FIFA World Cup 2018

I’m assuming he’s not put in names with Ranaldo and Messi or people think he has the potential ceiling that high? I’ve watched him play maybe 7-8 times and not crazy impressed.

I dont watch this sport often but Polands first goal against themselves just now was very nice.

They looked even more foolish with the 2nd goal of the game.

They’re my new favorite.

Senegal was great, lot of pace and energy. A bit chaotic at times, but very entertaining. Mane, like Salah of Egypt, are true superstars.

Poland looked decent in the beginning, but boy did they make bad passes later on.

What I don’t get in football is that players who have no problem accurately passing the ball to teammates over great distances, even under pressure, are totally missing the goal when trying to shoot from the distance. It’s almost like when they think of scoring a goal they automatically switch their brains off and then just hammer the ball without looking at it properly. Just focus on the ball and make sure the foot connects with it precisely. It ain’t that difficult. Always baffles me that at this high level you see badly missed shots every single game.

There are exceptions, of course. Coutinho of Brazil showed how it’s done. Focus on the ball, don’t use brute force, place it in a corner.

1 Like

Yes. Some of the misses. Just terrible.

I would guess it’s not just the pressure. Your momentum and balance is usually not as off keel when passing. Also usually have more spacing and angles.

I just want to see more of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4l-Orw3u6k

Portugal is not an elite team. An elite team does not play defense for 85 minutes against a team like Morocco. Feel sorry for the Moroccans, played well, but couldn’t keep the ball down.

That miss by Ronaldo in the second half was exactly the kind of shot I had in mind when thinking about poor shooting from the distance. No defenders around, the ball roll towards him and he hammers it about 5 meters above the crossbar. Multiple world footballer of the year and can’t keep the ball on target.

5:30 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgPal-OSJ4o

1 Like

That’s even more props to Portugal if they aren’t a elite team. You’re just trying to win, anyway possible and make it out the group. You get the same points 2-0 don’t you?

Ronaldo is a God amongst men right now. I hope they win it all, he will be undeniably the GOAT if he takes them to the promise land. Retire from international play and walk off into the sunset.

They walked a very thin line. Morocco created quite a few good chances, but like so many smaller teams they couldn’t finish. A great team does not give an opponent so many chances by standing so deep. I hope they crash out against Russia if they play them in the next round.

GOAT? His World Cup track record won’t allow for that. Just one goal per tournament in three attempts prior to this one. Pele pisses on his golden boot.

Why oh why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLKN3o7laHI

Pele def the goat

If he carries this team like he has so far and wins it, he’ll be remembered for this one and all will be atoned.

In the last game he did nothing, except score that one goal. For the most part he was walking around watching his teammates play defense. His greatness is undeniable (as is his vanity) but the last game was trash.

1 Like

Did anyone google Wanda because they keep seeing it? Lots of Chinese sponsors that I have no idea what they are.

The winning goal! Sometimes all it takes is being in the right place right time. I notice it’s hard for even great players to consistently do well vs say basketball where one player like LeBron can just take a weak team to the championship and take over. I don’t know football well enough but I do notice some players seem to well from positioning and always being in the right place right time. He did enough in my eyes. Got them the win.

Argentina got tooled by Croatia.
someone else noted:
Argentina’s heaviest defeat in the first round group stages of a World Cup tournament since losing 1-6 to Czechoslovakia in 1958.