Finding people's location from their email

Is there a way to find out from where a certain person is sending me his email?
I run Mac OS X, so if there is a way software that will help me find this out, could someone points me in the right direction?
Thanks

[quote=“igorveni”]Is there a way to find out from where a certain person is sending me his email?
I run Mac OS X, so if there is a way software that will help me find this out, could someone points me in the right direction?
Thanks[/quote]

I’m afraid not. Otherwise, all those spammers would have been impaled a while back. I log in to my email using a web browser to my email server which is on the other side of the world.

You can find out where they are posting from as long as they aren’t being devious. You will need to get access to the ‘full headers’ of the e-mail which varies depending on your email client. In Mozilla or Thunderbird it would be View/Message Source. You then need to look at the Received: headers. The last one down should have the IP address they sent from. You can then use something like Sam Spade, geo ip or the WHOIS service to find where that IP address is (though if it also has a hostname you can probably get a general idea).

On some webmail providers, you will need to look for a X-Originating-IP: header to find which IP the message was from while other webmail providers put it in the last Received: header as normal. One notable exception is that Gmail currently does not expose the user’s posting IP in either place.

The reason spammers get away with it is because they hardly ever send spam directly. Usually it is sent through a hacked PC, anonymous proxy, etc. They also often add fake Received: headers to make it harder to detect which IP to look at. At best you’ll track down an IP address belonging to some idiot who got his PC hacked.

And on Yahoo it is a tiny link somewhere (I think at the bottom) of the email or the page that says something like “view full headers”. When I report phishers, before forwarding the email, I click that link.

Thanks guys.

SO where am I right now Igor?

Well, if I understood everything properly.
You are … in… Iceland.

What the hell are you doing there? :smiley:

You are … in… Iceland.

What the hell are you doing there? :smiley:[/quote]

Hot springs…

You are … in… Iceland.

What the hell are you doing there? :smiley:[/quote]

Hot springs…[/quote]
:bravo: :sunglasses: