Fiction Writers' Group

Any other Taipei scribblers out there interested in meeting once a week or thereabouts to savage each other’s short fiction? Did this recently in Taichung and found that, at least while we were sober, the feedback was mostly worthwhile. At the very minimum, the pressure to actually produce got me to the keyboard more often. PM or post…

May I suggest you open the doors to poets and song writers and playwrights, too…?

Some few years ago in Taipei, I participated in a very active and exciting group of writers. We used to meet upstairs at Kiss Pizza (when it was still going…) I formed vivid impressions of all those varied individuals.

Then, I wrote this story, [color=red]the group[/color], based on all the interesting people I met at that writer’s group, so it is really a portrait of “real” people.

Perhaps we could get something going again, it is a question of getting people to bring material once a week, or twice a month. On a SUNDAY night would be best… At some cozy coffee shop, like Peshawar, wherever…

anyone else interested?

Opening it up to all creative writing genres sounds fine. Personally I’ve workshopped fiction and poetry before (my poetry sucks, so it’s not my favorite genre, but I’m willing to embarrass myself in public).

Writers, I know you’re out there in Taipei–I know Taichung supported two writing groups while I was there. Surely Taipei has at least enough for one!

I helped get one of the Taichung groups going, and it took a bit of doing to match everyone’s schedules. Sunday nites are a bit problematic for me, as I’m often still going down to the Chung on weekends. The thing to do is to see who’s interested, and then set up a nite that works for the majority.

Coffee shops sound OK, as long as there’s someplace to get beer close by afterwards!

I wrote a poem once. “There once was a man from Venus, which a popcicle in the shape of a …” nevermind the poem sucks anyways.

My last resume was not received well. I need to learn how to jazz it up.

I’d be interested in a writers’ workshop type of thing. Short fiction would be my genre…

Forum discourse is the new literacy. At least there the writers are forced to pull their heads out of their asses long enough to tell the other writers to pull their heads out of their asses and in the brief instant when heads meet out of asses magic sometimes occurs. There are enough interesting, amusing, enlightening exchanges in this one forum to keep a reader busy for months.

Of course though a writers group does sound like fun. It would be nice to get a little live feedback.

I am in if absolute shitty writers are welcome.
But I am a busy girl so I might flake half the time.

Is there a group meeting these days? The related posts I saw are pretty old.

Hi, I’m gonna join this long list of messages by people talking about writing and meeting, though I can’t seem to see that there’s anything organized yet. It’s kinda scary doing the organizing and realising you have to have things ready to share. If people are meeting or would like to please let me know now!

I’m kinda afraid of initiating something big that doesn’t work out. If anyone would like to meet me for a coffee and just chat about writing or share a bit of our writing on a one to one basis, that would be really cool!

Thomas
0952 646 541
tomgodber@gmail.com

[quote=“dreamliving”]Hi, I’m gonna join this long list of messages by people talking about writing and meeting, though I can’t seem to see that there’s anything organized yet. It’s kinda scary doing the organizing and realising you have to have things ready to share. If people are meeting or would like to please let me know now!

I’m kinda afraid of initiating something big that doesn’t work out. If anyone would like to meet me for a coffee and just chat about writing or share a bit of our writing on a one to one basis, that would be really cool!

Thomas
0952 646 541
tomgodber@gmail.com[/quote]

Good advise from Stray Dog who began Animals Taiwan. Don’t say you are thinking about starting something. Say you have started something and invite people to join you on a certain date. People respond to enthusiam and a hint of organization. They are very willing to join in something that seems to be moving already. They, like you, are hesitant to begin something.

I’d love to get in touch with aspiring writers in Taiwan. I work in a film production company and have written mostly short scripts, although I am currently working on a couple of feature screenplays. I have also attempted short stories and have recently started a blog. http://diaryofalazywriter.blogspot.com

Here’s an idea: Instead of discussing about when/where/how/why to meet up, we could be discussing writing right here in the forum! Any thoughts?

lazychair