Finding a job back home

I recommend you check out this [url=10 reasons I am finally leaving Taiwan - #39 by DSN Post[/url] from DSN (scroll down the page until you see his post). Like you, he started out teaching English in Taiwan. We went on to earn his BA in Chinese and Economics from a Taiwanese university. He now works in New Zealand as an economist.

Translating is an excellent profession, particularly since you could eventually do it all from home. Rousseau does just that, and there are many other translators on this forum as well. However, I recommend at least double majoring in Chinese and a more practical field, such as economics, engineering, science, business, or law. I’m not knocking the liberal arts, but most of your translation work is likely to be in those fields. You also leave the door open to enter into a different field than translation.

Alternatively, you could look into getting your MBA in Taiwan. I believe that Icon did just that. If you’re open to relocating to your home country for a bit, you could always return home to continue your schooling there in a subject that could lead you back to Asia, if that’s your passion. Business or law school seem like good choices. Best of luck to you.