Fines

Anyone knows what are the fines (mandates) in Taiwan for:

Exceeding the speed limits. Every 10km, 20km ?
Driving through red light.
Crossing the street walking while its red light?

Thanks!

As fred smith would say:

:roflmao:

It doesn’t matter what the fines are. The chance of being stopped for these things is close to zero. Two exceptions:

• scooters running a red light past traffic cops specifically placed on an intersection to catch scooters running red lights. All other vehicles will be ignored, as will all other traffic violations. I think the fine is a few hundred NT$.
  • scooters turning left on a green filter arrow will be stopped and ticketed (again, a few hundred NT$). As everyone knows, scooters are supposed to park up on the right and wait for a straight-ahead arrow. Nobody knows how to turn left properly, so it would be carnage if this particular law wasn’t enforced.

In my country fines are pretty big and they are checking speed limits of cars almost everywhere. Was just curious.

[quote=“finley”]As fred smith would say:

:roflmao:

It doesn’t matter what the fines are. The chance of being stopped for these things is close to zero. Two exceptions:

• scooters running a red light past traffic cops specifically placed on an intersection to catch scooters running red lights. All other vehicles will be ignored, as will all other traffic violations. I think the fine is a few hundred NT$.
  • scooters turning left on a green filter arrow will be stopped and ticketed (again, a few hundred NT$). As everyone knows, scooters are supposed to park up on the right and wait for a straight-ahead arrow. Nobody knows how to turn left properly, so it would be carnage if this particular law wasn’t enforced.[/quote]
    Finley, I think there is change in the Air,regarding enforcement in Taiwan.The new Drink/driving laws are being enforced strictly in Taichung,at least. Also had a friend in Taitung who got a speeding ticket 105kmh in a 70kmh zone got an automatic 3 month licence suspension and 10,000 nt fine.

WOW… for exceeding limit 35kmh 3 month licence suspension? Unbelievable

It seems unusual, first offense?
105 through a residential zone would be really pushing it though, Taiwan’s speed limits are still much higher than most countries in residential areas.

Basically, there is no risk of getting caught.

Just don’t screw around with drink & drive !!

[quote=“CemXen”]Basically, there is no risk of getting caught.

Just don’t screw around with drink & drive !![/quote]

Incorrect. Here in Kaohsiung they have installed many cameras. I have already got two fines for driving my car over the limit. 1800 each, and one for my scooter which was 900.

@bigduke6

How much You exceeded the limits?

[quote=“Neoni”]@bigduke6

How much You exceeded the limits?[/quote]
Most recent a few weeks ago …I know about…if you are more than 60-80kmh over the speed limit you lose the Car plates for 3 months,8000NT fine,and have to attend a 1 day course.

[quote=“Neoni”]@bigduke6

How much You exceeded the limits?[/quote]

honestly cannot remember. Not by that much.

Actually made a mistake. The car fines were
3600 each.

So assuming for exceeding the speed limit by 30km/h there is some driving license suspension + fine?

I just got 2 speeding camera tickets in Taipei. Haven’t looked at em properly, but 1400NT each. Probably doing about 25-30 over. One in a Neihu Tunnel, one on Shimin Blvd. Can check the exact details later if anyone is interested in the exact speed over. Was on a bike.

So is there different law in different cities or what? Some of You said that for over 30kmh got their driving license suspended and some only 1400nt fine? Whats the truth?

When I took the driving test, the text book said that here in Taiwan they have a points-based driving license system, so that every time you break the law they deduct you one or more points, and you might eventually run out of points, getting your license temporarily cancelled.

Now, I’m sure that I should have run out of points long long time ago. But they keep sending me fines! weird system :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“jesus80”]When I took the driving test, the text book said that here in Taiwan they have a points-based driving license system, so that every time you break the law they deduct you one or more points, and you might eventually run out of points, getting your license temporarily cancelled.

Now, I’m sure that I should have run out of points long long time ago. But they keep sending me fines! weird system :P[/quote]
They are now starting to confiscate your Vehicle Plates,if you exceed the speed limit by 60-80kmh…automatically

Oops! I don´t think that I will ever exceed it by 80kmh, but 60 is still possible :smiley:

Good to know, thanks. I will bear it in mind. BTW… how about the points thing?

My photo radar tickets:

1. 78 in a 50 = 1400NT

2. 64 in a 40 = 1400NT

Any points ?