Filipino or Sunday bars down south?

You’ve never heard of Jameson’s vs. Bushmills?

Never heard them
Drank a few but never heard either of them speak

1 Like

Have you tried this place?
https://www.englishintaiwan.com/business-directory/4567/boracay-sexy-philipino-bar-girls

1 Like

Wow, that’s quite a business name. The reality looks way less sexy:

5 Likes

I’d go if these guys were performing

There are actually a couple churches in and around the Combat Zone. I was only aware of 2 - St Christopher’s Church on Zhongshan N Road (which I’ve been told was originally the parish church of what was once a US airforce base) and St Dominic’s on Jilin Road. According to Google Maps, there are actually a number of other (non-Catholic) churches inside the Combat Zone. I was not aware that there apparently is an Iglesia ni Cristo church there, too! Looks like it is in Wan Wan.

1 Like

Yes, but many don’t have English services, if that matters.

Wonder why is this in the bars down south restaurant thread I don’t know.

I think there are Church threads.

I’m kinda looking for Catholic churches with English service.

Don Bosco Parish Church has English Mass Service on Sundays, 11:AM to 12 Noon.

Is it always morning, are evening mass in English a possibility? The one near me has English mass at 11am as well.

I’ve not ever heard of that in Tainan or Kaohsiung. I don’t have my ear to the ground. Many years ago in Chaiyi city, i was taken to a bar like that. Open weekends, it took up a whole floor of a rundown downtown commercial building. At noon, the atmosphere was like 2am in a club. No natural light, music, dancing, drinking, and food.
At the same time, it was their place. You’re only so welcome. I wouldn’t go there without a Philippines friend. Not that it wasn’t safe or anything…just their place to hang.

I’ve never seen Filipinos congregate in Kaohsiung on Sundays like they do in Hong Kong. I always thought they were forced to work 7 days a week here.

Factory girls were 2 days on 2 days off IIRC. Sometimes the day off us a Sunday and some go to church. I have heard of a ‘Filipino bar’ in Ktown but never been

Is your soul not worth getting up before lunch?

In my 2+ decades of going to Catholic masses throughout Taiwan, I’ve never come across an evening English mass, not that they might not exist.

You can look at this directory of North Taiwan churches and click on links to find a nearby church and its mass times and language. Can find other dioceses’ masses by going to main page (Schedule of Masses)

https://www.catholic.org.tw/en/Congregations/congreMassTpe2.html

Or this link of English masses throughout Taiwan:
https://www.catholic.org.tw/en/Congregations/congreMasEngl.html

I see St. Christopher’s church has a mass at 6pm on sunday.

I guess I will go to that one.

I’ve gone there on christmas eve at night, a lot of people there, mostly filippinos.

How do I become catholic?

Call up the church during office hours or try to talk to priest after mass. They’ll tell you.

DM if you have specific questions.

St. Christopher Church in has evening English mass on Saturdays and Sundays.

1 Like