Finding a job this time of year

Hi everyone:

Any advice on how to successfully land a job in the month of Novemeber!? Recently quit my job (very serious…won’t go into here here)…Looking to start someplace new ASAP. People are not e-mailing or calling back/taking calls like they were in June. I’m only 2.5 weeks into the job search but using tealit, 104 and networking isn’t getting me real far…I’ve had a couple interviews. Do I just need to be patient and keep going? Could this take weeks upon weeks? I have a school that may offer me a job that starts in January… I’m VERY optimistic – but I’m hoping to get some pointers as to other ways to job search. Cheers.

I have just checked Tealit and it is looking scarily quiet these days. I hope that you are job searching in Taipei as that seems to be where most of the jobs are.

[quote=“Jialin”]Hi everyone:

Any advice on how to successfully land a job in the month of Novemeber!? Recently quit my job (very serious…won’t go into here here)…Looking to start someplace new ASAP. People are not e-mailing or calling back/taking calls like they were in June. I’m only 2.5 weeks into the job search but using tealit, 104 and networking isn’t getting me real far…I’ve had a couple interviews. Do I just need to be patient and keep going? Could this take weeks upon weeks? I have a school that may offer me a job that starts in January… I’m VERY optimistic – but I’m hoping to get some pointers as to other ways to job search. Cheers.[/quote]

What are you looking for? Drop me a PM. No guarantees- will look into openings which might fit your CV

Schools are literally running out the door to ask me to work for them where I am. I’d kind of like to, but I know those schools won’t offer me many hours. My mind-numbing job that I always complain about and kind of want to change has lots of hours.

Around here though, it looks like if you have an APRC or JFRV, there’s plenty of places that will hire you on the spot (with shitty hours though).

Knock on some doors.

It’s getting close to the Dead Zone, when Chinese New Year looms and everyone’s waiting for their new budgets to come through (so they’re reluctant to hire), and to see what kind of New Year’s Bonus they get (before they commit to an ESL expenditure), so enrollment is at an annual low.
Between now and the end of February it’s liable to be pretty dry.
Also, the usual summertime openings that occur when a lot of teachers reckon they’re done/have finally paid off their student loans/decide to return to grad school have been filled a long time ago, or are still more than 6 months away.
Still, working schools that have vacancies will need them filled, so it’s worth keeping your eyes open.

It has been a major let down for me looking for a decent FT position last few weeks. I got more promising interviews with less competion going around to the schools in person with CV and smile than waiting for Tealit. Could try Joy school.

Found a job!! It is possible! :slight_smile:

:thumbsup: