Fishing and The Great Outdoors

How many of ya’ll miss the time where you and your boys make plans to boot it out of dodge and go up North. THE fishin trip. Ya’ll dunno where you’re goin but you do know that you’re headed up to a lake where no one is around nor has anyone been 'round for months or ever! Silence.

I miss this shit. I miss makin plans like these that are made outta the blue. Ya just need to know that you need an ‘O’ and a 24. That you’ll be gone for the weekend and that you’ll need from 8 pm sunday 'till 8 am monday to sleep it off.

I miss the silence of the outdoors. The conversation that fishing or hunting brings with good company. The good food and the debauchery that belong in a weekend that doesn’t need a reminder.

FUCK…I miss Ontario.

I will resist the temptation to make any Brokeback Mountain jokes.

I used to go fishing a couple of hours up north of Sudbury… up past the nickle mines… beautiful quiet… just moose wading, loons calling and fish jumping. And beer.

I used to love taking road trips when I was a kid… usually, though, my destination was as important as the journey, as I was usually off following the Dead around. Nothing like the freedom of the open road with your hippy girlfriend sitting next to you with her bare feet up on the dash… those days were lots of fun.

Miss 'em.

As long as she had her hair and hygiene in order. I dunno, for me those rosey days are blurred with malodorous and bushy memories.

HG

Dude , I can’t begin to tell you how much time i spent in the mountains of BC or the gulf Islands.

Sometimes we would just get a topo map some food and fuck off into the wilderness for a 4 days with nothing in mind but adventure and solitude.

Yea man I miss that too :frowning:

However I am going to Borneo in 5 days for some treking and exploring. I hope that fills the void.

Six Months ago I went to the Lao Thai border and wondered around for 14 days from village to Khmere ruins, that worked wonders.

[quote=“Tigerman”]I used to go fishing a couple of hours up north of Sudbury… up past the nickle mines… beautiful quiet… just moose wading, loons calling and fish jumping. And beer.

I used to love taking road trips when I was a kid… usually, though, my destination was as important as the journey, as I was usually off following the Dead around. Nothing like the freedom of the open road with your hippy girlfriend sitting next to you with her bare feet up on the dash… those days were lots of fun.

Miss 'em.[/quote]

Sounds like a Neil Young song. The one about Blind River.

I was laughing the other day with my gf about how we used to greet people with “Peace” instead of hello. Sounds funny now, but very cool at the time.

Ya. Hippy days. Great times.

sounds like the many camping and/or biking and/or fishing trips i have taken here… more silence than you can poke a stick at.

Yep…there it is…fishin’ with yer buds…

The thing I miss about such trips more than anything else is the beagle. Just watching the good time he was having gave me a tremendous amount of enjoyment.

Dat dere is whatsit all aboot, I tell ya.

Why is Monster talking like Detritus the troll?

I remember bundling a girlfriend into the truck and heading East from San Diego one time. She kept asking where we were going.

“Camping,” I kept saying, confident that we would find somewhere. But man was it hard for her. She’d never been anywhere without a plan.

We ended up in Anza Borego, a desert park with not a cloud in the starlit sky and no sign of human activity in any direction. Cold in the middle of winter, but no fire ban and swordfish steaks cooking over glowing coals. After that she wanted to do it every couple of weeks.

Camped with a British pal and his Japanese girlfriend in Australia this one time. She’d never camped before and was pretty intimidated by the idea. After a couple of days she had taken possession of the cooking fire and would sit for hours prodding at it and feeding it.

Pyrotherapy, I’m going to patent it and sell franchises.

Careful Loretta or you’ll meet my ‘Piecemaker’ ya limey cunt. :wink:

As long as she had her hair and hygiene in order. [/quote]

Ahhh… mmmmm… they were all clean, shaved and sweet-smelling… if you figure patchouli smells sweet… :slight_smile:

[quote=“The Grateful Dead in Sugar Magnolia”]
Sugar magnolia, blossoms blooming
heads all empty and I don’t care
Saw my baby down by the river
knew she’d have to come up soon for air.

Sweet blossom come on
under the willow
we can have high times if you’ll abide
We can discover the wonders of nature
rolling in the rushes down by the riverside.

She’s got everything delightful
she’s got everything I need
Takes the wheel when I’m seeing double
pays my ticket when I speed

She comes skimmin’ through rays of violet
she can wade in a drop of dew,
She don’t come and I don’t follow
waits backstage while I sing to you.

Well, she can dance a cajun rhythm
jump like a willy in four wheel drive.
She’s a summer love for spring, fall and winter
she can make happy any man alive.

Sugar magnolia, ringing that bluebell
All caught up in sunlight
come on out singing
I

I do, I really do. Gotta get me some patchouli. Not worn it in awhile.

An old hippy housemate of mine managed to betyray her liasons with not one but two married men by insisting on wearing patchouli.

HG

Wow…women, scented oils… didn’t take long for this thread to get all “Metro.”

Yeah! Bugger off all you pansy-assed Marlborough man wannabes! This is a real man’s thread! :fume:

Kinda belongs in the men’s forum, don’t ya think?

Staring for 6 hours too the water with no living soul around. Only the sound of nature broken by the splashing struggle of a fish caught . Damn… that has been at least 10 years ago. Damn good memories.
Hey, are we getting depressed as Moenson is coming or what!? :astonished:

Love hate relationship, not unlike chou dofu odor

The one thing that not many people can relate with is the call of loons in the morning or at dusk. Watching them take a dip and pop up hundreds of yards away, deer drinking at a clearing and that fog off the water in the morning.

Crickets, frogs and various other creepy crawlies, birds and the wind are the only things you could hear.

I don’t know about you guys but when I’ve been hiking in Taiwan (limited) I find that there isn’t a noise in the forest. Still. Like it’s dead. Perhaps I’m too loud or is it really that empty? I personally hate the fact that no matter where you go, you’re bound to run into someone.

Amen.

Night time in the wilderness! Oh man, the sounds that came out of the darkness, that thick inpenetrable darkness. The beagle would sit all night, just outside the door of the tent, listening to the sounds, occasionally tilting his head to one side or perking up his ears. :snoopy:

Sigh…