Finding Somewhere to Live

sigh

It used to be that Taipei outskirts was cheap enough. Now, he’s sending people over Sanxia…

[quote=“Icon”]sigh

It used to be that Taipei outskirts was cheap enough. Now, he’s sending people over Sanxia…[/quote]

qft… Neihu used to be the cheapstick town.

it’s a choice of either living in a old concrete walk up with shifty sewer (if the smell doesnt bother you) or in brand new luxury condos with swimming pool, gym, library, billiards, ktv, etc. Sanxia is a little far but it has the amenities. 45 minute commutes are nothing to write home about tho.

Or Danshui or Xixhi. It used to be the foul smelling open sewers were there in teh boondocks… Now we flock there for air.

But our friend is here for a short term -3 months. He just needs convenience. And the extra eye and hand will be handy - :roflmao: - to prove his stories of adventures here in Taiwan. :laughing:

[quote=“Icon”]Or Danshui or Xixhi. It used to be the foul smelling open sewers were there in teh boondocks… Now we flock there for air.

But our friend is here for a short term -3 months. He just needs convenience. And the extra eye and hand will be handy - :roflmao: - to prove his stories of adventures here in Taiwan. :laughing:[/quote]

flocking to danshui for the air? have we reached a new low? :laughing: i hope you don’t go to danshui for the water, too. ride the bus instead, to yilan…

Oh, compared to Taipei’s Chengde Road, it is Paradise. :laughing: Seriously, even Yilan has its days. There is no escape from the ominous clouds… from the north, south, east, west…

Let’s not start with teh water business, we’ll scare the newcomers. :whistle:

I am in a residential hotel right now near Taipei 101 but the internet is super slow, and the laundry facilities are dismal. Anyone have recommendations for a residential hotel for a 3-month stay that has a decent kitchen and laundry facilities in Taipei City, preferably either near Taipei 101 or the Longshan Temple area?

So I decided to check out the apartments near the park close to the vet. I mean, this is the posh area, where the buildings have Greek sculptures in the lobby and such. The first place they show me is 30K. As Mr. Big said in Sex and the City: so, this is where they keep the light, huh? Nice 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom. Main bedroom window overlooks the building’s garden and in the distance you have the park. Light like you can’t believe it. The cherry on top: a long kitchen, not too wide, but with lots and lots of cabinets. In general: nice, well worth it. Oh, and it’s furnished.

Just for curiosity sake, I go to see a place for sale in the same area. 12 million, 2 bedroo, 2 bathroom. A world apart. How can I say this? It is the first time -and I hope the last time- I see a place with a kitchen that’s smaller/uglier/stinkier than mine… They took a back balcony and made it into a kitchen. They extended a window to make room for the washing machine… sigh The whole building is at a weird angle, wedged between a 7-11 and a self service joint.

Hi, just moved to Taipei a week ago.

Looking for a place to stay, and have an agent assigned to find something for me. On Sat went around and saw 10 places. All of the places were either to small (Studio-New building type) or looked old and dingy from outside, (fairly spacious inside).
Need some help from those in the know . . .

Are there any specific places/areas that i should tell my agent to look at, as my requirements/wish list are as follows:

2 Bedroom
2 Bathroom
Decent Size Kitchen
Living Space Inside Apartment 20-25 Ping/ 65Sq Mtr (Not concerned with the communal living areas)
In the Vacinity of Dun Hua South Road-Sec 1
MRT Close by would be Bonus
Budget 45 000 TWD

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi, madracer. Welcome to Taiwan and to Forumosa.

Although it may be hard to get used to the idea, don’t worry much about what the building looks like on the outside. It’s not in any way a reliable indicator of what the apartments themselves are like. Worry more about what you’ll be seeing when you look out the window.

Since you say that you want 20-25 ping of interior space, that probably means that in most newer buildings you should look for a place advertised as being about 30-35 ping. But older buildings – especially those without lobbies and elevators – will have much less discrepancy between the advertised size and the real interior size.

If you want two bathrooms, that probably means three bedrooms, which means more money.

Finding a place with a kitchen you like might be the biggest challenge.

Thanks Cranky,

Will keep in mind your suggestion, and to be honest the exterior is not that important to me. Just that some i have seen, have aprtments/businesses mixed into the building. Not sure how good that is, especially with throughfare in the building, and noise during the day or any other odd hours.
Kitchens, i have seen 10 apartments thus far, and not one has a “normal” kitchen, seems like home cooking is not big on the locals agenda.

I will have to compromise, and i in no way want to maintain the same living standard i enjoyed in South Africa/Europe as i understand that this is a different place, with different culture.

Made contact with another agent, Master Realty, and found some apartments on Dunhua S Road, Ren Ai Road, and Anhe Road. So hoping to view tomorrow, and take it from there.

Madracer, welcome to The Island. Yep, kitchens are a hot topic here. We already had a big discussion about that. You just gotta be lucky…

As to mixed residential/business buildings… Depends. Usually offices keep 9 to 9 hours. Unless they start loading stuff and such. And yes, they work Saturdays and Sundays here, too, most probably, if they are small/medium enterprises.

Just avoid restaurants downstairs. Especially hot pot.

Oh, and those roads you mention? Hope your place is in an alley, as with the traffic and buses it can be quite noisy. A littel alley behind the main road is a better option, sleepwise.

I think the budget is OKish, it´s all right to adapt but make a list of what you can and can´t live without. As Cranky pointed out, what in most countries would be a white elephant -a nice house in a not so nice neighborhood- is different here. You will be looking in an upscale neighborhood, so prices are up, even for homes which really do not make the grade.

Thanks for the advise Cranky / Icon.
Found an apartment yesterday, just awaiting the final agreement from Tenant and sorting out the finer details etc.

Does anyone have any advice on how to find a decent, new apartment in kaohsiung, around arena area with cost from 7,000-10,000 NT ??
Looking to rent a 2-3 bedroom furnished (or partly), but everything we see is a little run down. It’s for myself, my wife, and 7 month old.
would appreciate any input.

can anyone give some advice on how to find decently priced new apartments in Kaohsiung? i know there are some… there has to be, but don’t know how to find them… any ideas???

I am looking for an UNFURNISHED apartment preferably a 1 bedroom type with kitchen and allows pet (15-23ping). Shilin area is my priority so that it’s near MCU, walking distance would be great so I can eat lunch with my pet :slight_smile: Da’an is my secondary choice because of the great park. I actually don’t care if it’s not in a luxurious building nor elevator building, just as long as it’s presentable, safe and convenient! :wink: please if you know anything do inform me! thank you! :discodance:

I’m leaving a partially furnished rooftop. It is a private roof, partially covered, located behind Taipei American school.
The rent is 20,000nt a month, has two bedrooms, kitchen, one bath, living room. with good ac. Great for couple or single.

[color=#FF0000]Mod Note: PM poster for details.[/color]

Hello, this is my first post on forumosa, nice to meet you all :slight_smile:
In two months I am moving to Kaohsiung for about one year to study Chinese, and I am looking for a place live, but I have absolutly no idea how to search for a place to live in. How can I find a place? How are foreigners doing when they come for the first time?

Not sure if you’re interested, but I have some beautiful, newly renovated studios on the same block as Exit 4 of the Gongguan MRT. Not sure if anyone has had this offer, but I can give tenants an English lease ONLY, as opposed to a Chinese lease or an English & Chinese lease where the Chinese overrides the English one.

Feel free to PM me. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“djstout”]Hello, this is my first post on forumosa, nice to meet you all :slight_smile:
In two months I am moving to Kaohsiung for about one year to study Chinese, and I am looking for a place live, but I have absolutly no idea how to search for a place to live in. How can I find a place? How are foreigners doing when they come for the first time?[/quote]

start networking here and all of the mysteries that haunt you will be answered my friend.

groups.yahoo.com/group/KaohsiungLiving_com/

hi there,

I’m moving to Taipei next week as an expat, with a buget of up to max. 40k NTS for a modern downtown apartment on eastern blue MRT line (around taipei city hall), 1 or 2 bedrooms, pool and gym would be great.

I’m wondering if anyone of you has got experience with real estate agents in Taipei? Are the prices they offer to westerners ok or completely off reality? any specific recommendations? (question is whether the apartments have a “westerner-bonus” in the rent or not… paying for the agents services is ok, no worries about that)

so far i’m in contact with berlin housing and jenny chao as they got good reviews, any comments on that?

Thanks for your help!