Finishline lube (and other ptfe based lubes)

i have started using finishline instead of simpler lube. the ptfe based gear seems good at enduring rain but it seems to become a really viscous, messy gunk easily. I have noticed shop mechanics always use simple lube. Is PTFE lube considered better in all respects? Should I be cleaning the chain and wheeels a little more often? Is there any advantage to the simpler lubes?

There are tables of components and type of grease to use, and there are lots of discussions online about this. I’d look for specs and people’s feedback before using one or another. Still it’s not 100% clear to me what part of the bicycle you want to lube… just the chain?

Finishline has (had?) a couple of options with their lubes. The red cap is a teflon-based dry lube and the green cap is a wet lube. The green cap will work better in the rain, but it will also attract dirt and grime. You’ll want to clean your drivetrain more often.

Make sure and run your chain through a rag after lubing to wipe off the excess. This will help to keep it cleaner.

A trick I used to do with the red cap is put a couple of ball bearings in the bottle and that helps to mix it up when you shake it.

I’ve used both red and green Finishline bottles and this is exactly how I see it.

Aside from the wet vs teflon lube. The red you need to lube more often, but will keep the chain cleaner for a longer time. Whereas the green you do not need to lube often, but the chain will attract a lot of dirt/gunk.

So:

red, you use more lube, less time and cleaning products
green, you use less lube, more time and cleaning products

I can’t really say which one I prefer, but I lean towards green, as sometimes I forget or get lazy with lubing the chain when I used red.

Green (just the chain)

NFS

expensive

The best stuff usually is…

For a long time been using muc off dry lube and wet oil lube from Decathlon.
Muc off run out was wet period so stuck with wet lube, that run out I started using sewing machine oil :joy: actually pretty good thin so gets in links and on the floor.
Become dry now not cleaned my bike or chain for 2+ months. Very black and fed up of black chain marks on my calf brushing against chain.
Bought new cassette and seems to becoming drier :crossed_fingers:given bike and chain whole lot a good clean and degrease. now have 2 bikes to lube. Shimano 11sp new cassette, shimano chain 2000km. new campagnolo 11sp gear set, campy chain testing Km only.
I’m going to try different lube on each bike. Shimano finish line Red Cap, Campagnolo Squirt wax and water emulation.
See how it goes will get back after a few miles.

Comprehensive testing, I like it!
Sewing machine oil… funny you mention it, that it is what I am using at the moment too, really light and penetrating but doesn’t last long.

1 Like

Hot wax. I’ll never go back to oil based lubes.

I have to clean my bike less often. And I don’t have to set the bathroom on fire after it. Actually, it looks clean after cleaning my bike because the only black stuff coming out of the bike is brake pad dust.

Rewaxing a chain cannot be easier too. While the only thing I do to the drivetrain is removing some of the old wax with a brush.

I’ve never tried waxing, how do you do yours? Out of bottle like the squirt I’ve bought?
I’m spending a small fortune on bike parts lately, decided need to look after more.
My cassette was totally trashed, been using for 3 years and was on a used bike I bought then.
Disgusted with now spare Giant SR hubs loose bearing sets, not sealed and supposed to be premium.

Submerging the chain in melted wax.

This website has all the info you need, and many more. It can be intimidating at the beginning, but trust me, the lazier you are, the happier you’ll be with wax.

OK I’m doing something right, cleaning correctly, I start with mineral turps and then alcohol.
Buying 2 new pots of lube at 700ntd I’ll wait until used.
Should need 1 new chain by that time and start waxing then.
I can certainly see how keeps clean, your right suit lazy cleaner such as myself.
I find it pain to do in Taipei, back home I had a hosepipe and air compressor , come back from mountain biking, lightly hose mud off wipe around with a cloth, dry around fixings, chain and hubs with air gun. Quick lube up 10 minutes.
Very informative site thanks.

Where do you guys buy the mineral turps / methylated spirits / alcohol?

And how do you dispose of them?

I have a slow cooker and wax but always a bit put off by the cleaning process.

I go here for anything of that type 24hr sells everything

Dispose by evaporation wiping cloth. Liquid left use again.

1 Like

I use this

When I did my research, it looked like the closest thing to mineral turps. Then I use IPA 99%.

Still have to figure out where to dispose it. The naphta actually evaporated. I guess the container I used wasn’t air tight.

2 Likes

So far so good, I like the Finish Line, feels like a wet lube but not, quiet and slick.

I removed all factory lube from Campagnolo chain, was hard work :sweat: really happy with Squirt wax. Very quiet and smooth shifting seems faster?
Getting to use mechanical manual gearing again is a pain so be going up for sale soon.

My neighbor was machining a bunch of teflon… and asked if I like some teflon shavings. I said I have no idea what I’d do with them, apart from grinding them up and making lubes with it…

I’d love some magnesium or titanium shavings, much more fun but I doubt my neighbor is going to go machine those.