Finding Somewhere to Live

Hi,

I’m looking for a website to find a furnished one bedroom or studio apartment. I’ve checked Tealit and Craigslist and they both seem overpriced to me.

Right now I’m paying 12,000 + electricity for a largish one bedroom (cable/internet/water provided) in Xindian near the Dapinglin MRT station.

Saving money is a priority for me as I just finished college recently and have accumulated some hefty loans. I plan on staying for a couple years and think I could find a better deal.

If you can recommend a website to me I’d be much obliged. I’ve been on google for an hour and quite frankly suck at internet searches for some unknown reason. I just can’t get past all the extraneous information and find what I’m looking for.

Wishing you all well. Cheers ~ Micah

[quote=“micahjrowe”]Hi,

I’m looking for a website to find a furnished one bedroom or studio apartment. I’ve checked Tealit and Craigslist and they both seem overpriced to me.

Right now I’m paying 12,000 + electricity for a largish one bedroom (cable/internet/water provided) in Xindian near the Dapinglin MRT station.

Saving money is a priority for me as I just finished college recently and have accumulated some hefty loans. I plan on staying for a couple years and think I could find a better deal.

If you can recommend a website to me I’d be much obliged. I’ve been on google for an hour and quite frankly suck at internet searches for some unknown reason. I just can’t get past all the extraneous information and find what I’m looking for.

Wishing you all well. Cheers ~ Micah[/quote]

You can try 591.com.tw. It’s in Chinese but you can use Google translate if you don’t read Chinese.

I made a previous post (http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114360&p=1469699&hilit=591.com.tw#p1469699) that helps explain how to use the site.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: I’ve also heard about Tsui Mama housing service in Taipei (http://www.tmm.org.tw/english/) but I personally have never used them since I’m in Taoyuan.

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”][quote=“micahjrowe”]Hi,

Wishing you all well. Cheers ~ Micah[/quote]

You can try 591.com.tw. It’s in Chinese but you can use Google translate if you don’t read Chinese.

I made a previous post (http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114360&p=1469699&hilit=591.com.tw#p1469699) that helps explain how to use the site.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: I’ve also heard about Tsui Mama housing service in Taipei (http://www.tmm.org.tw/english/) but I personally have never used them since I’m in Taoyuan.[/quote]

What Steve said. Also, Tapinglin is overpriced nowadays, but usually taofangs in the area are 8K, not 12K, but if yours is biggish and overall nicer, it might be worth it. Though I pay the same for a two bedroom apartment… same area, but only partially furnished, no utilities nor Internet included.

If you like Xindian you may try moving down the line. Xindian City Hall or Xindian final station are highly recommended for cheaper, bigger fare. The other thing would be to look for one or two bedroom apartments, not fully established taofangs. Might be a bit more mafan, looking for your own Internet and cable provider, maybe a couple of pieces of furniture and such, but it will be considerably cheaper.

Tsui mama is a great help. If you can read Chinese, let me know and I can point where in teh hood teh local ad boards are, too.

i pay 12,000 for a 1 bedroom (+bathroom + mini drying balcony) furnished including internet, water, cable.

• its 2 minutes from Taipower MRT
  • its next door to a temple

Is that good or bad? Just wondering whether to stay here for another month or scramble about looking for somewhere cheaper (and better)

I guess im used to it now. I know where to go to get rubbish collected (though i was unused to the mandatory recycling they do as i had to open my rubbish to take out all the cardboard/paper stuff) Generally recycling in Scotland is only in some areas and its somewhat optional.

On a very positive note - i’m not too depressed now as ive discovered a pub and taiwan beer with its mind altering properties :smiley:

[quote=“FarFlungScot”]i pay 12,000 for a 1 bedroom (+bathroom + mini drying balcony) furnished including internet, water, cable.

• its 2 minutes from Taipower MRT
  • its next door to a temple

Is that good or bad? Just wondering whether to stay here for another month or scramble about looking for somewhere cheaper (and better)

I guess im used to it now. I know where to go to get rubbish collected (though I was unused to the mandatory recycling they do as I had to open my rubbish to take out all the cardboard/paper stuff) Generally recycling in Scotland is only in some areas and its somewhat optional.

On a very positive note - I’m not too depressed now as ive discovered a pub and taiwan beer with its mind altering properties :smiley:[/quote]

It is OK, as that area is pricey, but that seems average rent, maybe les for a big space. Did they tell you how big the place was in pings? Even where I live, which is like 10 minutes further down the MRT line, a taofang is no less than 8K. The only problem I can see is the temple, but what can we do about it? :laughing: :cry: :stuck_out_tongue: Anyways, you’ll be working soon, out all day from teh early morning, you won’t notice it. And if you make friends with them, they will share fruit and food and beer with you. You can make some good local friends, important friends, people with some stand in teh community. :thumbsup:

Cheaper would be further away fro transportation hubs, and conditions may vary. Also, you have started building a social network here, and you need a home base close to amenities. We do not want you getting depressed because you are isolated/live in a lousy place/have no social life/etc… do we? :wink:

Sounds fine Scottie , I’d stay where you are for at least until you get sorted out, maybe give yourself a year. Good location, not too expensive, convenient.

Hi,
Kinda stuck searching for an apartment. I’ve never rented before and finding it a bit overwhelming. Can’t speak any Chinese either which doesn’t help. Is 10000-15000 too low to find a mildly nice apartment near NTNU MTC, or is it just the off season at the moment? Not seeing much on 591.
Cheers.
Ps: is it the norm for landlords to not clean before letting people see the apartment?

[quote=“Goo”]Hi,
Kinda stuck searching for an apartment. I’ve never rented before and finding it a bit overwhelming. Can’t speak any Chinese either which doesn’t help. Is 10000-15000 too low to find a mildly nice apartment near NTNU MTC, or is it just the off season at the moment? Not seeing much on 591.
Cheers.
Ps: is it the norm for landlords to not clean before letting people see the apartment?[/quote]
I don’t know about the price. As for cleanliness, though, my experience is that I don’t think I’ve ever seen a clean apartment when I was searching. :neutral:

[quote=“Goo”]Hi,
Cheers.
Ps: is it the norm for landlords to not clean before letting people see the apartment?[/quote]

For a whole apartment, yes, too low for the area. A taofang, maybe. You definetively need help. Look at the recommendations at the beginning of this thread. Try the key store lady at the corner of the night market -look for Ironladyt’s posts on exact location, Icon will get you lost- she’ll know if there are cheap places available.

Go to Tsui mama in Gongkuan. Sign up. They help you if you run into trouble.

Otherwise, head down the line, like Jinmei, Tapinglin, Xindian, Dingxi, etc. for that price range.

Anyways, do not rent alone, on your own I mean. Go with a local/someone who speaks better Chinese. Do not just rely on ads that are in English -like Tealit, heaven forbid. be extrememly careful especially with deposits -no more than two months! Let us know if you need extra assitance.

A taofang (as in a room with a bathroom) is probably what I really meant. Been looking on 591 and the only places I have seen so far, ignoring the ones falling to pieces, have been too cramped. Seems like lying about ping and stuffing a double bed into a tiny room must be common place here. (I honestly don’t get the bed thing, a single bed would make the rooms feel a lot less cramped.)

Ok, I went back and read the whole thread. Answered the cleaning thing. With no Chinese speaking ability, the key lady will surely be too difficult.

Had already visited TMM as it is recommended a lot on this forum. But the list they give you seems mostly useless I get very few results and seems broken. (or I’m using it wrong?)

I do have a Taiwanese friend to help out, but she doesn’t have much experience with renting and she looked at me weird when I asked her about bargaining the rent down. Kinda worried about wearing her out also. Biggest frustration is that when I want to check out a place I can’t do it myself.

Cool, i guess ill just stay where i am for now then :slight_smile:

Icon, i dont know the ping size but it doesnt feel too cramped. It easily fits a double bed, wardrobe, desk, fridge tv, cable no problem. There is a sortof mini hallway as well (i store my suitcases there) before i get into the room.

Anyone know a cheap agent or someone who I can get to contact places from 591? Still don’t have an apartment and my friend disappeared off the face of the earth (or Taiwan at least).

I can introduce afriend to help but you have to be very clear in what you want, budget andconditions. Once you focus, then it is easier.

Hi friends,

I’m looking for an apartment for rent around Nankang (especially close to Academica Sinica), Taipei. This is for me, and my wife, 1-2 bed rooms with a bathroom and a kitchen would be fine. Actually I have no idea :ponder: where to look for and the average price tag of an apartment with this requirements . If you guys got anything to help me with, please do share here… :pray:

[quote=“Suranjith”]Hi friends,

I’m looking for an apartment for rent around Nankang (Nangang) (especially close to Academica Sinica), Taipei. This is for me, and my wife, 1-2 bed rooms with a bathroom and a kitchen would be fine. Actually I have no idea :ponder: where to look for and the average price tag of an apartment with this requirements . If you guys got anything to help me with, please do share here… :pray:[/quote]

Hi,

I guess that you, like me, work at Academia Sinica. I would actually discourage you from staying in Nangang proper, for you get the worst mix of high prices and little or no amenities there. I suggest you look for a place in either Songshan district or in Xizhi. The former is probably more expensive but closer to the city and better served by MRT and trains. The latter is cheaper and newer, but somewhat removed from Taipei downtown. Both are within reach of Academia Sinica (20 minutes by bus or 10 by scooter). I live very close to Songshan (I am still officially in the Xinyi district) and pay 16K ntd per month for a two bedrooms, one bathroom apartment with a small kitchen, a dining area, a medium sized living room and two balconies. My building is old but clean and located between a park and Elephant Mountain. It takes less than 10 minutes by scooter to go to AS.

[quote=“Novaspes”]
Hi,

I guess that you, like me, work at Academia Sinica. I would actually discourage you from staying in Nangang proper, for you get the worst mix of high prices and little or no amenities there. I suggest you look for a place in either Songshan district or in Xizhi. The former is probably more expensive but closer to the city and better served by MRT and trains. The latter is cheaper and newer, but somewhat removed from Taipei downtown. Both are within reach of Academia Sinica (20 minutes by bus or 10 by scooter). I live very close to Songshan (I am still officially in the Xinyi district) and pay 16K ntd per month for a two bedrooms, one bathroom apartment with a small kitchen, a dining area, a medium sized living room and two balconies. My building is old but clean and located between a park and Elephant Mountain. It takes less than 10 minutes by scooter to go to AS.[/quote]

Thanks for the information, We’ll consider your tips in our search… :thumbsup: If you came across with any posting for an apartment just share with me.

A bit off topic, but i’m going to go live in Taichung for the next 6 months and i’m planning on finding an apartment with http://www.591.com.tw. Unfortunately, most interesting apartments / rooms adverts state a minimum 1 year lease.
I want to make a list of places to visit when I arrive and I’m just wondering if I will be wasting my time with those. Anyone have experience with this?

[quote=“valdrox”]A bit off topic, but I’m going to go live in Taichung for the next 6 months and I’m planning on finding an apartment with http://www.591.com.tw. Unfortunately, most interesting apartments / rooms adverts state a minimum 1 year lease.
I want to make a list of places to visit when I arrive and I’m just wondering if I will be wasting my time with those. Anyone have experience with this?[/quote]
I’m going to be doing the same thing, using 591, when I move to Hualian. You may already know this, but one of the filter options on the left side is short term rental (可短期租賃).

If you can’t find something suitable through 591, you might try looking at the local message boards (those glass-enclosed boards you see in busy areas) or checking with a rental/real estate agent (I’ve heard the fee is half a month’s rent).

Edit: By the way, I found my current apartment, where I’ve been more than 3 years, through 591.

ya, i’m aware of that check-box. I just don’t like checking it as It just removes too much choice :/.