Fish in a Can?

紅鷹牌 is the one. Anything else is random.

1 Like

Some have MSG. I only consume the ones made in Japan. Or Filipinas.

Eel is actually commercially grown here. Takeshi’s father introduced the technique in Taiwan.

秋刀魚 or Pike Mackrel or SABA (Japanese but seen in NZ and California) is healthy (but… depends what you cook it with). Love that in Taiwan its so cheap (I guess is not as popular as other fish). In Japan, price this going up due to decline in numbers. Pacific Saury: Overfishing and Environmental Change Puts Future of Japanese Autumn Delicacy in Doubt | Nippon.com

I like this fresh though not in a can. For canned I love Anchovy in the can, but the salt is high. (I like with Pasta and oil, not on a Pizza).

1 Like

Eel is[quote=“Icon, post:22, topic:178853, full:true”]
Some have MSG. I only consume the ones made in Japan. Or Filipinas.

Eel is actually commercially grown here. Takeshi’s father introduced the technique in Taiwan.
[/quote]

Eel is farmed, but baby ones are taken from open sea then raised in the farm,thus the decline in stocks. So I limit what I eat now even though I love it. So far no way get them to breed in farms so all young taken from the wild.

Eel research is fascinating. Just discovering how and where they mate is a whole story in itself.

Voracious eaters. They once put 3000 in a tank to observe them and eventually ended up with just one because they all ate each other with one left.

I listen to a podcast about it recently and it’s one of the few podcast I want to listen to again.

Yes, quite interesting. Something we do not know much about.

Roasted Eel you might wanna try this one Braised Eel?

Uploading: D4A01621-01CF-4016-A252-57662BE56518.png… Uploading: 5B06FCD7-6896-4C7B-9B71-6636E7582B19.png… [quote=“lostinasia, post:18, topic:178853, full:true”]

Fish sticks are up there with pizza pockets as one of those foods I loved as a kid, and once a decade or so I’ll try them again for nostalgia, and nope, they’re awful.

Tuna here: does anyone recommend particular brands? I tend to buy ones with Japanese on the packaging, based mainly on a vague sense that I’d trust a Japanese brand more than a Taiwanese one.
[/quote]

Hi you might want to try this Tuna Slice quite okay.

How much do you pay for both Sardines and Anchovies here (lowest I find is at Carefor NT$69 for their own brand Sardines) here in Taiwan. In the States I found some Costco’s have Anchovies which is good deal but do not see them in Taiwan or Aussie Costco. I wonder do they have fresh Anchovies here?

Basically I buy the stuff in carrefour or in shinkong supermarket. Carrefour is reasonable anyway.

1 Like