First Plasticizer Culprits Sentenced

Just laughable … they endangered thousands of people’s health and they only get … 2 years!

They should be put in jail for life without parole …

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003516064

The mind boggles. The guy should count himself lucky he doesn’t live in China. A bullet costs less than keeping someone in jail for two years.

Just laughable … they endangered thousands of people’s health and they only get … 2 years!

They should be put in jail for life without parole …

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003516064[/quote]
As I said before, every judge can be bought for a price.

In China, they would get executed.

Thousands? More like millions.

Two years? What a sick joke.

Tis a disgrace…:frowning: :loco:

Appalingly lenient. What kind of message does that send out?

Very disappointing.

Thousands? More like millions.

Two years? What a sick joke.[/quote]

Do they do class action lawsuits here?

Wow :astonished: , this is a tough crowd. Two years is a long time for what is really nothing mare than ‘mild enhancment of toxic exposure with no direct connection to severe bodily injury or death’.

Ask yourself: What is the measure for health risk tolerance in our modern society?

For Instance:

-Colon and Rectal cancer kills ~50,000 people each year according to theACS: Yet no jailbird CEOs from Burger King, Outback or Buffalo Wild Wings…

-The ALA attribute ~13,000 deaths per year to coal fire power plant emissions in the USA alone. I am yet to see an indictment at the ACCCE.

-Julia Roberts won an Oscar for portraying little o’ Erin Brokavich from Hinkley, CA…last I checked, not a single PG&E executive was criminally charged.

-I don’t have time to explain it for those that don’t know, but Russel Bliss (the low man on the totem pole BTW) actually served 1 year forthis incident (and that was technecally on a tax evasion charge). Was it fair that the actual corporate polluters got off scot-free?

All of these cases have one thing in common: they all have ‘a man’ behind them that was knowingly polluting our world and knowingly poisoning our public for the purpose of making themselves money.

Point: Stop being shocked that the plasticizer incident didn’t cause heads to roll. These men lied, and now they are going to jail.

also: stop suggesting that ‘they’d be killed over in China’ like thatwould be a more ideal justice.

We live in constantly poluted world, drawing lines between who goes to jail and who goes on the Fortune 500 is not an easy task.

2 years is a stiff and ‘on par’ sentence for a civilized 1st world country.

[quote=“Maceck”]Wow :astonished: , this is a tough crowd. Two years is a long time for what is really nothing mare than ‘mild enhancment of toxic exposure with no direct connection to severe bodily injury or death’.

Ask yourself: What is the measure for health risk tolerance in our modern society?

For Instance:

-Colon and Rectal cancer kills ~50,000 people each year according to theACS: Yet no jailbird CEOs from Burger King, Outback or Buffalo Wild Wings…

-The ALA attribute ~13,000 deaths per year to coal fire power plant emissions in the USA alone. I am yet to see an indictment at the ACCCE.

-Julia Roberts won an Oscar for portraying little o’ Erin Brokavich from Hinkley, CA…last I checked, not a single PG&E executive was criminally charged.

-I don’t have time to explain it for those that don’t know, but Russel Bliss (the low man on the totem pole BTW) actually served 1 year forthis incident (and that was technecally on a tax evasion charge). Was it fair that the actual corporate polluters got off scot-free?

All of these cases have one thing in common: they all have ‘a man’ behind them that was knowingly polluting our world and knowingly poisoning our public for the purpose of making themselves money.

Point: Stop being shocked that the plasticizer incident didn’t cause heads to roll. These men lied, and now they are going to jail.

also: stop suggesting that ‘they’d be killed over in China’ like thatwould be a more ideal justice.

We live in constantly poluted world, drawing lines between who goes to jail and who goes on the Fortune 500 is not an easy task.

2 years is a stiff and ‘on par’ sentence for a civilized 1st world country.[/quote]
Are you always this irrational?

Coal power plant emissions? Really? Did you stop to consider the enormous BENEFITS of actually having electricity? Like fewer house fires, and thus fewer deaths, due to less use of wood stoves and candles? Oh, but I suppose we could just rely on nuclear – if not for people much like yourself irrationally screaming about the dangers of nukes.

Cancer from fast food? Really? Did the notion of direct causality not enter your mind?

The plasticizer people conferred zero benefit to any part of the public. They merely lined their own pockets.

Really, unless your post was sarcasm, please don’t reproduce.

not shocked, not even a little. Only incredibly disappointed.

not shocked, not even a little. Only incredibly disappointed.[/quote]

Exactly, I am not shocked at all, but I am outraged. Apparently the particular chemical they used is so bad, it is completely totally banned from being used in Germany what so ever, ie its not even allowed to be used in plastic due to the health risks.

Maceck, you failed to take into account the aspects of endless counts of fraud, economic disruption caused, lost profits, environmental waste from having to destroy all the products, loss of trust in the food industry, and so on. Also, food safety is a vital concern for society, and lenient penalties make the situation worse. These sentences are obviously far too lenient. The fact that others have (unfortunately) gotten away with other behaviors leading to illness or death doesn’t change this.

Exactly. This behavior gone on long enough could have made the entire population of Taiwan infertile. i.e. No more children, ever! (And no I am not exaggerating, that is the main side effect)

ozsoapbox.com/taiwan/food/the-gr … of-taiwan/

The guy wrote a lot I just had a quick glance and read that in Vietnam they removed some Taiwanese products due to plasticizer contamination [quote]The products include Possmei’s tapioca pearls, Brand’s calcium and vitamin tablets, Heysong’s Fruit House orange juice, Uni-President’s Pro Sweat sport and asparagus drinks, TaiYen’s collagen powder, Taiwan Yes water and Bio Chain’s Power-Lac nutrition powder.[/quote] So are they save to consume or not?

I’ve read somewhere that the main plaintiffs got stiffer punishments … but not enough to my liking … a few weeks ago it’s in the TT …

The article I linked to explicitly states that some products recalled in other countries are not being recalled in Taiwan. Search “Macau”, there is a statement from the Taiwan government basically saying “We don’t trust tests that Macau does”

If in doubt, avoid. It’s not like any of those are must-have items, anyway. :2cents:

I was trying to bring this thread back down to earth. So far, it seems this has just simply been a ‘blowing off steam’ kind of place.

I’m from America, a place that claims to have the best legal system in the world. So far, in my short life, i have almost seen it all; from OJ, Michael Jackson and Casey Anthony, to Jeff Skilling, Barry bonds and… OJ again!

But, I am not in my home country of the USA, and I do not have any control over the legal system of Taiwan. All I can do is look at the charges, assume the government has a decent case and that the defendant(s) have good lawyers. 2 years is a long sentence for white collar crime.

Some in this thread have strongly insinuated that these defendants receive a ‘Chinese execution’; a sad reality across the strait where capital punishment is issued to non-capital offenders.

In fact, if you want to look at the international ramifications of this case, an issued penalty on par with the mainland would only scar Taiwan’s identity as a first world independent Asian democracy. (They’re still recovering from the Chiang Kuo-ching disaster from earlier this year.)

The reality is that the health effects from these plasticizers is still unknown, a fact that I’m sure strongly inhibited the prosecutions case for stiff punishment.

Lesson: If this thread is simply a venting ground for (understandable) outrage, then it is what it is, otherwise, I think a lot of smart and reasonable people here need to get a hold of their emotions and honestly ask themselves “What is an appropriate punishment for this crime?”

2 years is a long time for a white collar citizen; devastating really.

The society, economy and culture we live in pushes people to make decisions related to making (or not making) money. Sometimes money and circumstance draws reasonable and good people into activities that they otherwise would never have dealt with. This is why the legal system can seem so frustrating from the outside looking in: life is not transparent and a lot goes into verdicts and sentencing.

If you are ‘disappointed’, well…if the cave man wasn’t disappointed with his cold diner he never would have invented fire! Disappointment is constant in humanity, and in fact, it is the driving force for inovation and progress.

Too much disappointment is known as clinical depression, and too little means your Prozac dosage is too high. For me, I have processed the 2 year sentence given to this bloke and said "I am not disappointed’. In my world, this result does not make my list of disappointments.

From the sounds of it, I should probably excuse myself from this thread pronto.

it is what it is, cant change the past. Sure i get that and understand that. I don’t dwell on it, but thats not to say people shouldn’t fight to try and make things better for future situations. I am generally not a fan of jail, or the system surrounding it. I think in a case like this stripping the people literally of all finances and assets, i mean all, and allowing them one small house to start anew would be nice. 2 years in prison. This teaches us that if we cough up a couple years we can sell away anything we want. Its a bad message.

Greedy people with little to no respect for others understand money, and not much else. So then where better to hit them?

Im not losing any sleep over it and im not depressed over it. I have simply decided not to give these people my business anymore. not much else I can do easily.