Fermented Food & Drink: Recipes, science, opinions and discussion

I’ve been enjoying drinking kombucha, lately. I hated it at first sip, but it grew on me fast. Low calories, tastes like pale ale, and can offer a tiny buzz if you don’t drink alcohol often. It’s technically non alcoholic, but it can be from 0.5 to 4 percent alcohol, depending on a few things.

I’ve been grabbing this instead of beer when I crave beer. I may have lost some weight. Plus, natural probiotics, so there’s another bonus.

3 Likes

It’s Alive!

It’s a bit late to be ready for this weekend so I’ll pop it in the fridge and brew on Monday or Tuesday, ready for next.

It took a lot longer than summer time, and I got a couple of specks of blue mold that I had to scoop out, but looks and smells fine now.

1 Like

Natto? ( nado?)

I get that. Like everything that smells funky, looks strange, weird textures etc. When we are raised on it all bets are off :slight_smile:

To be fair, i bet fermented beans are much healthier than all types of cheese! At least the body shape of Japanese and my people sure look different.

1 Like

My people? Pingtung(or do you mean somewhere else)? Should be the same.

2 Likes

HAHAHA man that just made be burp. I was talking about my country of birth . But pingtung works too. Lol, nice one!

1 Like

3 Likes

No details? Dark beers are an instant win in my book :slight_smile:

One of them is going to be killed.

It may end up too alcoholic if the introduced yeast wins, I read that the yeast on ginger doesn’t ferment that much.

Here was the finished product, I did a lemonade in the end with one litre water, juice of 3 lemons and 6tbs of sugar and half cup of the ginger bug, brewed for 3 days.

3 Likes

The main question is which one? With added yeast we know whats there. Every home brew has wild yeasts by proxy. While we pretend we know as we assume thats the majority, its not really tested and undersood as far as the exact biota. With wild yeasts it is a roll of the dice. albeit an educated roll. It works out often but we shouldnt pretend we know precisely whats happening.

Guess it depends what we are doing. Brewing drinks seems safer. I think its bad practice though if venturing into some other products. Such as meat. Food poisoning can lead to death, many a kimchi has caused a puke filled day. so a basic level of consistency isnt a bad idea

1 Like

Bit surprised how good these cherry tomatoes turned out. Normally i just use a few regular ones for nutrition. But these made the pineapple way way more aromatic, and not in tomato way. Quite nice.

Racked til summer and see :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Did you try fermented Taro? (poi in Hawaii, sometimes aged)

1 Like

No i havent. Unless there is a name in mandarin locally ,i bet i dont even know what it is!

Cheers for the suggestion, will look into it!

1 Like

FYI; Poi (food) - Wikipedia

You will have make it as almost no one knows what it is. Only Hawaiian locals know it.

2 Likes

See this, ask in ice shops or traditional dessert shops. In Hawaii , I do not like it sweet (some people do), I like with Hawaiian pulled pork (pig)
Taro purée - Wikipedia

Have had taro paste here, but seems different than the poi dish. Fermenting sounds interesting

1 Like

Come fly to Hawaii so you try it (New cheap Japanese Airline ZIP, is cheapo). Its hard to tell you the taste without you trying it, paste might be like a mash potato and poi is more than that.

2 Likes

The day i can fly to hawaii just for food is the day i am a very VERY satisfied man! I will have to enjoy through others for now.

1 Like

So what keeps you in Southern Taiwan vs. Hawaii.

1. Freedom.
  2. A sense of improving my environment.
  3. Taiwan is more biologically interesting.
1 Like