Finland residence permit for taiwanese

Taiwanese passport holders can apply for biometric residence permit cards in Finland after they have already entered the Scandinavian country instead of having to apply prior to their arrival, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Thursday. Finland announced Dec. 19 last year that it would introduce biometric residence permit cards at the beginning of 2012 and that from Jan. 1, all foreigners entering Finland must have completed interviews and submitted personal biometic data as part of the immigration process before arrival. After the MOFA made strenuous efforts to simplify the complex immigration process facing Taiwanese nationals, including filing for a residence visa and having an interview in a third nation because Taiwan and Finland maintain no formal diplomatic relations, the Finnish authorities agreed that Taiwanese passport holders can apply for biometric residence permit cards after they arrive in Finland, said James Lee, director-general of the MOFA’s Department of European Affairs. --HAVE ANYONE EXPERIENCE THIS UPON ARRIVAL IN FINLAND?And HOW TRUE IS THIS?

1 Like

2012? Sounds outdated ^^

Before you go, be aware that Finland is not a “Scandinavian country.”

But please carry on.

Guy

I think it’s similar to Germany letting people from certain countries to apply for residence permits in country after entering rather than doing it from their home country. I do not know if they have added Taiwan to that list (right now it’s US, UK, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, etc.)

You need to check with Finland’s immigration agency for this. If they allow this then apply after entering. I don’t know if the chance of success is different, but it may vary based on the region of Finland you intend to reside in…

Some first world countries are loosening immigration rules because they all have aging population and so they need people coming in to support their social benefits. But then it has invited some backlash…

this site of Finland Trade Center in Taiwan doesn’t tell the same thing.