Fishing in taoyuan!

Hey Forumosans

I need to know if anyone know where to get a fishing rod and reel in Taoyuan county? I have been here just over a month and I’ve look but to no avail.

Please help me…

.[quote]

I would try either a department store, or one of those outdoor recreation type stores that are found in the strangest possible places.
Are you near Zhong-li or Taoyuan City?

There are a few fishing and hunting type stores around the place.

One that springs to mind is on Jing Guo Rd (the north/south road running right past the old Tesco, now Carre four, and Minsheng Hospital)
Just north of Carre Four is a Mcdonalds, and one hunting store is right over the road from McDs.
If you travel a bit further north, there is an outdoor store on the same side as McDs, called Formosan Black Bear. Try there too, and if no luck ask the staff. They are really helpful and a couple speak good english.

[quote=“Truant”]There are a few fishing and hunting type stores around the place.

One that springs to mind is on Jing Guo Rd (the north/south road running right past the old Tesco, now Carre four, and Minsheng Hospital)
Just north of Carre Four is a Mcdonalds, and one hunting store is right over the road from McDs.
If you travel a bit further north, there is an outdoor store on the same side as McDs, called Formosan Black Bear. Try there too, and if no luck ask the staff. They are really helpful and a couple speak good English.[/quote]

I am pretty sure I saw some rods and reels at the Carrefour in Taoyuan. I was there about a week ago. Although the selection didn’t look very impressive and looked to be geared towards smaller fish.

What and where are you fishing? :slight_smile:

Thanks Guys

Ya I have been to the black bear outdoor store. Although it is an amazing outdoor store it has no fishing equipment. I will check again at the carrefour but I was pretty sure I didn’t see any. I really have no idea what i am fishing for. I thought about going up river and trying to find a chill spot to get some casts in. I don’t even know if that is legal. Any insight on the legal matters of rec fishing?

I just want to see what they got in these waters.

p.s. Rain sucks

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there’s a moratorium on all river fishing, which is an attempt to allow fish stocks to regenerate. On paper at least, there are extremely heavy fines for fishing – up to NT$250,000 I believe. That said, I still see a good number of people fishing on the mountain rivers, so I’m not sure how heavily the ban is enforced.
I DO remember editing a news story a few weeks ago in which a policeman in Nantou County was fined a lot of money and lost his job for getting caught fishing illegally.

Have you considered sea fishing? There’s some good rock fishing to be had here. As for gear, don’t know about Taoyuan but where I live (on the way to Wulai) the main road out of Hsintian has many shops selling a dizzying array of equipment for catching everything from minnows to marlin.

One other thing if you have any fishing friends back in the old country is that many of these shops still sell traditional woven bamboo fish baskets, eel traps and suchlike. They’re very cheap, but the fishing folks back home tend to get a huge kick out of receiving them as gifts. Mine did, at least.

All around Taoyuan there are various fishing ponds.

Smallish muddy brown things that I would have never thought anything lived in until I watched a guy actually hauling fish in.
The other day I was out walking around the pond/lake next to the Chang Gang Hospital at linkou, and there were a number of guys fishing there too.

Out beside the coast near Dayuan and further along towards Bali, there is a whole bunch of bigger ponds that people fish in. And people also surf cast at the beach too. I have no idea what the fish would be like from any of those places.