Fire at CKS Airport

HaH! Nice avatar, Ceevee369 :wink:

the story develops (madness)

[quote]Investigators yesterday discovered the remains of two sky lanterns, which may have caused the worst fire in 27 years to hit the Chiang Kai-shek (CKS) International Airport a day earlier.
One of the used lanterns was nearly intact, with the Chinese characters on it still quite clear to read, making it an important clue for investigators seeking to discover the cause of the blaze.

Wayward sky lanterns, launched as part of a traditional Taiwanese festival, are the main suspects in the blaze that forced airport authorities Sunday to close down a runway for three hours.

The CKS airport director Wei Sheng-chi said the remains of the two lanterns had been handed to airport security, with lantern launchers facing possible fines of NT$300,000 to NT$1.5 million.

Wei said it is forbidden to launch sky lanterns within a five-kilometer radius of the airport. But he added his airport did not rule out the possibility that the lanterns were launched further away as winds were strong that day.

Wei said Taoyuan police are investigating an incident of lantern-launching in Chuwei, which possibly caused the fire. The airport had also obtained evidence that lanterns had been launched within its restricted areas, he said.

Taiwan’s Minister of the Interior Lee Yi-yang said his ministry would amend the law to have sky lanterns listed as dangerous objects. Under the new laws, people wishing to launch these lanterns would first need to apply for a permit with fire prevention authorities.

Police said on Sunday that the floating lanterns descended on a grassland near one of the runways at the airport, sparking a fire.

Investigators from the Taoyuan fire prevention bureau, airport fire fighters and criminal investigators from airport security combed the airport for clues yesterday morning, examining the sites where the fires started. Airport authorities sealed the airport runways off from the media and public during this time.

Wei told reporters that the fires started in several different places, with strong winds on the day of the incident running at over 30 knots. He said the airport’s radar and navigation equipment for guiding planes were not harmed in the blaze.

Sunday marked the traditional lantern festival widely celebrated in Chinese speaking societies.

Many Taiwanese launch paper sky lanterns, with small torches in the middle, and let the winds carry them into the sky, an act believed to bring good luck.

Wayward lanterns caused 30 other fire incidents in Taipei county, but no major injuries or damage were reported, police said.

But three people were lightly injured in Miaoli county on Sunday after a driver was startled by a falling sky lantern on a highway and lost control of a tour bus.
[/quote]

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/detail.asp?ID=76902&GRP=A

China Post
“But three people were lightly injured in Miaoli county on Sunday after a driver was startled by a falling sky lantern on a highway and lost control of a tour bus.”

It shouldn’t matter from which viscinity lanterns were launched; airport viscinity or not!

China Post
“Many Taiwanese launch paper sky lanterns, with small torches in the middle, and let the winds carry them into the sky, an act believed to bring good luck.”

Hah! (the irony - it’s like wishing for random disaster)

I seriously think, the best thing for Taiwan is the Media. It’s the most effective tool, because it exposes the most valued aspect to life here: ‘FACE’.

and another story from TT, with a little more info

[quote]In the wake of Sunday night’s fire near CKS International Airport’s runways caused by at least two wayward sky lanterns, the Ministry of the Interior (MOI) said yesterday that it will amend the Fire Prevention Regulations (消防法) to include the release of sky lanterns.

The lanterns descended on a grassy area near one of the runways, sparking a fire and forcing authorities to shut down one runway for three hours, police said.

Before the runway was shut down, a pilot had to divert his aircraft in an emergency maneuver to avoid the belching smoke and land it at an alternative runway to the south, according to media reports.

As various government agencies passed the buck to one another yesterday over the blaze, Minister of the Interior Lee Yi-yang (李逸洋) decided to take responsibility for preventing such incidents in the future. Lee said that “active management” would be necessary in the future.

Under the proposed amendment, sky lanterns will be considered highly hazardous – just like fireworks.

Those who wish to release sky lanterns will need to first obtain permission from their local fire department.

Commenting on the fire at the airport, and 30 other fire incidents in Taipei County on Sunday night that were caused by sky lanterns, Lee said if the release of a sky lantern causes a fire, it will be considered an offense against public safety.

Airport officials said yesterday that they had found two sky lanterns at the scene of the fire and had turned them over to the Aviation Police Office.

They said anyone convicted of causing Sunday night’s fire would face a fine between NT$300,000 (US$9,200) and NT$1.5 million.

Sunday marked the traditional Lantern Festival widely celebrated in Chinese-speaking societies.

Many Taiwanese launch paper lanterns, with small torches in the middle, and let the winds carry them into the sky, an act belived to help bring good luck.
[/quote]

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2006/02/14/2003292955

[quote]Many Taiwanese launch paper lanterns, with small torches in the middle, and let the winds carry them into the sky, an act belived to help bring good luck.
[/quote]

This statement is repeated in both separate articles from two different newspapers! (Coincidence?) :help:

AhI and so it is someone drops the screen and the magic is revealed!

Almost all stories are cobbled off newswires.

HG

only problem at the airport this morning was that they couldn’t get the gate to hook up with the plane. that caused a delay, but nothing major …

Damn. I used to think much higher about chinese culture, after being here I discovered its more than obscure, dangerous and in many ways plain neanderthal.

Chinese New Year is so boring too! People just get red enveloppes and go home (no gifts or fun, in fact most people ESCAPE from the island to go on vacation)! The lantern festival seems to be some kind of mass crazy firework movement down the streets with additional fireball lanterns set in the windy skies.
So far I only like Dragonboat Festival and Moonfestival (cause of the cakes).

Chinse culture is… overrated.

Time to leave, fast!

HG

Engerim: That is PRECISELY what I have thought since my arrival here, over 3 years ago! \o/ You stole the words right out of my mouth, even about Chinese New Year being so boring, and that people even ESCAPE this damned place (I couldn’t believe it, I was rearing to get out and explore this time of year, and was very let down to see deserted streets). Insane to think that this is a subtropical island, which should be attractive enough to bring in a tourism industry, yet it’s been dedicated to mass factory production, and not much more successfully advertised vacation beauty.

Yes, if you manage to go out of the cities (in the untouched areas) it can be very beautiful.

Green Grass Lake near the Hsinchu Science Park

Everything which connects to nature here seems to be sortof deserted (unless it has Karaoke or a BBQ stand). Above photo was made last saturday (very sunny day). I was the only one in the area (its 1km from the very very busy city). In europe this place would be packed.

I went alone as my taiwanese girlfriend prefered to watch TV. :slight_smile:

Guess a way to survive here on the long term is to enjoy what taiwanese don’t seem to be able to enjoy. Strangely if you manage to tag some along with you they enjoy it very very much.