Filipinos to Start Teaching English in Taiwan

Well, maybe we should just stop using logic and let nature take its course. I’m just telling you the trend these days in Asia. Since Taiwan is so concerned about it’s losing the competition with South Korea in being Asia’s little dragon, it should be aware that thousands of Koreans are coming each year to the Philippines to study English. There are many practical reasons for their choice. I need not enumerate them, but maybe one is to enjoy some sunshine. Should Taiwanese be pragmatic and stop being idealists? Depends on whether they would want to keep ahead of the competition. We’ll see in the end maybe. The end justifies the means.

Students are also coming from HK to hook up with Filipino university students as teachers during school holidays, apparently. It’s all good.

HG

If the last couple of posts are correct then why should people from the Philipines give a flying fick about what Taiwanese think about their English or teaching abilities? There are plenty of other options by the look of things. So, stand up, stand tall, wave one finger in the direction of Taiwan and march on over to where ya’ll are appreciated. Yeah.

:rainbow: There just had to be a good side to all this.

Are we witnessing the chabudouization of the English teaching field?

"Filipina maid or native speaker with an MA in Applied Linguistics? Close enough!

And as an added bonus for a few pesos more, you can probably get your “English teacher” to wash your car, give you massages every night, walk your dog and work as a waitress in your bar/restaurant.

seems like a no brainer to me.

Why pesos? You can get all of that now with good old Taiwan dollars, promises of maple syrup or dope.

But more seriously, why do you assume Filipinos would be less professional than anyone else? A nasty tone at the very least I say.

Sounds to me like you maybe quite amazed at the qualifications Filipino maids often have. It’s simple economics, editted by apparently judgemental co-mod…be nice oh HKey one

HG

I’s just thinking, and this is nothing new. I went to Dominican School over in Da Zhr in the 80s. Dominican is a Roman Catholic School with the head in the Philippines, I think. Anyway, most of the nuns/teachers were Filipina/Filipino. I got used to the accent. And Dominican School was established way before the 80s, so it’s been happening for a long time.

I don’t know how well our teachers got paid, but tuition back in the 80s was $50,00 NTD for a semester, with extras for EVERYTHING (bus, uniform, books, lunch, etc.). I know a lot went to the head church, but our teachers looked pretty well off.

Sorry, off topic, but this thread reminded me that Filipinos teaching in Taiwan is not a new thing. Everything at Dominican School is taught in English.

Most of the Philipina maids in Taiwan are probably better educated than most of the English teachers.

Most of the Filipina maids in Taiwan are probably better educated than most of the English teachers.[/quote]

That’s not the point though, is it?

English is a very easy language. If you are qualified to teach it, who cares where you’re from?
Unless, you are a white South African with a grudge.

I for one find this a welcome trend. The percentage of locals who will speak English with you is in the low single digits. This after 8, 12, 15, 20 years of study. Some of it under the skilled tutelage of your fellow Forumosans. This is a cost savings for parents and students alike. If you’re going to flush money down the toilet, better if its 100 NT notes, not 500 or 1000 NT notes.

[quote=“Tert Card”]Are we witnessing the chabudouization of the English teaching field?

"Filipina maid or native speaker with an MA in Applied Linguistics? Close enough!

And as an added bonus for a few pesos more, you can probably get your “English teacher” to wash your car, give you massages every night, walk your dog and work as a waitress in your bar/restaurant.

seems like a no brainer to me.[/quote]

A Filipina with a B.Ed and the appropriate certification would be offered a job within the K-12 public school system in the United States while someone with only an MA in Applied Linguistics would not. Your labeling and negative attitude towards women from the Philippines is obvious yet I can only assume it comes from your own self-loathing from getting such a useless degree. As I stated before, enjoy your moment in the sun while in Taiwan… your green apron will be waiting for you when you return to the USA.

I would have quoted the last poster’s comments but I didn’t think the ill conceived remarks were worth repeating. However, since I’ve been unwillingly dragged into this, I have no choice but to respond to he/she/it’s excretory remarks.
Despite having been gone from the island for a few years (your quote) you call yourself “escapedfromtaiwan” and continue to angrily post on a forum dedicated to and about life in Taiwan. It seems that your traumatic experience here won’t leave you alone. What’s wrong with you?
Next, I’m not American (thank god) so why on earth would I want to live in that place?
Next, what’s with the obsession with a “green apron”? Is this something from your childhood?
A degree in Applied Linguistics is not “useless” in the way that a degree in say, Gender Studies, Philosophy, or Asian Studies (is that a bell I hear ringing?) is. There’s an ever increasing amount of work in the field including at the university level in your beloved USA. A degree in this field is akin to a degree in computer studies in terms of the amount of work available. Couple this with the fact that it’s a fascinating field of study.
Finally, I love KFC and Bon Jovi as much as the next fellow, but a Filipina domestic in Taiwan almost certainly has English as a second language, Tagalog as a first, and speaks creole English, and is therefore not qualified to teach adults English.
I’m sure that if we looked hard enough we could find the mythical Filipina with a Ph.D in physics changing nappies, but in reality the average Filipina working here probably hasn’t gone that far in her education.
Lastly, please stop sending me PM’s, I’m not at all interested in your foolish and childish rage (don’t you have a job?). I’m a busy man and I have work to do now, so I’ll leave you to pace and fume in your parent’s basement back home.

Who is talking about Philipino domestic helpers being used for teaching english, get a grip tert card.

IMHO, anyone who is suitably qualified as tested by a suitable worldwide organisation should be allowed to teach, colour and nationality etc should not be a factor. If we were to base these things on accent, then there are a good number of teachers in Taiwan who should be sent home. Very strong accents from the UK, S Africa even parts of the US can become difficult to understand even for other native english speakers. Why would the philipine accent be any less acceptable than a Liverpool, Jo’Burg or Louisianna accent.

With regard to matching prospective teacher with employer, then the current system used for domestic helpers etc, should not be utilised, let a government branch take it over and collect sufficient fees to carry the cost of running the department. These middlemen have no interest other than making money. When the last set of restrictions on what they could charge were introduced, how did they get round it, by changing the exchange rate - one that was already favourable to them - to make the Peso on a one for one par with the NT, i believe current actual exchange rate is about 1.6 peso to the NT$. They are ALL conmen supported by their friends and relatives in government.

[quote=“Tert Card”]I would have quoted the last poster’s comments but I didn’t think the ill conceived remarks were worth repeating. However, since I’ve been unwillingly dragged into this, I have no choice but to respond to he/she/it’s excretory remarks.
Despite having been gone from the island for a few years (your quote) you call yourself “escapedfromtaiwan” and continue to angrily post on a forum dedicated to and about life in Taiwan. It seems that your traumatic experience here won’t leave you alone. What’s wrong with you?
Next, I’m not American (thank god) so why on earth would I want to live in that place?
Next, what’s with the obsession with a “green apron”? Is this something from your childhood?
A degree in Applied Linguistics is not “useless” in the way that a degree in say, Gender Studies, Philosophy, or Asian Studies (is that a bell I hear ringing?) is. There’s an ever increasing amount of work in the field including at the university level in your beloved USA. A degree in this field is akin to a degree in computer studies in terms of the amount of work available. Couple this with the fact that it’s a fascinating field of study.
Finally, I love KFC and Bon Jovi as much as the next fellow, but a Filipina domestic in Taiwan almost certainly has English as a second language, Tagalog as a first, and speaks creole English, and is therefore not qualified to teach adults English.
I’m sure that if we looked hard enough we could find the mythical Filipina with a Ph.D in physics changing nappies, but in reality the average Filipina working here probably hasn’t gone that far in her education.
Lastly, please stop sending me PM’s, I’m not at all interested in your foolish and childish rage (don’t you have a job?). I’m a busy man and I have work to do now, so I’ll leave you to pace and fume in your parent’s basement back home.[/quote]

• Green apron = Starbucks employee… the final destination for those who graduate with degrees in Applied Linguistics, Philosophy, and such.

• Applied Linguistics and Computer Science on the same level… put the Kool-Aid down and step away from the table…

• Mythical Filipina with a Ph.D in physics changing nappies… once again I’m happy to see the moderators doing their job! Keep up the good work promoting the hate!

• Stop PMing you? Well hello Sybil! Someone is definately off their meds…

You and I both know that’s not completely true. There are plenty of programs out there where schools are willing to help a person get certified if they show competency in their field of study or have an interest in teaching in public schools which have a teacher emergency. They’ve been recruiting people outside of education programs for years. Hell, most of my science teachers in school were recruited from their original jobs. My chemistry teacher and computer science teachers were offered a nice deal from what they told me. My chemistry teacher tried to dissuade me from getting my degree in chemistry education and instead get it in chemistry, work in my field for a few years and then put in an interest for teaching so I could get a competitive package.

If anyone sounds embittered from choosing a limiting degree, it’s you.

I was wondering, if you’re as good and as trained in education and have so many accolades, then how come you’re only teaching and not being given more leadership positions than just that? I mean, your attitude doesn’t strike me as one who’s destined to be a classroom teacher. Especially not for children.

Hmmm… :ponder:

You and I both know that’s not completely true. There are plenty of programs out there where schools are willing to help a person get certified if they show competency in their field of study or have an interest in teaching in public schools which have a teacher emergency. They’ve been recruiting people outside of education programs for years. Hell, most of my science teachers in school were recruited from their original jobs. My chemistry teacher and computer science teachers were offered a nice deal from what they told me. My chemistry teacher tried to dissuade me from getting my degree in chemistry education and instead get it in chemistry, work in my field for a few years and then put in an interest for teaching so I could get a competitive package.

If anyone sounds embittered from choosing a limiting degree, it’s you.

I was wondering, if you’re as good and as trained in education and have so many accolades, then how come you’re only teaching and not being given more leadership positions than just that? I mean, your attitude doesn’t strike me as one who’s destined to be a classroom teacher. Especially not for children.

Hmmm… :ponder:[/quote]

• Please take the time to read the the No Child Left Behind Act.

• According to the US Department of Education - Highly Qualified Teachers: To be deemed highly qualified, teachers must have: 1) a bachelor’s degree, 2) full state certification or licensure, and 3) prove that they know each subject they teach.

• Please send me the link of the top performing public schools in the United States where the teaching staff does not meet the standards set by the US Department of Education.

• The “I know someone who” arguement may have worked at whatever community college you attended in the past, but you need to step up if you ever want to pursue a graduate degree in the future. In the most exteme circumstance, public schools will hire those who are not qualified (people like yourself) to work under the direct supervision of those who are qualified (people like me) in schools where they cannot recruit enough highly qualified teachers. These schools are located in low-income, high crime areas, usually consisting of single-parent households in predominently black and hispanic areas with an usually high percentage of “at risk” children.

• Nice try but the personal attacks don’t work on me. I’m not the one who sends out sixty resumes, gets only a handful of responses and the blames my failure on not being about to get a job on a country full of racist people.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]

You and I both know that’s not completely true. There are plenty of programs out there where schools are willing to help a person get certified if they show competency in their field of study or have an interest in teaching in public schools which have a teacher emergency.[/quote]

I am enrolled in a program like that in California. It’s great. I am pretty much getting my teaching credential for free while I teach.

More teachers coming

[Filipino English teachers head for Taiwan as part of bilingualism push - Focus Taiwan] Pines Testa, an English teacher of seven years, said she applied for the program not only because of the competitive salary and benefits, but also in view of the opportunity to shape the lives of foreign students through teaching, according to TECO.

1 Like

This is a smart move. Will probably push the price of English teachers down a bit.

I saw an advertisement for public schools offering ~$80,000 for Filipinos as long as they meet the requirements.