Firefox 3 unstable

Yay it’s Friday: Fush and Chups night.

And since it’s Friday . . .

i think i sent this one to you before, Tru, but I think there’s some newies in here. I’m astonished how accurate these really are, which gets me wondering how it is even remotely possible other people in the world have trouble distinguishing an Aussie from a kiwi accent. Even the poms have trouble telling the difference!

[quote]Milbun - Capital of Victoria
Peck - To fill a suitcase
Pissed aside - Chemical which kills insects
Pigs - For hanging out washing
Pug - Large animal with curly tail
Nin tin dough - Computer game
Munner stroney - Soup
Min - Male of the species
Mess Kara - Eye makeup
McKennock - Person who fixes cars
Mere - Mayor
Leather - Foam produced from soap
Lift - Departed
Kiri Pecker - Famous Australian businessman
Kittle crusps - Potato chips
Ken’s - Cairns
Jumbo - Pet name for someone called Jim
Jungle Bills - Christmas Carol
Inner me - Enemy
Guess - Vapour
Fush - Marine creatures
Fitter cheney - Type of pasta
Ever cardeau - Avocado
Fear hear - Blonde
Ear - Mix of nitrogen and oxygen
Ear roebucks - Exercise at gym
Duffy cult - Not easy
Amejen - Visualise
Day old chuck - Very young poultry
Bug hut - Popular recording
Bun button - Been bitten by an insect
Beard - A place to sleep
Chully bin - Esky
Sucks peck - Half a dozen beers
Ear New Zealand - An extinct airline
Beers - Large savage animals found in U.S. forests
One doze - Well known computer program
Sex - One less than seven
Iggs ecktly - Precisely
Beggage chucken - Place to leave your luggage at the earport.[/quote]

The worst thing about eet ees that’s eets so horribly eenfecshus!

HG

I’ve been running 3.0.3 on a Vista Dell desktop with no issues for about a month. About a week ago, I updated my XP Dell laptop and no issues.

It does seem there are some websites that don’t function properly with Firefox. It is my default browser, but I resort to using IE when I do run into the odd problem here and there. It’s usually a functionality issue. For example, membership services on ESPN.com seem to be glitched up using Firefox for many people, while IE works perfectly.

I do prefer Firefox, but it’s not 100%. They have some work to do yet.

[quote=“Mer”]It does seem there are some websites that don’t function properly with Firefox. It is my default browser, but I resort to using IE when I do run into the odd problem here and there. It’s usually a functionality issue. For example, membership services on ESPN.com seem to be glitched up using Firefox for many people, while IE works perfectly.

I do prefer Firefox, but it’s not 100%. They have some work to do yet.[/quote]

www.speedtv.com
There is a script on the site that hangs up FireFox every time. This goes back for several versions. It’s not just a 3.0.3 problem…

[quote=“flatlander_48”][quote=“Mer”]It does seem there are some websites that don’t function properly with Firefox. It is my default browser, but I resort to using IE when I do run into the odd problem here and there. It’s usually a functionality issue. For example, membership services on ESPN.com seem to be glitched up using Firefox for many people, while IE works perfectly.

speedtv.com
There is a script on the site that hangs up FireFox every time. This goes back for several versions. It’s not just a 3.0.3 problem…[/quote]That site works fine for me.

It works OK with IE7 and Opera 9.60 also. Are there any arcane settings that relate to scripts in FireFox?

I used firefox 3 when i installed Linux on my PC and yep had the same problem on airnz site, problem really as i was trying to book a flight home.
Turns out i could not even get off the island coz had the same issue with eva and china airlines sites too.
In the end got so frustrated with linux and firefox so just resorted back to microsoft…may not be perfect but at least it works…mostly.

It works OK with IE7 and Opera 9.60 also. Are there any arcane settings that relate to scripts in FireFox?[/quote]I haven’t tweaked anything that I’m aware of. I tried disabling Adblock Plus to see if an ad on that site was creating the problem you’re having, but it still worked fine for me.

[quote=“PeteDa”]I used firefox 3 when i installed Linux on my PC and yep had the same problem on airnz site, problem really as I was trying to book a flight home.
Turns out i could not even get off the island because had the same issue with eva and china airlines sites too.
In the end got so frustrated with linux and firefox so just resorted back to microsoft…may not be perfect but at least it works…mostly.[/quote]
Yeah, some local sites still work best in IE, unfortunately. It does seem that there are fewer than there used to be, though. I think there’s a gradual move towards standards­­-­compliant sites that work well on any modern browser.

[quote=“flatlander_48”][quote=“Mer”]It does seem there are some websites that don’t function properly with Firefox. It is my default browser, but I resort to using IE when I do run into the odd problem here and there. It’s usually a functionality issue. For example, membership services on ESPN.com seem to be glitched up using Firefox for many people, while IE works perfectly.

speedtv.com
There is a script on the site that hangs up FireFox every time. This goes back for several versions. It’s not just a 3.0.3 problem…[/quote]

The first time I visited, the site showed up momentarily, then reverted to a black screen with words to the effect of “This ad will close in 15 seconds”.

The second time I visited, I had no problems.

I have AdBlock Plus, of course.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“flatlander_48”][quote=“Mer”]It does seem there are some websites that don’t function properly with Firefox. It is my default browser, but I resort to using IE when I do run into the odd problem here and there. It’s usually a functionality issue. For example, membership services on ESPN.com seem to be glitched up using Firefox for many people, while IE works perfectly.

speedtv.com
There is a script on the site that hangs up FireFox every time. This goes back for several versions. It’s not just a 3.0.3 problem…[/quote]

The first time I visited, the site showed up momentarily, then reverted to a black screen with words to the effect of “This ad will close in 15 seconds”.

The second time I visited, I had no problems.

I have AdBlock Plus, of course.[/quote]How strange. Absolutely no problems for me, with or without AdBlock Plus enabled. FF 3.03, XP SP3, no particular fancy bits.

For you HGC: Playing in NZ right now…

youtube.com/watch?v=nqRVqXMyzhM

Geez, the cross Tasman ribbing starts so young! :laughing:

HG

I have two installations of FF3, both v 3.0.3 both running on XP with SP2 and both have the same add ons. One here on my laptop and one on my PC at work. My laptop installation is fine but FF3 is forever crashing on my office PC. It simply freezes, totally dead. Even worse is when I kill the app it takes Windows Explorer with it, so the task bar freezes… Tried re-installs but same same…

[quote=“Roach”]I have two installations of FF3, both v 3.0.3 both running on XP with SP2 and both have the same add ons. One here on my laptop and one on my PC at work. My laptop installation is fine but FF3 is forever crashing on my office PC. It simply freezes, totally dead. Even worse is when I kill the app it takes Windows Explorer with it, so the task bar freezes… Tried re-installs but same same…[/quote]Roach, this probably won’t help your Firefox problem, but is there any particular reason you’re sticking with SP2? I’ve had SP3 on a couple of computers for months and it’s been good. It doesn’t look that different (apart from if you choose to get the lauded desktop search thingy with it), but it does seem to keep things running very smoothly, and it’s pretty much essential if you want to keep up-to-date with security stuff.

No problems with FF3.0.3 on my XP. No crashes. For the few sites that FF doesn’t work properly on - all Taiwanese sites btw - I have the IE Tab extension. A single click and it switches the tab to IE without even having to open a new window.

It was really getting frustrating with my IE. It seems the websites would load and then never finish. Couldn’t hardly see anything without long long waits. So today I finally broke down and put the Firefox on my computer. So far it works great, so much faster than stupid Microsoft. Why didn’t anyone ever tell me it was so much better?

I think you’ll also find its a much safer browser to use. FF doesn’t load ActiveX stuff on websites automatically like IE does, it doesn’t have the holes IE does, etc etc. The ActiveX problem was especially bad since malicious code on a website can allow for spyware, malware and viruses to run on your computer without you.

Be careful about loading it up with plug-ins, extensions and other downloads. Unfortunately FF has gone from a simple, sleek browser to an ever more bloated one. Worlds better than IE ever is, but its such a damn memory hog. I have only 5 tabs open and its using 290 megs of memory, without any extra plug-ins, just the browser.

I think you’ll also find its a much safer browser to use. FF doesn’t load ActiveX stuff on websites automatically like IE does, it doesn’t have the holes IE does, etc etc. The ActiveX problem was especially bad since malicious code on a website can allow for spyware, malware and viruses to run on your computer without you.

Be careful about loading it up with plug-ins, extensions and other downloads. Unfortunately FF has gone from a simple, sleek browser to an ever more bloated one. Worlds better than IE ever is, but its such a damn memory hog. I have only 5 tabs open and its using 290 megs of memory, without any extra plug-ins, just the browser.[/quote]
I find it’s got better in that regard. I think version 2 was a worse hog. But if I want to fire up a browser really quickly, I click the Google Chrome icon. I use Firefox for serious stuff where I need my plugins.

I still find Firefox 3 disappointing in some respects. Yes, I agree that overall it is better and safer than IE, but Firefox 3 remains buggy IMHO.

On ESPN for example, if you try to launch their video player, it says you need to install Flash8 to view video content. I have Flash8 installed. It works on other sites. Any attempts to download the latest version of Flash, and re-install, do nothing to solve the problem.
There’s other problems associated with Firefox3 and ESPN as well, and strangely enough those problems are only with Firefox 3. Firefox 2 was fine.

The only nod I give to IE over the latest Firefox is that IE works with 100% of websites, in my experience anyway. Firefox3 needs a bit more quality control.