First image of "black hole"

The Event Horizon Telescope has released the first direct image of a black hole in april 2019. This black hole lurks in the centre of a nearby galaxy called M87. This historic image shows a ring of light coming from the gas falling into the black hole.The EHT has imaged the silhouette or shadow of the black hole at the centre of M87, a galaxy 55 million light years from us. To make this image, astronomers combined data from 8 different telescopes across the world in an experiment in April 2017. The data was taken at a frequency of 230 GHz, or a wavelength of 1.3 mm. Using this, astronomers have formed an image of the black hole for the first time. The event horizon of a black hole is the ultimate boundary. Nothing from within it can escape out. The ring of fire in the EHT image is light from the gas falling into the event horizon, whose shadow is the dark hole in the centre. The exact shape of the ring is due to the way the incredible gravity of the black hole bends the light around it, and the incredible speed at which the gas is travelling is why the ring is not uniform in brightness.

1 Like

That’s like, a long distance. Well, we are lucky there’s not one close to us trying to suck us in to inexistence.

Do they do all their observations in April or is this fake news?

Is the post quoted from somewhere?

Can it be used to be sucked to about 1 billion years out?

2 Likes

Oops, that’s my car alarm going off.

1 Like

10 months for that joke?!

Even light takes a long time to travel that far.

Good things come to s/he who waits.

3 Likes

I think I’ll keep waiting then… :upside_down_face:

We now have an image of the black hole at the center of our milky way galaxy. This image is taken by a team which includes Taiwan’s Academia Sinica, which was just announced last night. So Veritasium put this video together at lightening speed.

However, the most fun part of the Veritasium video is the footage of stars orbiting the black hole at 24 million m/s erratically.

3 Likes