First human case of rat disease found

TT

"A Hong Kong man has developed the world’s first-ever human case of the rat version of the hepatitis E virus (HEV), according to research from one of the territory’s leading universities.

There had previously been no evidence that the disease could jump from rats to humans, the University of Hong Kong said yesterday, adding that the discovery has “major public health significance."

Don’t want to be rude, but when you live like rats, among rats, you can get any disease.

People live in friggin’ cages as an ‘apartment’! Stacked!

1 Like

No surprise it was the SARs jump off point as well.

Is it contained? Cross species virus mutations are especially nasty.

I believe the term you are looking for is xenoviruses. Or zoonosis. Zoonotic diseases.

But then when I looked it up CST is actually a thing and I seem to have made up xenoviruses, the term is xenotropic. Never mind . :slight_smile:

These things seems to almost always come out of China. Too many densely pullulated places and poor livestock containment. I hope they take more outbreak prevention measures.

The plague actually probably started from China before wiping out Europe. Most people don’t know that.

And of course I’m guessing China didn’t honor their agreement with Taiwan about giving each other heads up on possible outbreaks as always.

1 Like

How unfortunate. Has rowland made a full recovery yet?

2 Likes