Finally! An Authentic Sichuan Restaurant in Taipei

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Well, having taken colleagues to lunch at a Sichuan joint here in Shanghai today, I have to agree with MM. Taiwan gongbao jiding is far superior than anything I’ve ever had on the mainland. Sichuan food is my favourite, and as very much a regular tripper to China, the only positive I see is more gall when it comes to using Sichuan peppers.

I think there’s probably some very logical explanation for how China and Taiwan gongbao differs, most likley a snapshot in time. Here in China the idea seems to be to merely fry up some chicken, peanuts and chilli in a shitload of oil. In Taiwan that dried chilli is usually crispy and full of flavour, and the sauce far more concentrated and full of taste. I’d call that better cooked with undoubtedly better ingredients.

HG[/quote]

I didn’t make it to any Sichuan places while in Shanghai (I haven’t really heard any good things about Sichuan food there from any Sichuanese I know), but I did get to a hole-in-the-wall Hunan place that was excellent (I’ll get some shots up on my Flickr site shortly). I was last in Chengdu in March 2007 and the Gongbaoji I had then was superb-I think if you’re going to a place where the sauce is not complex, then you’ve gone to a bad restaurant with a poorly trained chef. I think maybe you guys just prefer the Taiwan version. My wife and I like it the Chengdu way-it’s less sweeter than what you find in Taiwan.

Well, I’m either lying or had bad luck. Which is it in your opinion and why?

Why? Food quality is much higher in Taiwan because of stricter regulations, a higher standard of living, and the short distances between farm and retail outlet. Fresher, better ingredients translate as a better dish.

In any case, taste is subjective and there is nothing inherently absurd abotu a dish being is improved or altered for the better in a second country. Even many Indians will tell you their food is better in England. Again, this probably has a lot to do with better quality ingredients to work with.

I’ll be back in Chengdu in the early summer. Can you recommend some places to try gbjd without cucumber in it?[/quote]
I actually did most of my eating in Shuangliu (that’s where the wife’s from). It’s a town about 30 minutes southwest of Chengdu proper. If you’ve ever flown into Chengdu, you’ve been to Shuangliu, because that is where the airport is. So unfortunately I can’t provide names of the places we went-I just dutifully tagged along. But if you will stay in Shuangliu during your visit, I’ll find out where we went.