Fiance/Spouse US Visa questions

i worked in TW for 5 months and met my girlfriend during this time. after that she came to the U.S. for about 5 months. now she has returned to TW and has been working for a few months and i’m in the U.S. working. we’ve been talking about getting married and her coming to live in the U.S. but don’t know the best way to apply for the visas. is it better to apply for a fiance visa or to get married somewhere and then apply for a spouse visa.

also, is it possible to wade through the paperwork alone or do i need to pay a bunch of money for an immigration attorney? does anyone know how long it takes or how much it all costs? can she still come on her visitor visa while the paperwork is processing?

i also got a full scholarship to an international mba program in TW so a secondary option we were considering is me doing that for two years and then DCF filing. this is looking less likely to happen since we think we want to live in the U.S. for now.

anyone gone through this process? i thought there’d be plenty of posts in the forum but i didn’t see any.

If you can get married in Taiwan the process may actually be easier overall. Dont need an attorney. And the Immigrant visa was less then 200 bucks as I recall.

It was an easy process and straight forward. The AIT can give you all the details as to what needs to be done ,documents needed etc.

thanks for the reply. when you talk about getting married in Taiwan and working through AIT are you talking about DCF? i heard that’s a pretty easy process but i believe to do that i would have to live in Taiwan for 6 consecutive months before filing.

[quote=“tommy525”]If you can get married in Taiwan the process may actually be easier overall. Dont need an attorney. And the Immigrant visa was less then 200 bucks as I recall.

It was an easy process and straight forward. The AIT can give you all the details as to what needs to be done ,documents needed etc.[/quote]