FET, racist company

Today I had one of these unnecessary arguments with someone at the FET (far eastern telephone) main office.
For years I pay every few months for a new IF… card and they are happy to take my money for a very expensive non-service, because all you can do with it is call … not even abroad roaming.
Now I asked if I could eventually change to a monthly contract if they had a promotion on a good new 3G phone … well becasue I’m a foreigner they can’t give me a promotion, not even after having an 3 year ARC and am living in Taiwan for 10 years … thank you racist company … good enough to take my IF… card money but nothing else.

I would suggest that foreigners living in Taiwan would try to avoid buying anything from FET … just because they are a hypocritic racist company …

As soon as my IF card runs out I’ll look for a better substitute, which will sadly cancel my recent phone number …

I have only good words for ChongHua Telecom. Don’t know about their IF cards, though. I have a cell phone contract with them for over 6 years already and have never experienced any problems. I upgraded phones, twice and free of charge, after I’ve had my contract for a certain period of time. I even have a landline and ADSL thru ChongHua, and once again, no problems.

Maybe you could give it a try?

There might be some horror stories out there. Lucky me, perhaps?

My SO and I have both a monthly contract with Chunghwa Telecom. Same contract as any other Taiwanese has. I think a friend of us signed with us to pay our bills if we won’t. But I am sure that your wife will be able to do this for you.

Chunghwa has been good to me too.
I had to get a local guaranteur but not a big deal.

I know ZhongHua actually has some services that are aimed at foreigners. That’s all I know. But that says a lot, I think.

Because as foreigners there is a risk they will run away without paying their bill. :raspberry:

Its not racist because the rule applies to all foreigners, even overseas born Taiwanese who are not resident.

Many countries / companies have rules that apply differently to foreigners, but it doesn’t make them racist.

[quote=“Tyc00n”]Its not racist because the rule applies to all foreigners, even overseas born Taiwanese who are not resident.

Many countries / companies have rules that apply differently to foreigners, but it doesn’t make them racist.[/quote]

That is racist discrimination … no way around … not giving promotions to foreigners

I believe Zhonghua and TaiwanMobile (Taiwan Dageda) will let you pay a deposit to get a monthly contract.

I had the same problem with FET and decided to never go to them for anything ever again.

This is the same as many companies in Taiwan. California springs to mind.
“Oh no if you are a foreigner you can’t use the one month free cards”

or

“You can’t get that rate”
“Why not?”
“Because you are a foreigner, so it doesn’t apply”

[quote=“Hongda”]Because as foreigners there is a risk they will run away without paying their bill. :raspberry:[/quote]I have met quite a few that have simply split without clearing up the bills or cancelling contracts, so it’s (IMO) a justifiable concern.

try opening a bank account in england if you want “racist” treatment…even with a UK passport and a salary check for 600 quid i was refused…these kind of barriers are common all over the world if theres any risk of “flight” for want of a better word…

[quote=“belgian pie”][quote=“Tyc00n”]Its not racist because the rule applies to all foreigners, even overseas born Taiwanese who are not resident.

Many countries / companies have rules that apply differently to foreigners, but it doesn’t make them racist.[/quote]

That is racist discrimination … no way around … not giving promotions to foreigners[/quote]

I was just arguing that foreigner does not = race, even though most foreigners do happen to be a different race.

Regardless, its pretty unacceptable descrimination.

[quote=“Tyc00n”][quote=“belgian pie”][quote=“Tyc00n”]Its not racist because the rule applies to all foreigners, even overseas born Taiwanese who are not resident.

That is racist discrimination … no way around … not giving promotions to foreigners[/quote]

I was just arguing that foreigner does not = race, even though most foreigners do happen to be a different race.

Regardless, its pretty unacceptable descrimination.[/quote]
Yup, I have an overseas Taiwanese friend living here with her two sisters. Taiwan passports but no Taiwan household registration. They got the same treatment from FET.

If they don’t want your business, it’s their loss. There are other companies who do.

I’ve been with FET for almost 10 years now without any trouble. I started with the IF card, but it totally sucks, too expensive. I switched to a package plan after one month of that stupidity and had to pay a deposit of NT$2000 or $3000, I can’t recall.

I can’t say I’ve had any trouble with them. Perhaps some rules have changed, but my friend who arrived 4 years ago and is still here got a package plan without trouble as well. ARC or passport seemed to do the trick. They won’t offer you a deal on a new phone that the locals will get, but how anyone thinks that is racism is beyond me. Sure, it sucks, but racism? Come on…

I’ve heard that Chung-Hwa Telecom’s offering, Taiwan Da-Ge-Da, has better signal strength and reception in general, but I’ve got nothing to back that up.

As others have said though, if you don’t feel FET wants your business or don’t like the way they operate, choose another company. It can’t be that hard.

[quote=“Mer”]…

I can’t say I’ve had any trouble with them. Perhaps some rules have changed, but my friend who arrived 4 years ago and is still here got a package plan without trouble as well. ARC or passport seemed to do the trick. They won’t offer you a deal on a new phone that the locals will get, but how anyone thinks that is racism is beyond me. Sure, it sucks, but racism? Come on…

I’ve heard that Chung-Hwa Telecom’s offering, Taiwan Da-Ge-Da, has better signal strength and reception in general, but I’ve got nothing to back that up.

As others have said though, if you don’t feel FET wants your business or don’t like the way they operate, choose another company. It can’t be that hard.[/quote]

That’s not racisme? come on … They (Taiwanese) can get it (new phone promotions) but we can’t, on the other hand they are happy to get our money from an IF card.

Signal strength is another point they are withholding their clients … but are happy to accept their money … come on …

[quote=“belgian pie”]
That’s not racisme? [/quote]

It’s not racism.

It’s business. And yes, I am pretty sure they are happy to get your money. No?

Wait I’m confused - Taiwan DaGeDa is Chung-Hwa Telecom? I thought they were separate companies.

Also, Taiwan DaGeDa’s reception has been awful for me.

Anyone tried Vibo?

Wait I’m confused - Taiwan DaGeDa is Chung-Hwa Telecom? I thought they were separate companies.
Also, Taiwan DaGeDa’s reception has been awful for me.[/quote]
Taiwan Da Ge Da is TCC (Taiwan Cellular Corporation), which is different from Chung-hua (Zhong-hua) Telecom.
TCC’s reception isn’t notorious for being awful nor worse than other telecommunication companies. The reception may have more to do with the mobile phone itself.