Filing Taiwan Taxes

Is it easy enough to file your own tax returns here in TW? Do they have English forms? Any links to websites?

If it is a pain in the ass, do you have a good local tax accountant that you can refer. How much do they charge on average?

It’s easier than easy. In fact, if you don’t feel like doing it, you can take the documents and the forms up to the window (at least write your name and address, though) and play dumb and the nice girls who work there will pretty much walk you through it. There are lots of volunteers in the office towards the deadline date as well, all of whom want to practice their English and help you out.

I don’t dread doing taxes in the ROC. The US is another matter… :shock:

Terry @ just got hit for money by the IRS from 1999…

Whilst Terry is generally correct about it being very easy, if you leave it to the staff at the tax office then you will only get the bare minimum of allowances.

There are many others which they will not give you, you effectively have to claim them. Quite often the claiming of an allowance requires documentary proof that you are entitled. I am hoping to put a document together in time for the next tax year to help people with some of these.

The forms are not difficult and are available in English.

Has anyone received their tax rebate this year?

I must have had very good luck in getting very hard-working or conscientious ladies at the tax office…one of them even suggested that we subtly re-categorize a portion of my income so I could take deductions for “makeup and supplies” as a performer! (I’m not sure just which visa category she thought that fell under, but visa questions never come up at the Tax Office, fortunately).

Everyone – don’t forget that if you have any aged parents (over 60), you can deduct them so long as you can offer the following proofs:

1. Proof of relationship (first time you deduct only) – i.e., birth certificate.
  2. Proof that parent(s) is/are still alive during the tax year (they prefer a medical bill from some government source, like Medicare, if possible, but anything will do.)
  3. Proof that you have “sent the parents money” (this can be ANY amount, even if you normally just send your own money to their account so they can deposit it somewhere else for you that’s OK.) Just have a receipt for a transfer ready and presto, you can deduct the cost of maintaining your dear parent(s) (also works for underaged siblings who are still students and/or handicapped family members).

And – best of all – when the darlings hit 70, you get an even bigger deduction. :laughing:

How does all this work when a school withholds tax ? As the school will withhold too much tax, given that they are not interested in whether you have a spouse, parents, etc, does the tax office issue a refund ? Does the school provide a statement of withheld tax that can be taken to the tax office ?

Yep, received all of my refunds in late september or early october.
Put a smile on my face to see them arriving earlier than usual.

All employers must by law provide an annual statement of tax withheld, and this obviously should agree to the total of the monies that they have withheld from you. Whether you work for a bushiban, a local school or an ordinary company then this is true. All the banks must also provide a statement of interest earned and tax deducted. Anyone that does not is breaking the law, and for once it is a law that the government do not seem to treat us foreignors any different from the locals.

It is worth noting, that up to a certain limit, then interest earned from Banks etc is tax free, even though the banks have deducted tax, you can claim it back.
It is also worth noting that overtime is a non taxable source of income, and no tax, including withholding tax should be deducted once you have completed the first six months.

[quote=“Traveller”]It is worth noting, that up to a certain limit, then interest earned from Banks etc is tax free, even though the banks have deducted tax, you can claim it back.
It is also worth noting that overtime is a non taxable source of income, and no tax, including withholding tax should be deducted once you have completed the first six months.[/quote]

:unamused:
You’re making yourself look like a total dick…

Ironlady, you don’t need proof of sending them any money. Please don’t give them extra documents and spoil the deduction for the rest of us.

Remember, only give a bureaurat a document that they specifically request and nothing more.

Monkey, you’re an arse, if you do not want to reduce your tax bill to the lowest possible then go ahaead and carry on wasting your money, but dont blow suggestions just for the sake of it. Both of those comments are correct and valid under Taiwan tax rules.

Why is it that here is Taiwan, if your a foriegner that the tax office takes so long to pay you your rebate, but if you owe them money they take from you so quick.

[quote=“gazza”][quote=“ironlady”]
3. Proof that you have “sent the parents money” (this can be ANY amount, even if you normally just send your own money to their account so they can deposit it somewhere else for you that’s OK.) Just have a receipt for a transfer ready and presto, you can deduct the cost of maintaining your dear parent(s) (also works for underaged siblings who are still students and/or handicapped family members).
[/quote]

Ironlady, you don’t need proof of sending them any money. Please don’t give them extra documents and spoil the deduction for the rest of us.

Remember, only give a bureaurat a document that they specifically request and nothing more.[/quote]

Unless it’s changed in the recent past…you definitely DID need this proof in the past. It’s not all that difficult anyway, so don’t whine. Even sending them like US$50 is enough. Better to know about it, prepare the appropriate document, and fail to hand it to the tax people (if you so choose) and then be able to produce it on demand, than to believe it’s not necessary and get screwed when you’re in line at the tax office. For the handicapped family member(s) you also need proof that they cannot work, i.e., doctor’s statement in English or Chinese, AFAIK.

ALL non-exempt income derived from within Taiwan is taxable, and whether you have had tax witheld by your employer on overtime time doesn’t matter. When you file your tax return, you tax will still be computed to include those payments. What you don’t pay at source, you pay at year-end.
Tax on interest is also withheld at 20%, and the rules don’t change because it’s “interest.” Interest is just another category of income.

And as for “no tax, including withholding tax should be deducted once you have completed the first six months.” … I can’t imagine what that is supposed to mean. Whether you are paying a flat tax rate (non-resident) or on the progressive scale (resident), you still get taxed. Taxes don’t just disappear.

[quote=“ironlady”]
Unless it’s changed in the recent past…you definitely DID need this proof in the past. It’s not all that difficult anyway, so don’t whine. Even sending them like US$50 is enough. Better to know about it, prepare the appropriate document, and fail to hand it to the tax people (if you so choose) and then be able to produce it on demand, than to believe it’s not necessary and get screwed when you’re in line at the tax office. For the handicapped family member(s) you also need proof that they cannot work, i.e., doctor’s statement in English or Chinese, AFAIK.[/quote]

I have taken the deduction for 2 over 70 years of age grandparents for the past 3 tax years and never had to provide any such documents. I don’t do my taxes at the last minute and I asked beforehand at the tax office what docs I needed to satisfy them. I applied thru Taipei city tax office.

I stand corrected on the overtime (it’s bonuses I was thinking about):

Salaries and wages as provided in the preceding subparagraph shall include salaries, stipends, wages, allowances, annuities, cash awards, bonuses and all kinds of subsidies, whereas, the money received for performing duties for the employer as traveling expenditures, daily allowance and overtime pay not in excess of the prescribed amounts and the incomes which are exempt from income tax as prescribed under Article 4 of this Law shall be excluded.

I’m married for more almost 6 years and although my wife filed our joined taxes and I didn’t officially work, I got a tax claim for 3 NT$ for the year 90.

And it was still addressed to our old address (I live at the new address since 89)

What a joke!

Should I post here or start a new thread?

I hope you sent them a check for the NT$3. I like to send the phone company in the US ten checks to make up the total of $1.29 they decide I owed them AFTER they issue the “final bill” (I guess this was the “revised final bill”) just to push up their admin costs. I mean, duh!!

[quote=“monkey”] :unamused:
You’re making yourself look like a total di*k…[/quote]

Monkey, I have to admit, you are right about a lot of things, but I would appreciate you checking your facts more thoroughly before posting, and not rely on “heresay”. You were completely wrong about interest being taxable. Traveler said that interest income up to a certain limit is tax free. See the paragraph below, which was taken from this webpage:
ntak.gov.tw/forei/eng/enga12.html

[quote]Special Deduction for Savings and Investment:
Interest derived from deposits made in financial institutions, or accrued from governmental bonds, corporate bonds, and financial bonds, profits accrued from trust funds with the nature of savings as well as dividends occurred from the transaction, gift or inheritance of the tax-deferred stocks which is divided before Dec. 31 1998 received by a taxpayer, his/her spouse and the dependents listed in his/her gross income return for taxation may be exempted from income tax in full if the total amount of such income in the whole year does not exceed NT$270,000. If the amount exceeds NT$270,000, the deduction shall be limited to NT$270,000. However, interests accrued from postal passbook savings and short-term commercial paper shall be excluded .
[/quote]

I think Karma points should be adjusted accordingly. :wink: