Fireflies "concentration camp"

This is on the national Tourism Bureau’s website:

The concentration camp for fireflies is right here in Alishan

The season for the fireflies in Alishan to flourish magnificently is from early April to late June every year. Accompanied with the activity of “Alishan dances with the fireflies in 2006” elaborately organized by the units such as Chiayi County Government, Chiayi Forest District Office and Alishan National Scenic Area Administration, the firefly season in Alishan was announced open formally…

202.39.225.132/jsp/Eng/html/news … 04/17/2006

Dear oh dear oh dear…

[quote=“StevenCrook”]This is on the national Tourism Bureau’s website:

The concentration camp for fireflies is right here in Alishan

The season for the fireflies in Alishan to flourish magnificently is from early April to late June every year. Accompanied with the activity of “Alishan dances with the fireflies in 2006” elaborately organized by the units such as Chiayi (Jiayi) County Government, Chiayi (Jiayi) Forest District Office and Alishan National Scenic Area Administration, the firefly season in Alishan was announced open formally…

202.39.225.132/jsp/Eng/html/news … 04/17/2006

Dear oh dear oh dear…[/quote]

Interestingly, my wife and I discovered fireflies on the old tree trail in Alishan Village itself in January. Not even the park’s people knew they came up so early. I guess not many people walk on the trail when it is dark. But I’m a boy scout and always carry a flashlight.

That’s a 93-word sentence! :laughing:

We saw a lot of fireflies on our last Fulong hike…but we were slogging through jungle on a treacherous, overgrown trail in the dark. Not recommended… But we saw lots of fireflies!!

Yes, next time we can just drive up to the temple and enjoy them on the road like everyone else.

Oh, and it was Daxi my friend. We weren’t that lost. :wink:

When I lived further out in the countryside, I used to see a firefly or two almost every evening, right by my house - but never the swarms that get tourists excited. And that place was less than 50 meters above sea level, and within 5 km of some major factories.

Some, but not many fireflies around Chiayi. I think they must have been “evacuated to the East.”

Fireflies, especially the aquatic variety, don’t seem to be able to take the pollution.

Only place I’ve ever seen fireflies was in Austria.

[quote=“almas john”]Some, but not many fireflies around Chiayi (Jiayi). I think they must have been “evacuated to the East.”

Fireflies, especially the aquatic variety, don’t seem to be able to take the pollution.[/quote]

This article:
failuremag.com/arch_science_fireflies.html

suggests habitat loss and the huge amount of ambient light humans produce as being factors in firefly decline, at least in the USA. I wouldn’t be surprised if the same is true here.