Firewall

I turned the firewall off for 10 minutes to allow a PDA to link into my computer and both windows spy alert software and AVG activated to tell me I had a virus on the computer.

First virus attack in probably 12 months.

I’m wondering how many of you dudes out there operate without a firewall. I know of one who runs firewallless at times very close to home. Must be virus city in their computer.

I can’t believe how quick that attack was. Bloody amazing. The little bugger is sitting in the AVG virus vault now. I’m going to leave it there forever to suffer.

[quote=“Ironman”]I turned the firewall off for 10 minutes to allow a PDA to link into my computer and both windows spy alert software and AVG activated to tell me I had a virus on the computer.

I’m wondering how many of you dudes out there operate without a firewall. I know of one who runs firewallless at times very close to home. Must be virus city in their computer.

I can’t believe how quick that attack was. Bloody amazing. The little bugger is sitting in the AVG virus vault now. I’m going to leave it there forever to suffer.[/quote]

If we are thinking of the same person, might explain his little crash the other week.

[quote=“Traveller”][quote=“Ironman”]I turned the firewall off for 10 minutes to allow a PDA to link into my computer and both windows spy alert software and AVG activated to tell me I had a virus on the computer.

I can’t believe how quick that attack was. Bloody amazing. The little bugger is sitting in the AVG virus vault now. I’m going to leave it there forever to suffer.[/quote]

If we are thinking of the same person, might explain his little crash the other week.[/quote]

No, this is another crashee. But, yes likely.

Are you running a fully patched and upto date version of windows ? Well, are you ?

I get a couple of attempted attacks a minute. Plenty of chances for one to slip through if I don’t have protection for even a few seconds. That’s just the ones stopped by my hardware firewall. I also have a software firewall, and my Windows is kept upto date so nothing can copy itself onto my computer.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Are you running a fully patched and upto date version of windows ? Well, are you ?

I get a couple of attempted attacks a minute. Plenty of chances for one to slip through if I don’t have protection for even a few seconds. That’s just the ones stopped by my hardware firewall. I also have a software firewall, and my Windows is kept upto date so nothing can copy itself onto my computer.[/quote]

No. I purchased a new computer and paid for a proper version of windows. But, it won’t update. Says its a fake.

Zonealarm basic seems to do the job really well.

Hardware firewall is a router? I don’t know much about these.

If you’re just trying to connect to your PDA, you should temporarily disconnect from the Internet when you turn off your firewall. That would most likely solve your problem. Going “firewallless” while connected to the Internet is very risky, as you’ve now seen.

How can you see/monitor the attacks?
Is it also possible to indentify the source and/or type of attack?

How can you see/monitor the attacks?
Is it also possible to indentify the source and/or type of attack?[/quote]

I know you can do this when you pay for Zonealarm Pro. I’m cheap and just have the free version. You hear good and bad about it. I can’t see a problem if you’re careful each time you grant permisson to a new program for in or out access.

BFM makes a VERY valid point here guys. Viruses get in because of holes in your Windows. These need to be constantly patched to keep them out. Connecting to internet without a fully UPDATED version of Windows is like leaving the keys in your car and the door open.

Ironman, I’m sorry about your updating problem. You should phone Microsoft about it. Seriously.

[quote=“irishstu”]BFM makes a VERY valid point here guys. Viruses get in because of holes in your Windows. These need to be constantly patched to keep them out. Connecting to internet without a fully UPDATED version of Windows is like leaving the keys in your car and the door open.

Ironman, I’m sorry about your updating problem. You should phone Microsoft about it. Seriously.[/quote]

I could have dropped in and asked Bill. I drove past his house in Seattle last November.

I’ll have to settle for the local vendor.

[quote=“Ironman”][quote=“irishstu”]BFM makes a VERY valid point here guys. Viruses get in because of holes in your Windows. These need to be constantly patched to keep them out. Connecting to internet without a fully UPDATED version of Windows is like leaving the keys in your car and the door open.

Ironman, I’m sorry about your updating problem. You should phone Microsoft about it. Seriously.[/quote]

I could have dropped in and asked Bill. I drove past his house in Seattle last November.

I’ll have to settle for the local vendor.[/quote]

No, in all seriousness. Imagine you were transferring your licence to another computer and needed to call Microsoft. It’s that sort of phonecall I’m talking about.

Anyway, if you think the shop will sort you out, even better.

[quote=“Ironman”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Are you running a fully patched and upto date version of windows ? Well, are you ?

I get a couple of attempted attacks a minute. Plenty of chances for one to slip through if I don’t have protection for even a few seconds. That’s just the ones stopped by my hardware firewall. I also have a software firewall, and my Windows is kept upto date so nothing can copy itself onto my computer.[/quote]

No. I purchased a new computer and paid for a proper version of windows. But, it won’t update. Says its a fake.

Hardware firewall is a router? I don’t know much about these.[/quote]

You can disable the authenticity check during Windows Update with the following procedure.

Easy procedure, and helps you to stay secure until you settled everything with the dealer. Did he give you an installation CD and License Key number btw?

[quote=“ratlung”][quote=“Ironman”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Are you running a fully patched and upto date version of windows ? Well, are you ?

Hardware firewall is a router? I don’t know much about these.[/quote]

You can disable the authenticity check during Windows Update with the following procedure.

Easy procedure, and helps you to stay secure until you settled everything with the dealer. Did he give you an installation CD and License Key number btw?[/quote]

Yes, I have the green decal on my computer. Says OEM software with a key.

Thanks for the tip.

[quote=“Ironman”]

Yes, I have the green decal on my computer. Says OEM software with a key.

Thanks for the tip.[/quote]

Hey, no problem, anything I can do to make you feel safer.

Sound like the organization generating the OEM keys had their key generator program compromised and either itself or quite few of its generated keys had been posted on the internet and thus Microsoft has banned the key generator.

Even with an invalid license key (one that for one reason or another will not pass Windows Genuine Advantage check) you can still download all the security updates for Windows.

Goto Control > Panel > Automatic Updates and set it to Automatic

You can set it just to check Every Tuesday or Wednesday, Microsoft patches are only every released on Tuesdays.