Finding THE place to be in Taipei

500 square feet is about 14 ping. But what you need to know is that apartments are not measured by interior space alone but by that plus a percentage of all “common” areas (stairwells, elevator shafts, lobbies, etc.). And then there’s the tendency of some advertisers to inflate size. So if you see something listed as “15 ping” (533 square feet), don’t be too surprised if it’s considerably smaller than, say, 23 feet by 23 feet (529 square feet).

canucktyuktuk, a rooftop studio wouldn’t be a huge issue for me, I don’t care about stairs… I do need good AC though, its hard to sleep at night for me if its hot…

I wish more of these places would post pics!

First of all, don’t bother with any of the ads on Tealit or Taiwanted. I’m sure some people will chime in and say “Oh, but I found a decent place on Tealit” but my experience after looking through those ads for a month were 1) 95% of the places were some combination of being way overpriced, scummy, and having to room with sketchy people 2) getting access to the other 5% was like trying getting into an Ivy League school (I looked to be roommates with one set of people near Shi-da and they literally were interviewing more than 30 people.)

Assuming you’ll be here for a couple years, you’ll do much better getting into something semi-permanent first (long-term hostel stay, monthly rental) and then network, trying to find friends of friends who are leaving, having locals help you look, etc.

Second of all, the answer to your question as to what neighborhood you want to live in is the SOGO/Zhongxiao Fuxing/Dunhua area going east as far as Yongchun and south as far as Xinyi. Looking at your list of priorities, you sound like you’d be constantly taking taxis if you lived in Tianmu, Xindian, Lotus Hill, or Muzha.

No no no, you don’t want to live in Bitan! Try Muzha, you love it there! Much nicer.

alidarbac, that is def a huge concern for me with finding a roommate off these sites. I don’t know for sure how long I am going to be in Taiwan, but I am planning for around a year, so, its not going to be long term. Of course, I might extend that a little but, I can’t stay for a long time, I have to return for business.

I don’t really want to spend too much time when I get there trying to find a place, it will be kinda critical for me to get in and settle down pretty quick, as I am pretty busy with work and such. Also, I hear trying to deal with people is a difficult thing to do, and they are always trying to rip you off…

Idealy, I would like to find a decent studio or flat apt for myself in a decent/nice area and just rent it and be done with it. Of course, thats prob asking for more than I can get… The recs are a big help, finding places in these areas on the net with pictures… not so easy.

Poagao, you say Muzha… I can’t find that on google maps… These names are crazy and so confusing…

Ali said:

I second that.

[quote=“oojacoboo”]alidarbac, that is def a huge concern for me with finding a roommate off these sites. I don’t know for sure how long I am going to be in Taiwan, but I am planning for around a year, so, its not going to be long term. Of course, I might extend that a little but, I can’t stay for a long time, I have to return for business.

I don’t really want to spend too much time when I get there trying to find a place, it will be kinda critical for me to get in and settle down pretty quick, as I am pretty busy with work and such. Also, I hear trying to deal with people is a difficult thing to do, and they are always trying to rip you off…

Idealy, I would like to find a decent studio or flat apt for myself in a decent/nice area and just rent it and be done with it. Of course, thats prob asking for more than I can get… The recs are a big help, finding places in these areas on the net with pictures… not so easy.

Poagao, you say Muzha… I can’t find that on google maps… These names are crazy and so confusing…[/quote]

Poagao is joking. He lives in Bitan. I live in Muzha. I’ve sending you his way so he’s sending you my way.

Muzha (M-u-c-h-a on maps, look for the zoo) is great for access to nature. The uni area is also good for student life and lots of small cafes and restaurants. Not great for any real nightlife though. MRT is pretty close: 5-10 minutes on bus.

As for taking taxis, that’s only for nightlife. Otherwise he has access to most of the other features he wants in an apartment in Bitan or Tienmu or Muzha. Basically he won’t get (and I’m sure he knows that) an apartment that is near both nature and good nightlife.

I am def not most interested in the party scene, so, I will take the nicer area with more nature and better restaurants and cafes all day long, thanks for clearing up the inside joke there :wink:

Mucha, I see you are quite the phototog, I will be bringing my new XTI and 120-400 to see what kind of good stuff I can shoot. I am looking forward to it, where do you find the best places to go are?

Bitan sucks for food options. You basically have nothing but cheap street food or overpriced muck on the riverfront for the tourists. You’re no more than 10 minutes’ walk from the MRT though. And you have green mountains on three sides.

You may have read in another thread that Taipei is quite rundown.
That’s why I live across the bridge in the city of Banciao Town.

One ain’t bothered by nature here and there are buildings by the the dozen.
There’s stinky tofu and binlang stains and nobody minds if you marry your cousin.

Where the fuck am I going with this … :ponder:

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]You may have read in another thread that Taipei is quite rundown.
That’s why I live across the bridge in the city of Banqiao Town.

One ain’t bothered by nature here and there are buildings by the the dozen.
There’s stinky tofu and binlang stains and nobody minds if you marry your cousin.

Where the fuck am I going with this … :ponder:[/quote]

So is she cute?

To go where? Nature?

If you are most interested in nature then Muzha or Bitan are great options. Bitan has the MRt right there though as sandman says the restaurants and cafes are mostly for tourists. Still, very lovely environment.

Muzha by the university (NCCU) is a very good option as the main street has lots of decent restaurants and cafes. Lots of young women around too. The uni grounds are clean and green and you can bike or ride the ring road at all hours. Maoking is a famous tea growing area with dozens of teahouses overlooking the city or nestled in wooded valleys. Just ride up the hill and you are there as the mountains rise up behind the uni. Excellent hiking and biking.

If you have to have MRT access live right at Wanfang MRT station area. Quiet hilltop community just up the hill from the river paths. No restaurants around though.

Tienmu is also a great option if you have a flexible work schedule so you can get out into the park on weekdays. Also a nice assortment of good restaurants and cafes in the neighborhood.

So really, look at Bitan, Muzha (either near NCCU or right at Wanfang MRT station), or Tienmu.

[quote=“oojacoboo”]

[li]Finally, have some fun with this, list some of your favorite coffee shops, parks, restaurants, grocery stores, etc!! Really, this map could mean so much to so many people![/list]

OK, so let me tell you a little about myself and what I am looking for in an apt/studio/loft. I think this will fit a good number of people, this is why I wish for this thread to be a sticky and help others.

[ul]
Young Professional: (I am 27), but this should work for people up into their late 30s.[/li]
[li]CREATIVE: (I am a web designer) but this again should include people who are just creative spirited or have other creative professions.[/li]
[li]Love the Outdoors: easy access to multiple parks, hiking in the mountains, hot springs, beach, any outdoor activities really.[/li]
[li]Close to MRT: This is pretty self explanatory, but the walk to the closest MRT station should really be no more than 10 min.[/li]
[li]Great Restaurants Nearby: Alot of people might assume this means I want my American hamburger joint to be nearby, WRONG!, this just means I don’t want to walk 10 min to get to the closest restaurant. A place where there are multiple selections very close by.[/li]
[li]Coffee Shops & Book Stores: I would prefer to have a few of these within easy walking distance as well.[/li]
[li]A Party Scene: I like to go out maybe once a week and have a good time, this doesn’t mean I want to close down the club/bar, but I do like to go out on the occasion and having places pretty close is always nice.[/li]
[li]SAFE - Now, this might go without being said, but I want a place where you can walk down the street at 3am with a woman and not worry about being harassed.[/li]
[li]UPSCALE/TRENDY: The trendy part isn’t necessarily required, but desired. I am looking for something that is considered to be upscale and nice, by international standards. Here are some pictures that match the general idea of what I consider to be upscale and trendy - LINK[/li]
[li]AFFORDABLE: Obviously this part is subjective, but the general idea is for a one bedroom (which I am looking for), something less than 20,000 NWT.[/li][/ul]

That about covers it. I GREATLY appreciate your time for reading this and helping out with this map. I really think this will help many many people to come! Thanks again - Jacob[/quote]

Yes, all those things right in my building, MRT right at building entrance, restaurants banks bookstores nearby, walking distance to many areas… one bedrooms available but I have to check…

Price probably more than 20k but maybe around 25k

If you are thinking of paying 10k you wont get anything international standardabout it. Also for less then US$300 a month in what major cities in the world can you get an international standard pad?

Why only Taipei? I don’t understand why people exclude other cities…

Taichung has all the same mod cons as Taipei and for 20k a month you could get your dream apartment.

I read somewhere that 70% of the foreigners in Taiwan live in Taipei.

well, I am mostly choosing Taipei b/c I need people that can speak English. From what I have heard, English on the rest of the island is hit or miss…

Recalibrate. Except in hotels and unis, English in most of Taipei is hit or miss. Outside Taipei, English is hit or miss in hotels and unis, and close to zero elsewhere.

Wouldn’t be a problem for AJ. You should follow his advice about year-long Lent.