardstick of your overall health…thinning lustreless hair is not a good sign and did we already cover the use of a zillion products in the hair??? I don’t even bother using conditioner on my hair, and I don’t look all polished and well kempt but guess what?? at least I have my tresses!

Stress is one of a good reason to hair loss. Just eat a lot of protein and always remember what you eat will affect you both on the inside and on the outside.

[quote=“divea”]

Bob, you’re right. Diet is a big problem. TW women really don’t eat. They find it easier to eat less and maintain their bodies, than to go out in the sun and work out and all the screwed up diet, slimming teas just kind of add up. Your hair (and nails) are a good yardstick of your overall health…thinning lustreless hair is not a good sign and did we already cover the use of a zillion products in the hair??? I don’t even bother using conditioner on my hair, and I don’t look all polished and well kempt but guess what?? at least I have my tresses![/quote]

Yeah, this could be the primary reason actually…poor diet (and lack of exercise). Hair, nails, teeth, skin…they are all outward indicators of good health.

Even if a person is eating, how much TW food is actually packed with vitamins, protein, etc.? Most of it is cooked to death and/or swimming in so much oil that most or all nutritional value has been depleted.

Heard of two local female friends are losing clumps or spots of hair. It must be something in the diet either not eating healthy enough or adding something local in the diet like a supplement, weight loss addition, etc. these two are extremely worried about being fat and want to be slim, yet they eat unhealthy and eat fattening foods, and dont exercise, so they must be taking something that claims to make them slim.

I don’t know a single Taiwanese person who won’t readily agree that something really weird is happening here. LOTS of really young women going half fucking bald.

I don’t think it’s the diet simply because my wife had this problem periodically and she always ate very healthily and exercised too. It has improved since we moved house and city and she gave up a stressful job.

Im pretty sure its immune system related not really caused by deficiency in diet. So something is causing an autoimmune reaction, it could be stress, it could be an environmental pollutant or it could be an infectious disease. I think there is something different here that is causing this although it would be useful to compare to South Korea to see if the same phenomenon is happening there.

Now I think about it it could also be related to genetics , this generation of women don’t usually give birth until their 30s if at all, their bodies hormonal systems may not be tuned right. A similar theory could apply to allergies being caused by lack of parasites in the environment which does not prime our innate immune system properly.

The cause should be possible to narrow down by linking to geographic locations, ages, lifestyles etc.

[quote=“headhonchoII”] I don’t think it’s the diet simply because my wife had this problem periodically and she always ate very healthily and exercised too. It has improved since we moved house and city and she gave up a stressful job.
[/quote]

Do you mean that her hair started growing back? I have been curious whether or not this thing was permanent.

I guess you are right about it being possible to somehow get to the bottom of this and I hope someone does. It is really sad to see.

Yes it was pretty serious for a while but it grew back but still varies a bit over time. It’s difficult for men but even more difficult for women. You ask the experts the cause but they are not sure, in some cases it is due to not sleeping enough (you know the type, engineers and gamers eating pao mian for weeks on end) or work related stress. That’s the cause that is most obvious and gets the most airplay. The main reason for hair loss seems to be an auto immune reaction and not diet related like many people assume. Auto immune disease is poorly understood. As I said my bet is it could be pollution, genetics (due to changes in modern womens lifestyle compared to older generations) or side effect of an infectious disease.
But I think the root cause(s) have not really been ferreted out.