Fir tree grows inside man's lung

I always thought it was a joke: “If you eat that, it’ll grow.” “Oh no! The seed’s in your ear… it’ll grow there!”

There’s video at the link.

[quote=“Telegraph”]Surgeons find fir tree ‘growing inside patient’s lung’

The amazing ‘discovery’ was apparently made when they opened up Artyom Sidorkin, 28, to remove what they thought was a serious tumour.

Mr Sidorkin had complained of extreme pain in his chest and had been coughing up blood. Doctors were convinced he had cancer.

“We were 100 per cent sure,” said Vladimir Kamashev, a surgeon in Izhevsk in the Urals. "We did X-rays and found what looked exactly like a tumour.

“I had seen hundreds before, so we decided on surgery.”

Before removing part of the man’s lung, the surgeon investigated the tissue.

“I thought I was hallucinating,” said Mr Kamashev. “I asked my assistant to have a look: ‘Come and see this – we’ve got a fir tree here’. He nodded in shock. I blinked three times as I was sure I was seeing things.”

Medical staff said that Mr Sidorkin must have inhaled a seed, which later sprouted into a small fir tree inside his lung.

The spruce, which was said to be touching the man’s capillaries and causing severe pain, was removed.

“It was very painful. But to be honest I did not feel any foreign object inside me,” said Mr Sidorkin. “I’m so relieved it’s not cancer.”

There was no independent verification of the surgeon’s claims. [/quote]

I got pines 'n needles.

I just heard about this on ICRT radio.

The claim seems highly dubious. I’m no scientist but I don’t think its physically possible for a seed to grow inside the environment of the human body.

But isn’t that how babies are made? :ponder: Seed from the daddy into the mommy?

But isn’t that how babies are made? :ponder: Seed from the daddy into the mommy?[/quote]

They have to be stork seeds, silly. :unamused:

Fir seeds are kinda large: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fir

I’m skeptical.

The entire cone isn’t needed to make one baby tree! I think it would be fairly difficult to get an entire pine cone through such a small opening. Sandman?

If you look at this link you can see some seeds:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Abies_fraseri_seeds.jpg&imgrefurl=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Abies_fraseri_seeds.jpg&usg=___B7a016qwlDL-doXGgUwAkjBE8E=&h=2000&w=3008&sz=1330&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=FIueh28mkNB06M:&tbnh=100&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfir%2Bseeds%2B-douglas%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

OK

Seems crazy, but I’d believe it. After all, is it really crazier than doctors removing a 176 pound tumor from a woman, reducing her body weight to 88 pounds, or all the stories of women who give birth and didn’t even realize they were pregnant?. There are all kinds of weird medical stories. Who knows?

There sure are. An anaesthetist I knew told a story from her early days in medicine in the Soviet Union. Sent out to some far flung outpost of the empire, she investigated a couple’s inability to get pregnant. All tests indicated everything was working as it should. She was producing good eggs, and his sperm was replete with able swimmers. Just about to write it off as unexplained infertility, case closed, someone asked how they “did it.” Turns out they’d only ever done anal sex.

HG

There sure are. An anaesthetist I knew told a story from her early days in medicine in the Soviet Union. Sent out to some far flung outpost of the empire, she investigated a couple’s inability to get pregnant. All tests indicated everything was working as it should. She was producing good eggs, and his sperm was replete with able swimmers. Just about to write it off as unexplained infertility, case closed, someone asked how they “did it.” Turns out they’d only ever done anal sex.

HG[/quote]

No way!

Way. There’s nowt so queer as folk, it doesn’t take long working in a hospital to realise that.

HG

HG[/quote]

:ponder:
Let’s see, I’ve heard that story told about a couple in China in the 1980s, meant to demonstrate how backwards the citizenry were after being closed off from the world.
I’ve heard that story told about Ireland in the 1950s, meant to demonstrate how the Catholic church kept the citizenry in a chokehold of ignorance.
Heck, I’ve heard that story told about Middle Eastern countries, meant to demonstrate how oppressive fundamentalist Muslims are, with the inevitable side point of how all them camel jockeys are all boy lovers at heart.
Personally, I’m skeptical…

Now, if the woman had a fir tree growing in her ass, OK, then we can talk…

And yet, when it was told by a Czech anaethetist in the middle of a gynaecological operation and a roomful of medical people, not one person doubted her. I’m telling ya, man, the world is full of oddities, and a little time in medicine certainly exposes that.

HG

What about women giving birth to fish or alien implants?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Way. There’s nowt so queer as folk, it doesn’t take long working in a hospital to realise that.

HG[/quote]

Welllll . . . . My grandmother did once relate the story of a woman she worked with who went to the doc for some persistant female problems. The doc told her to use vinegar and water douche every day until things cleared up. The woman, apparently, started to complain after about a week that she was tired of drinking all that vinegar. She had no idea how the doc had meant for her to use it.

Still, that’s a heck of a lot different than taking it up the rear night after night and not figuring out some things when you failed to concieve.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]And yet, when it was told by a Czech anaethetist in the middle of a gynaecological operation and a roomful of medical people, not one person doubted her. I’m telling ya, man, the world is full of oddities, and a little time in medicine certainly exposes that.

HG[/quote]

I’d say it’s possible the seed germinated in his lung- warmth, moist air, CO2, darkness (some seeds germinate according to light/dark ratio), could be a true story.

Yeah, OK, but nutrients???
No soil or sunshine?
Last I checked those were pretty much basic requirements for your average conifer.
Note, it wasn’t a germinated seed, it was a “small fir tree”.

ETA: I just read it again. Utter bollocks