Finding it tough

Been here a month now and applied to over 30 ads for English teaching. Nothing, bar a request for paperwork from Kojen followed by “sorry no vacancy”.

What I’d like to ask here is: from my credentials/details why am I finding it so tough?

1. Male, 43, overseas Chinese from UK.
  2. Recent CELTA certificate.
  3. 4 years teaching experience in Taiwan from mid-90’s.
  4. BA from recognized university.
  5. Fluent in Mandarin.

Is it age, overseas Chinese, no recent experience…?

I’ve applied to everything.

Any feedback would be welcome and don’t be afraid to be honest, I’d just like to know why I’m getting no response.

Problem is mainly here:

Why not go to China? They’ll careless about the colour of your skin AND you could probably make more coin due to your English + fluent Mandarin ability.

[quote=“creztor”]Problem is mainly here:

Why not go to China? They’ll careless about the colour of your skin AND you could probably make more coin due to your English + fluent Mandarin ability.[/quote]

Ditto.

At a minimum, I would say don’t tell them you speak Mandarin. Age you can’t do anything about (because they will check against the passport). UK accent will make things a bit more difficult than an American accent, but then again there are loads of people from other places teaching English. It’s probably age and race, with a bit of “he speaks Chinese” thrown in.

I work at a place in Hsinchu that is recruiting now and the fact you are Chinese from the UK will neither help nor hinder you – neither will your ability to speak Chinese. (In fact, it may help)

Please send me a message, if you want more details

My e-mail address is: opilec@yahoo.co.uk

Regards
Charlie Warth

You have a plus. You have the granda factor, Hang in there.

I’m 65 and I get more offers for work that i can handle. Get your APRC and teach at home or at a school.

He just arrived and you are telling him to get an APRC? Sure, after five years…

You’ve lived here before and don’t understand why you’re not being hired? I hope you find a position, but if you don’t, it’s pretty obvious to me why you might not.

Things have got majorly worse on the English teaching front in Taiwan over the last few years, so it’s not fair to criticise him for not knowing how things stand now.

It is true that teaching in Taiwan is not fair. Sometimes they will prefer youth over experience. Some people can be very superficial here and swayed by emotion. They will not have enough logic to see that experience comes with age and experience matters. :2cents:

Four years’ experience is a red flag. You aren’t a newbie and you aren’t experienced. Teachers at that level are a pain in the arse to manage, frankly. That’s a perspective from a recruiter’s POV.

If he’s not experienced after four years, the place he was working wasn’t doing its job in training and supporting him as a teacher.

Taiwan in the 90s? I’m sure he had a full program of supervision and professional development. :wink:

Not trying to be insulting at all: just throwing out the reasons why recruiters might be thinking twice. He doesn’t fit the profile of someone that would usually be hired. If he can figure out why it is, he can tweak his CV to address those concerns that recruiters might have. They’ll worry he’ll be confident enough to call them out on their shit, but not slick enough to sort out said shit, even if they can’t articulate it in those terms.