Finding Somewhere to Live

Thanks for the rapid response,

I’m actually not sure about the size of the one in Beitou, will update as soon as I do.
I guess the best option would be to stay in a temporary place for a few days until I have seen some apartments.

Thanks again for the advice,

cheers.

[quote]Hi Outseth,

25,000 TWD per month is totally not enough, especially if you consider that out of the scholarship you also need to pay the tuition, which – at Shi-Da – is 25,200 TWD every quarter. So your disposable income will be more like 16,600 TWD per month.

As a consolation, finding a place to live is not difficult (provided you have the money).[/quote]

Hi there!
Thanks for your answer :slight_smile: I wish i could… I will try to live with 25,000 TWD. If i cant, i will have to need my family support :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]
[color=#0000BF]Dear Out,
Welcome to The Island. Please feel free to ask questions, but I may point out the issues you touch on have been covered elsewhere many times. Do a search regarding costs, and living in Shi-Da area. This will give you a lot more info, based on the experiences of many participants of the forum. Use google if you’d like to narrow the search better.[/color]

I’ve sent mail to NTNU to ask about housing, and they said NTNU doesn’t offer dormitory to MTC students.I’ve already been accepted to NTNU’s MTC.I don’t know if i could change my school choice now,because I’ve already delivered the pre-admission letter to Taiwan Consulate.Anyway I really want to study at NTNU but I don’t know what to do about housing.I have never been in Taiwan.It’s really hard to find place to live before i see it.

[color=#0000FF]Taiwan is a welcoming place, with friendly people and renting for a foreigner is not such a hassle as in other places. The problem here is options are aplenty, and you gotta know what you want.

Most people find it hard to get used to small spaces as are available here. The area close to NTNU or Shi-Da as it is locally called, is very expensive. You can search about Da’an area, it is prime real estate, expensive, but with lots of facilities. But space is valuable and hence we live tight.

Dorms are not given as part of the plan. There are private dorms behind the MTC, but those are expensive, shared and have a curfew -11pm. Local dorms… there are 4 people ina very small room… you really do not wanna know the rest.

Sure, there are other options -someone of your advanced level should consider the ICLP or at least NTU, rather than MTC, but ICLP is way over your budget -even though it would be a prime choice for a Sinology student. Anyway, NTU has the Prince dorms, also privately run, and those have their issues too.

Most students rent rooms or share rooms in partments with other students, or get together in groups to rent a whole apartment together. This is more economical, give syou a lot of freedome regarrding comings and goings, and there is far more availability.

That said, you should come early -first come, first served- and the best places go first.
[/color]

So i shall get your advices.I want to know a hostel or something like that close to NTNU.Whether living in a hostel or another place would be better for me?

[color=#0000FF]As it has been said before, stay in a cheap hostel no more than a week, choose a permanent place from the options.

You could pay a lot for a small room within walking distance of the university. You can pay a lot less within MRT/bus commuting distance. Public transportation is efficient and cheap in Taipei. You choose according to what you want to live with.
[/color]

I’m going to have 25.000NT per month.Is that enough to live in Taipei(food,place etc.)?

[color=#0000BF]Budget. Do not spend like crazy and party every night. Then it will be plenty. In my times, we only had 15K. :smiley:

A place should set you back, at tops, 8 to 10K -with Internet, utilities, etc. I am thinking your own studio apartment here, which would be like top of the line, in the suburbs, 10 minutes away. In Shi-Da that would be 15K or more. Shared room, from 6K up.

Food: breakfast about 70nt, lunch 100 to 200, dinner and snacks variable. Unless you have a kitchennette, love cereal, prefer local food, etc which lower costs.

Leave some budget for entertainment. Should be quite doable on 25K.
[/color]

The place I’m looking for should be close to NTNU(can go by walking),clean and not small(I’ve checked some hostels and their rooms are very small) When i arrive Taipei,the first day, where should i go?

[color=#0000FF]Check in the hostel threads about the most recent recommendations. Yes, rooms are small. No, we do not reccommend on choosing a definite place from abroad. Come, have a look with a local friend, or someone who has been here longer. Do not go alone, not for safety issues, but to have a better perspective as to pricing and conditions.[/color]

As you can understand, im looking for a long term place.Should i live close to NTNU or is there any better option? If i stay in a place away from NTNU would it be cheaper(with bus,rent etc.). I want to live with 25.000NT for a month if i can :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance.

[color=#0000FF]No hay por donde.[/color][/quote]

Thanks a lot. Sorry for late response. I have had final exams here ^^ Maybe at first month i will have financial problems,but thats OK. I will need your help again :slight_smile: cheers

hey I have been looking for somewhere new to live. I also want to get rid of my apartment, I am moving out in August but would be willing to leave earlier as long as I can find somewhere to live myself. My apartment is superbly located next to Ximending MRT station. It is right opposite the cinemas in Ximen. I love this apartment.

The reason I am moving out is because I took a job with less money so that I could have more free time to myself.

Another thing I have been trying to post the information on tealit but my ad never shows up does anyone have similar problems or know why this is happening?

Shearersheed, why don’t you post it in Taiwanted?

posted onto taiwanted

Good on you, mate! I hope you get sorted soon.

If anyone is looking to move into an awesome apartment in Xiemen. It has rooftop spa, bbq pits, gym downstairs, pool table, ktv, internet room, 24 hour security, garbage disposal, and underground parking if you drive.

From the roof you have great views. You can see the danshui river, and the bridge over the river is sometimes lit up to make it look really nice, also you can see Taipei 101 in the distance.

The apartment its self has 2 floors with the living area downstairs, including the kitchen and the shower. Upstairs there are 2 spacious bedrooms. I have mainly been living with a room mate but it would be awesome if you could afford this place on your own.

The reason I am leaving is because I have changed jobs from full time to part time as I didn’t want to work too much and wanted to see some of Taiwan while living here, and hopefully learn Chinese again.

If anyone wants to see any pictures from my apartment please let me know and I will link you to the pictures. Email me @ marky.baobei@gmail.com

:discodance: hi guys.
I have seen you talking about the Tsuei MaMA housing service, and it seems that you manage to get good hints from that, so I want to register as well.
Actually they asked me to send them a copy of my passport, this is pretty unusual to me. Is it safe? Is it the standard procedure? You know, the web is such a jungele!!! :s :cactus: :s
Thanks for answering.

This is Taiwan… when you sign up for the Internet with Zhonghua Telecom, your passport # is part of your customer ID, printed on every bill. Here it will also be your login name. Should be fine, generally (I did it). Perhaps write something on the copy, so it cannot be used for any other purpose (not that it could anyway, without an ARC you cannot even buy a light bulb from B&Q here).

Another thing is I don’t think Cui Mama is particularly useful. Perhaps try 591 first (591.com.tw), as it has photos. Saves a lot of time. It’s difficult to imagine how crappy some of the places are (my all-time favorite was a toilet seat on the balcony).

Good luck!

What are the living costs for a place (either 1 rm or studio type apartment) near National Taiwan University or in vicinity?

What type of conveniences (shopping, food, etc.) are nearby?

[quote=“RustyShackleford”]What are the living costs for a place (either 1 rm or studio type apartment) near National Taiwan University or in vicinity?

What type of conveniences (shopping, food, etc.) are nearby?[/quote]
Also check this thread and it’s links: FAQ - CHECK HERE FIRST: Moving to Taiwan and Much More.
It’s there to help you. Loads of good info.

thanks guys.

Hello, I just moved to Kaohsiung. I am looking for an apartment located near Siaogong. If anyone can offer can offer any suggestions, that would be great. Thanks~

Hey everybody!!

I just paid for my ticket and am excited about my trip to Taiwan very soon! Based off alot of research done on this site, I’ll be coming to Taipei and studying at CCU MLC. Thanks guys for all the great posts about everything from schools to the day-to-day.

I’m planning to do a short-term apartment rental while I’m there. About 4 months. I am planning to stay in hostels when I first arrive and take the time to have a proper walk through of good apartments…

So do you guys have any good suggestions about locations or things I should look for? Looks like the school is in Daan district but since it’s close to the train I’m not too worried about getting too close. I’d like to stay in an upbeat area with other students (I heard around Shida is good per other posts?), but not crime-ridden (?).

Also, what are the price ranges I can expect to see?

Pumped!

Hi new to the site, but have done some reading.

I arrived in Taiwan yesterday, I have an agent and will see her tmrw about 2 interviews she has for me on monday. Also I emailed many schools on Tealit about Teaching English positions. This im okay with, what concerns me is housing.

Im in Taoyuan at a friends house but I am looking for a job in Taipei city, so I would like to obviously live there. I will go through with the interviews before I find a place to live, but I would like to find a one person with ac and internet apartment in the city once i know where i will be working. I guess im concerned about not getting ripped off, my friend who i am with said they ask for about first month and last months rent for deposit up front. If there are posts already describing such processes maybe someone can link me to them so i can read. Theres so much on this site its a little overwhelming to decide where to start. But its all great info so far. Thanks and if anyone can address my concerns about how not to get ripped off when looking for housing Im all ears!

cool, k well as an update…

have had teaching demo in Xindian. More less subbed in for a few hours. will do the same tomorrow and they will decide if they wanna offer me a contract afer that.

Now ive heard Xindian is relatively cheaper for living costs, so this will narrow down my last post if anyone would like to take a stab at this one for me…

While looking for apartments in Xindian, is it best to check online at any random joe’s posting or can anyone give me some useful contacts on someone who offers rentals for a year so that i can live in Xindian?? anyone?//

There are several places in my area, but will they be convenient for you? For us to help, it is necessary to have some info:

What do you need? What do you want? Do you want to live with other people or could you settle for a studio aprtment? Will you be cooking? Then you need a bigger place.

Where in Xindian do you want to live? Up in the mountains or close to the MRT? Next to the bike path? Further away from the noise? Next to your workplace? As far as possible from work?

If you want to look around yourself, can you read Chinese or have a local friend who can accompany you house hunting? There are several public boards with apartments for rent in Xindian downtown, close to the main MRT stations. That would be a place to start looking cheap apartments. Online try www.591.com.tw Both are OK, as you just need to get lucky…

I did a quick search there for Zhong He (新北市中和區???), and all that came up was places to buy. :ponder:

I did a quick search there for Zhong He (新北市中和區???), and all that came up was places to buy. :ponder:[/quote]
You need to choose the 租屋 tab, or just go directly to: rent.591.com.tw/ :slight_smile:

I did a quick search there for Zhonghe (新北市中和區???), and all that came up was places to buy. :ponder:[/quote]
You need to choose the 租屋 tab, or just go directly to: rent.591.com.tw/ :slight_smile:[/quote]
:blush: Ah, right. Now I see it. Thanks. :bow: