Fireflies in Taiwan

Sandman… how far is this from my house?

How far is what? The Bitan fireflies or the Jenny’s Firefly Garden?
Bitan is just across the footbridge, take the first left up the hill past the temple. A 5-minute walk from the footbridge.
Jenny’s Firefly Garden is about a half-hour drive. Add another half-hour if Ankeng Road is jammed (which is ALWAYS).

I saw some just the other evening on the way up Tiger Mt. (behind Elephant Mt). I first spotted them at around 7:30, about 20~30 fireflies scattered in the woods. By the time I came down about 40 minutes later, there were a lot fewer. So I’d say the best time to view them would be between 6:30 and 7:30 in the evening.

So it’s firefly season again? I was thinking May until I checked out this thread.

I’m going to check out the Ankeng spot. I only caught the tail ened of it last year.

Brian

Sanxia just started its firefly season …

Yeah, we saw hundreds of them at the finish of the Batongguan Trail last week. What a sight to end a week-long hike.

Hmm, maybe it’s to early in the season or I went too late 7:30-8:00Pm. There were quite a few out, but not swarms,

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Hmm, maybe it’s to early in the season or I went too late 7:30-8:00Pm. There were quite a few out, but not swarms,

Brian[/quote]

Probably too late. I find they are most numerous and active just around dark to 30-60 minutes afterwards.

Found this great little blog entry on fireflies in Taiwan including tips on how to photo them.

Link?

Link?[/quote]

hanjies.blogspot.com/2008/04/firefly-season.html

:blush: