Filing Taxes in 2022

This fine is a lot cheaper. $700-1500.

Don’t ask me how I know.

2 Likes

Now that’s a relief, does it typically trigger an investigation into other employees at the company?

Not really. It’s an administrative fine rather than civil and/or criminal. Levied against the company.

Ah, so they wont click and dig deeper then.

Dont want to get my friends slapped with heavy backtaxes

Update - they have agreed to correct it and ensure the full amount is reported.

Thank you for your help @Marco and everyone

5 Likes

Sharing my experience with online filing since I completed it successfully last night. I have to say that my case was rather simple with just overseas salary, no spouse/children and standard deduction.

For Windows users (I am, so Mac/Linux please don’t read :sweat_smile:), go to this webpage Individual IncomeTax for Aliens-軟體下載與報稅:財政部電子申報繳稅服務網 (nat.gov.tw) and download/install the software. Unsurprisingly Taiwanese, the website is in English but the blue box is written in Chinese: just click where you see a “Windows”.

As others wrote before, there are several ways to access. I used the NHI card, which I recommend because it seems to me as the easiest. The first step is visiting the local NHI office to activate the card for online services with a password (they will suggest you just go with the date of birth). The activation is done instantly. The second step is going to a 7-11 and purchase a card reader, like the one that @meishijia posted earlier. I am not paid to advertise it, but that product really works. I had previously bought another model and it was not recognised by the software.

After going back home, connect the card reader to your laptop, insert the NHI card and open the online filing software. Remember to change your time zone to Taiwan! The first page will ask you to select the access mode: go with NHI. If the card is recognised, you will be prompted a new window where to enter your ARC number. Then just start filing.

At the end you will be asked to select a payment method. I went for credit card to get my cashback (only Taiwanese banks and not all but most), entered number, expiry date and CCV and I was charged within hours. Man they are efficient when it comes to money :rofl: At that point I just needed to use my newly created NHI password to download the official certification.

4 Likes

Weird - I’ve never done this, and my NHI card works just fine with the tax software. I wonder if they activate it for online services by default these days (I got my first NHI card in September 2020).

How’d you get your NHI pin then?

I’m not entirely sure what that is, but if it’s the password thing you need to enter when you’re logging in to the tax software, I assume I got it online. (Didn’t we discuss this a couple of weeks ago?)

I definitely didn’t get it at the NHIA office though. I’ve only ever been there once (to register). I didn’t get it at a convenience store either, because I’ve never done anything with my NHI card in a convenience store. :man_shrugging:

Haha maybe

For future reference, you can register and activate your NHI card online…don’t have to go to the NHI office to get it activated. The link is here

You probably activated it a year ago when the “mask mandate” came out where we have to first register and then later pick up the masks in the pharmacies using the NHI app.

During the mask shortage more than a year ago, almost everyone had to register their NHI card if they wanted to use the NHI app to apply for the masks. I think that was when he set his password as I did it during that time too (also did it for my wife and kids)

3 Likes

Does anyone know what the goal this year is for sending tax refunds out? Last time I got a tax refund they got it out by June. I forgot to ask when I was at the tax office

Weird Taiwanese platforms…

This was my first attempt too, but the filing got stuck at the very end with a pop-up window telling me that the NHI card hadn’t been activated for online access with password.

I confirm this possibility although, in my case and again weirdly enough, the platform kept claiming that my card reader was not connected, although it was recognised by the tax filing platform :roll_eyes:

1 Like

In this case, you probably have to download and install the HICOS Client (It’s a software that enables an IC card to be accessed across multiple Govt. platforms). If you already have the Client installed (search for it under “Apps and features”), then you need to update it to the latest version (v3.1.0.21362)
Screenshot_1

3 Likes

Come to think of it this is the best thing about being a foreigner in Taiwan

1 Like

It can be. A bit of luck of the draw. Often there’s no one there - but if there are three or four people, you’ve got a long wait ahead of you.

I have a similar moral problem. I like my employer overall (I’ve been there over 2 years) but he also reports totally bogus figures and he’s been upfront in telling me not to disclose my actual income to the tax office.

He claims it’s to save me money but 1. It doesn’t save much and 2. I’ve been upfront in telling him I don’t want him to report bogus figures as I want to stay here long term. I asked him several times to report actual figures and he always says no. I wasn’t born yesterday and know he’s trying to save himself money somewhere.

Last year when I filed I hadn’t earned enough to need to pay even with true figures so I didn’t worry about it. It’s more of a problem this year because I have earned enough to need to pay.

My semi-solution is to file with the figures reported to the tax office. I’ve found a new job that does things by the book so I’ll quit and won’t have this problem again
This way I don’t burn bridges with my current employer and can start building some evidence for when I eventually apply for a home loan.

4 Likes

This is also my first time filing taxes in Taiwan and I have a quick question regarding the first step.

On their FAQ, the taxation bureau says to file at the district tax office that I reside in. So if I lived in Daan District (according to my ARC), then do I go to the Daan district tax office?

It’s a bit confusing because the FAQ also says this under: Foreigners in Taipei/Kaohsiung City are required to file income tax returns and pay corresponding taxes to the head office of the National Taxation Bureau of Taipei/Kaohsiung.

Does this mean I can file my taxes at either my district office or the Taipei head office in Zhonghua Rd.?

2 Likes

Better just to go to the foreign taxpayers section at the main Taipei City tax office near Beimen, I think.

2 Likes

No - from the FAQ you linked:

Foreigners in Taipei/Kaohsiung City are required to file income tax returns and pay corresponding taxes to the head office of the National Taxation Bureau of Taipei/Kaohsiung.

1 Like