Ferry to Green Island

Hallo!
Does anyone know the best way to buy ferry tickets to green island? Is there a website (preferably in English) that sells them? The links on the Taitung government website pertaining to the ferry companies are all dead ends.
thanks in advance!

The tickets are sold at the ferry terminal… several different boat companies sailing over hourly/daily…word of warning, stay on the top deck… many and I mean many Taiwanese get sea sick and the bottom deck by the bathroom stink…it’s a beautiful trip over…

Thanks sleepingtiger, so can i take it from your post that it’s mostly unnecessary to book a ticket? Do enough boats go every day so that you can just turn up at the terminal and buy one there?

my experience was that I bought tickets from one of the ferry companies when I arrived at the terminal. They leave every hour or two, from memory. One of the bumpiest rides i’d every been on. Try not to have a full stomach when you get on board.

In my experience, if you don’t book you won’t find any seat in most cases. Last time we went there we missed our ferry and had to wait for one day in Taidong before being given a seat on another one. Unfortunately the reservation was taken care of by a Taiwanese friend of mine, so I can’t say I know how to book tickets.

I booked mine at the ferry terminal.

No problem.

[quote=“Tomhighig”]I booked mine at the ferry terminal.

No problem.[/quote]

During holidays, it can get damn busy…

Use this contact (harbor agent) to book all ferry lines

089 280 282

I’m thinking about going in early July, from the 4th until the 7th. The 4th is on a Thursday, but right after school gets out. Would it be necessary to book in advance? I think I would buy my ticket for the return the same time I buy my other ticket. Need to be back at work on Monday morning and don’t want to be stuck on the island. Can you buy the return journey at the same time as your outgoing trip? Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Okay, just got back from Green Island on Sunday. I left on a Thursday morning, and was able to get a ticket for the ferry no problem. I also purchased my return ticket at that time for Sunday. No problem, even though Sunday is an extremely busy travel day. Got lucky on both rides, as they were quite smooth.

Seems that you can just show up and get a ticket. But if you are going to leave on a Sunday, I suggest buying your ticket in advance.

Is the top deck outside? If not, are you allowed outside anywhere on the boat, or is the whole journey enclosed?

Nothing better than sailing across the blue with the wind in your face.
Nothing worse than being rolled around inside with the stench of other folk’s vomit in your nostrils.

You can go outside on the top and bottom decks. You do not need to be inside the entire time. Both my rides were very smooth for this ferry and I preferred to sit in my seat. The return journey was like being on a lake! Smooth as velvet, only waves came from another passing boat.

Interesting the govt has evacuated some 2500 tourists from Green Island in anticipation of the typhoon coming.

Wonder what kind of boats or planes they used?

[quote=“Nuit”]Is the top deck outside? If not, are you allowed outside anywhere on the boat, or is the whole journey enclosed?

Nothing worse than being rolled around inside with the stench of other folk’s vomit in your nostrils.[/quote]

There is something worse, standing on top deck and getting the blow back of somebody’s vomit in front of you.

Believe me you don’t want this to happen :slight_smile:.

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“Nuit”]Is the top deck outside? If not, are you allowed outside anywhere on the boat, or is the whole journey enclosed?

Nothing worse than being rolled around inside with the stench of other folk’s vomit in your nostrils.[/quote]

There is something worse, standing on top deck and getting the blow back of somebody’s vomit in front of you.

Believe me you don’t want this to happen :slight_smile:.[/quote]

No, that should never happen :noway:.
Hoping it was family rather than stranger vomit.

holidays you may want to book, and maybe even some good clear weekends in summer.

i get sick on it every time. my suggestion to anyone is get a seat and dont fucking move. keep facing straight and keep your eyes closed, try to sleep if you can (we all know you cant). gum will work but i find hard candies better to suck on. the dried plum with candy around it types work good. taste nasty but work.

don’t sit in the front. or at teh back for the smell/sound of others puking. dont sit by the window. dont keep trying to take pictures.

if you dont get sick, outside many times we see dolphins which is cool.

Bring a few liters of sunscreen. spf 3 digits and water proof.

warnign about the tiny electric scooters. pretty lame, especially uphill.