First Impressions of Keelung

I did half an hour in Neili and decided I wasn’t going back. It was far from the worst place I’d ever been, but there just wasn’t any upside. Lots of `hoods in Taiwan are like that. The Big Meh.

I’ve done an hour or two wandering about downtown Keelung. I might give it a second chance, but it’s not a priority. It’s a place. Taiwan is full of places.

We could have a page on train stops and coach bus terminals in Taiwan, rating them for the worthwhileness of getting off there. Most train stations on the west coast would earn a rating of NS: Nothing Special.

To get to the cool stuff needs a slightly scary bus ride. Thrilling scenery - especially in a downward direction - and the switchbacks give you an appreciation for all of Newton’s physical laws.

Getting around in Keelung is not hard if you’re an English-speaking foreigner. You can watch others first and use apps, hand and face motions, and any of your previous language knowledge. Again, I must state that I know a little bit of Chinese. For an absolute beginner, it would be more challenging, but Keelungers are very friendly and welcoming. And with all this in mind, I would encourage you to get out of your comfort zone; Keelung is a wonderful place to learn and practice your Chinese!

I went to Keelung recently and said the same. Should be nice, but its horrible. Walking around the streets kept getting knocked by motorbikes.Couldnt believe that a place so close to Taipei could be such a mess

Three months in, and there are two major things I hate.

1. Weather. Enough said. I thought Xindian was bad.
  2. One could pay for housing on campus at NTU with the money I spend commuting from Keelung to Taipei each month. I do not appreciate having to wake up before 6AM for a 8AM class. Technically you could get there in 30-40 minutes, but the scheduling of the buses I take to school means that I either arrive one hour early or narrowly miss being late.