Finding Somewhere to Live

Warning about living over a restaurant:

One of our neigbors bought a place in the Xin Tien Building (New Heaven something) on top of the Tapinglin MRT station. Very expensive, brand new, very modern. However, this place is on the level on top the food court. Result: roaches and rats aplenty on the upper two floors above -where she is. :astonished:

Of course, we have rats and roaches everywhere in Taiwan, but it is so annoying to pay top price for a piece of prime real estate and get extra tenants.

By the way, I really like that area around Roxing Park. It is conveniently located close to teh MRT and bus lines, and there are planty of restaurants and amenities around it. I asked about some apartments and they were reasonably priced -16 to 21 to 25 thosuand for a 2 bedroom gonwu. However, the air pollution is really something to consider. It feels worse, much worse than Xindian at rush hour. I concurr, no noise, very quiet for such a busy place, actually.

hi…just wanna ask…for a college students …is it betta to live in the campus or rent an apartment?,…which one is safer?..How much is it to rent a good, clean apartment per month?

Uhm… safer… no idea, but you can get places from about NT$5,000/month and up, depending on how picky you are, where you want to live and how big a place you want. Taiwan is pretty safe though, at least in my experience. Nothing will really be clean here when you rent it, you have to clean it before you move in.

[quote=“Icon”]Warning about living over a restaurant:

One of our neigbors bought a place in the Xin Tien Building (New Heaven something) on top of the Tapinglin MRT station. Very expensive, brand new, very modern. However, this place is on the level on top the food court. Result: roaches and rats aplenty on the upper two floors above -where she is. :astonished: [/quote]

You’re the second person in a week that’s told me that. I’m so glad we sold our apartment in there before it was even finished. Made a nice profit too. I don’t recommend flipping to anyone though, we were just lucky at the time and didn’t want to move in because the poxy public area knocked off the original 50 pings left it too small for us.

Does anyone have recommendations/advice for housing in Taichung?

Taoyuan, hmm…
Maybe in 10 years time when the MRT there might be done and connects to Taipei :smiley:

Hi!

This is a copy and paste of my first post. I originally posted it in the Lotus Hills thread… but I realise this thread is probably a better place for these questions.

I am moving to Taiwan this August and so I’ve been trying to learn as much about Taiwan as possible. This forum has been a great help.

I have a ton of questions.

I notice that a lot of the people that moved to Lotus Hill have families. I’m single but I really like the sound of the community there and the apartments sound cheap / GREAT but I was wondering what your advice would be for me.

I am going to study at Soochow University (Downtown campus in Zhongzheng district) for two years (Doing an MBA). I will be on a scholarship with a limited income. I have savings, etc but I really would like to find a cheap place so I can make the best use of my scholarship income. At the same time, I will be studying so I want to some peace and quiet. I don’t really want to go out clubbing every weekend, etc. I don’t mind living outside the city and I don’t mind traveling a little to get to school…

Also, several friends have said they will come and visit me in Taiwan and my family has said they will visit me too. So I’d like to have a place big enough to accommodate a visitor or two occasionally.

I’ll be coming to Taiwan with a suitcase and a computer…so also I’m wondering if I should look for a furnished apartment or go for a cheaper unfurnished apartment and then accumulate stuff over time once I arrive?

Lotus Hills is sounding great but I was hoping you could give me some advice.
Thanks!
Gareth

quick question.

Would you recommend living in Lotus Hills to a student? I am still looking for an place in Taipei, and I’m trying to decide if it’s better for me to live in the city close to my school, or in Lotus Hills.

I’d really appreciate any advice.
Gareth

The big drawback for Lotus Hill from a student’s perspective is the horrendous commute. Basically the commuter will be on the road 2 hrs a day, assuming he’s using public transportation. If he only has 1 or 2 classes on certain days, it will suck to commute into the city for only 1 class. And then you have to add transportation cost into his calculus. Personally I would start out living near the school, perhaps with roommates.

Thanks for the advice!

I agree it’s not a good idea if you’re going to Shi-Da or Tai-Da. Anyway, if you’re studying Chinese, you really don’t want to isolate yourself from the r.o.t. (rest of Taiwan).

As far as commute times go, I think Paniolo is being a little dramatic. I spend two hours in my car most days, but that’s because I commute twice: Once from Lotus Hill to Muzha and back, which takes me 35 minutes each way by car, and once to Fuxing/Nanjing and back, which takes me 25 minutes each way. If I take a scooter, I can shave 5 minutes off that time.

[quote=“Maoman”]
I agree it’s not a good idea if you’re going to Shi-Da or Tai-Da. Anyway, if you’re studying Chinese, you really don’t want to isolate yourself from the r.o.t. (rest of Taiwan).

As far as commute times go, I think Paniolo is being a little dramatic. I spend two hours in my car most days, but that’s because I commute twice: Once from Lotus Hill to Muzha and back, which takes me 35 minutes each way by car, and once to Fuxing/Nanjing and back, which takes me 25 minutes each way. If I take a scooter, I can shave 5 minutes off that time.[/quote]

Hmm… I will be studying an MBA. And I think I will have Thursday afternoon / Fridays off plus the weekend. (I do want to learn / study Chinese too though… I will be studying at University in the Jhongjheng district… close to the Ximen MRT station, I believe? How long do you think it’d take to get there from Lotus Hills?

Do you think it’s worth the commute?

[quote=“mattoc_g”][quote=“Maoman”]
I agree it’s not a good idea if you’re going to Shi-Da or Tai-Da. Anyway, if you’re studying Chinese, you really don’t want to isolate yourself from the r.o.t. (rest of Taiwan). [/quote]

Hmm… I will be studying an MBA. And I think I will have Thursday afternoon / Fridays off plus the weekend. (I do want to learn / study Chinese too though… I will be studying at University in the Zhongzheng district… close to the Ximen MRT station, I believe? How long do you think it’d take to get there from Lotus Hills?

Do you think it’s worth the commute?[/quote]

I can’t think what university that would be. If it is near Ximen (why aren’t you sure, or tell us its name?) it will take you less than one hour (30-45 mins on the community bus to Taipei City Hall, depending on the time of day, then 10 mins or so on the MRT). I suppose you could get there in 30 mins on a large bike, but I think a scooter would take ages because you can’t drive on the elevated carriageways with those.

Lotus Hill is great for families, but for a single guy, a student? Not only would you be cutting yourself off completely from the real Taipei, you’d also be spending a fortune on cab fares (unless you don’t go out in the evenings).

[quote=“smithsgj”]

I can’t think what university that would be. If it is near Ximen (why aren’t you sure, or tell us its name?) [/quote]

I will go to Soochow University (the downtown campus). The downtown campus is really small. Just the law school and the business school are there, I think? (and possibly the language education? My friend told me that it’s famous for it’s japanese language department?) haha… I need to learn more about the university that I’m going to!

Anyway… what / where would you recommend I look for an apartment?

Mostly downtown Taipei, Zhongshan/Zhongzhen districts. Even the Kuting/Shida area -you can switch trains or walk to CKS MRT station and get to Hsimen MRT station, and walk a bit to the campus.

Hi, I’m an incoming language student in National Cheng Kung University in Tainan. I chose that school because I want to immerse myself more on the language and culture as I’ve heard from other forumosans that English in Tainan is not commonly spoken so I would be forced to learn the language. I’m beginner by the way. I was informed by the International Office that language students cannot live inside the campus because they are only reserved for degree students. That being said, I’m now forced to look for a place outside.

Now I’m having a very hard time to look for a dorm or an apartment outside the campus preferably within walking distance from the school. My budget ranges from NT$5,000 to NT$7,000. I need a kitchen, own bathroom and I prefer to have one roommate.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi, new-comer in Tainan,

Most Tainan people are very warmhearted and willing to help, especially you just move there and you’re a foreigner. As to finding apartment near NCKU, it should not be very hard since house price there is not expensive and Tainan is not a crowd city. And most landlords in Tainan are not as cunning as those in Taipei. However, most ads for rent are written in Chinese and posted in some special boards. My advice is, try to find a local resident who can speak English, therefore to communicate with you, and let him/her know you’re really in a trouble find an apartment. With his/her aid, it would be a lot easier. By the way, the rent in Tainan is much cheaper than that in Taipei, an apartment with three bedrooms, a kitchen and a bathroom should cost less than 10,000 for a month. Good Luck!

Here are some experiences for finding an apartment or suite in downtown Taipei:

Firstly, because of overly high housing price in Taipei (some are high than that in Tokyo), the rent here is therefore very high, and there comes a new career as professional landlords. Buying house only for rent, they try hard to optimize the profit, and therefore, minimize the quality of life of the lodger. My advice is to avoid this kind of landlords. They may be nice people in person; however, their house is not that nice for living in. The clue of this kind of house is: “newly partitioned and all new decorated a private refrigerator and washing machine.” And usually they welcome foreigners and short-term lodgers more than other landlords. As I see it, it is because they find them easier to deal with. Because of the high price to get the house, professional landlords calculate carefully and budget strictly. You can hardly get a good deal with them. On the contrary, some landlords got their house long time ago, when the house price were pretty low, they don’t have to squeeze the roomer for their house mortgage. What’s more, they love the house and tend to keep it the way it was, which is suitable for living in, so the apartment won’t be partitioned into small cages to accommodate as many lodgers as possible.

Secondly, timing is important especially when you’re finding an apartment in a popular area. Taipei is a very crowd city. There may be a lot of nice landlords; however their houses are rent first. I’ve been looking for an apartment near Shi-Da for 7 years. I found it hard to find a house after August, like suddenly all of the houses are rent out. Therefore you are forced to have a choice between houses that are eliminated.

Thirdly, if possible, try to ask one of the locals to accompany you. I’m not saying Taipei-ers will cheat foreigners, but it’s natural that people respect individuals looking like have a lot of information. And as a foreigner, you look like you with no experiences. Maybe the landlords are worried that you will do something they could not anticipate so they think they have the right to charge more for taking risks or something I don’t know.

As the furnitures, most apartments are unfurnished and most suites(with a private bathroom but no kitchen) are furnished with a bed, a desk and a chair. That is because apartments are for family, and usually they have their own furnitures and suites are for single or couples. There are also some suites with a tiny kitchen, and the price is higher.

Last but not least, the fee for “middleman”. If you go to a real-estate agent, you have to pay them. And I think it’s a good idea to go to real-estate agents directly, be sure to go to the one with big brand such as “Sinyi” and “Evertrust”. They may not be cheap; However you could bargain with them and they would bargain with landlords for you for you are the one who pay. Otherwise, you don’t have to pay any additional fees. If the security of the doorman asks for “red envelope”, 1,000 is enough. It’s okay if you don’t want to pay them.

Looking for a nice lodging in Taipei is not easy, even for the local. I found a good place seven years ago, and lived there for 5 years. Though it’s very small and I had to share the kitchen and bathroom with roommates, it’s cheap, quiet and the neighborhood was of good quality, and the landlord was nice, too. However she needed to sell it, so we were forced to find another apartment. The second was a suite without any public space, such as living room, kitchen and balcony. The washing machine was in the passageway. There was no fresh air and enough natural light in that apartment since the former 3-room-apartment had been partitioned to 5 rooms. It’s horrible to live there. Then I find where I’m living now. It’s very nice and spacious, with three big windows in the room. And I don’t want to move out anymore. So here is the last advice: Don’t bother to take a look at an apartment which the landlord fails to rent it out for a long time. There must be reasons for that.

Thanks for the great advice.

I will go house hunting in the Banciao area tomorrow with one of my classmates. Any quick advice people can give me?

Not so sure about that last part. As I understand it, the agent gets a half month from you, and either a half month or a full month from the landlord, when the contract is signed. Furthermore, the agent often gets the same fee again from the landlord each time the contract is renewed (but nothing from you).

So they ain’t particularly on your side. On the other hand, it’s a bunch of bother for them if you start complaining about things later, which does give them some incentive to set you up well.