Finding an apartment in Taipei - agent

Hi all

I am having trouble finding an apartment in Taipei. The language barrier is getting in the way and also the rental sites are extremely clunky.

Does anyone know of a service I can use? I want to specify that I want an apartment with a pool, preferably a rooftop area and a gym would be nice too. Pool is a must though.

Thanks in advance

Just pick the one you like and ask to see it.

1 Like

Wow, quick reply!

I have been using this site, but it seems to break when I translate to english. I can’t search by “only places with pool” and such.

I would much rather just pay a fee and have a local look around for me. I that possible here?

Any real estate agent should be able to help, but their scope is what they have for offer. It helps immensely if you have a Chinese-speaking friend.

Hmmm yes I have made some Chinese speaking friends. But not to the level of asking them a favour this big unfortunately

I can assure you this is pretty small on the list of favours. If you feel really bad. Just treat them to beers!

Costs a lot less and far more effective.

One of the easiest ways to bond with people is asking for favours.

Otherwise you’re fighting with agents across Taiwan’s numerous real estate agencies and branches of whom may or may not speak English.

Put in some footwork. Go to your preferred neighborhood and just visit the real estate agencies. Realtors are always eager to help, so eager that their English often improves all of a sudden when meeting a potential customer who can only speak English.

You could always also offer to pay them a few thousand for their time to help you look on 591 and visit places with you.

It’d likely be worth it for them, cheaper for you (compared with the half a month’s rent you’d be paying to an agent - especially if you’re looking for a place with a pool), and give you access to a wider range of options than a single agent (although note that some places on 591 are also through agents, unless you select otherwise).

I had a realtor insult my level of Chinese and say I sounded like an American (which is not a thing to say to a Canadian), and a second agent took so long to answer that by the time she did the apartment i wanted was gone.

ended up finding my place on 591 (using the Zhongwen chrome extension, not translating the whole page) and skipping agents altogether. cheaper and easier. used google translate to deal with the guy on the phone but brought a colleague with better Chinese to check out the place with me (and got her a nice dinner in return)

You can use Chrome browser on your phone and then go to 591, a little pop up in chrome will ask if you want to translate to English. Makes browsing 591 and other sites very easy if you have trouble with Chinese. Agents are very accommodating, they will track someone down that speaks English (if they don’t already) to facilitate your search/requests.