Fishing the Danshui River

Well … about 2 months ago I posted here because I wanted some tips as I was going fishing. I didn’t get much back, but I’ve been going every weekend since then and loving it.

Even though the fish aren’t huge with my biggest catch being around 45cm, it’s great to be outdoors beside to the water. I’ve been fishing on the Bali (opp.to Danshui “City”) side of the river. There are quite a few spots and most of them are fairly crowded on the weekends. I usually park myself on a jetty near the big red bridge.

I caught some kind of eel / sea snake last Sunday. It was around 50cm and a visious little bugger. It had a “v” shaped head with big teeth. As soon as I had itoff the hook, it latched onto a nearby rope and wouldn’t let go.

Anyway I just thought I’d post this up here for other/future 'mosa anglers…

I wouldn’t eat them

If I had a choice, I wouldn’t eat most of the food that is commercially available … especially if I knew where it came from.

Definitely not edible, but it’s surprising how many fish are in the local rivers. Seems like every time I’ve walked or ridden beside the river I’ve seen them swimming or jumping. I’m guessing all the effluent (ie., shit) in the river provides them with lots of food.

You’re not guessing … in Sanxia, the fish are especially plentyfull around the sewer outlets … and that’s where people are going to fish … :s :noway:

Yes human shite is great fertilizer for plants.
Plants use it; thus more robust plant growth, and this affect goes right up the food chain.
It is all the artificial chemicals etc that are not taken out in the sewage treatment program and hang around in the water that you have to worry about. But like the other poster pointed out, eating factory farmed meat is risky. Unless you want free steroids of course !
Most plants also thrive well around cities with high CO2 output. They use the carbon dioxide for growth.

[quote=“teggs”]Well … about 2 months ago I posted here because I wanted some tips as I was going fishing. I didn’t get much back, but I’ve been going every weekend since then and loving it.

Even though the fish aren’t huge with my biggest catch being around 45cm, it’s great to be outdoors beside to the water. I’ve been fishing on the Bali (opp.to Danshui “City”) side of the river. There are quite a few spots and most of them are fairly crowded on the weekends. I usually park myself on a jetty near the big red bridge.

I caught some kind of eel / sea snake last Sunday. It was around 50cm and a visious little bugger. It had a “v” shaped head with big teeth. As soon as I had itoff the hook, it latched onto a nearby rope and wouldn’t let go.

Anyway I just thought I’d post this up here for other/future 'mosa anglers…[/quote]

WATCH OUT for sea snakes !!! They are deadly poisonous and there is NO antidote available for them !!!

Did you catch any three-headed fish, or any finless brown trout?

[quote=“teggs”] I usually park myself on a jetty near the big red bridge.

[/quote]

If you can spare another 25-30 minutes to ride go along that road toward Bali Township (past the big temple on the right) and keep going through the town (basically to the airport) - the houses will eventually disappear and you can pull up beside the ocean (not the river) - it has been a while since I took this road and I know they are remodelling that area but you should be able to spend the afternoon in relative peace and quiet.

I lived in Bali, and often took the road out to get away from the crowds around my house, and saw a number of a-gong (grandpas) fishing.

Enjoy - you may even be tempted to eat that fish out of the ocean.

L.

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“teggs”]

Anyway I just thought I’d post this up here for other/future 'mosa anglers…[/quote]

WATCH OUT for sea snakes !!! They are deadly poisonous and there is NO antidote available for them !!![/quote]

Teggs- Thanks. FWIW, I’ve fished Bitan and the Xindian River below Bitan and have nothing to show for it aside from ‘what’s that thing the stupid hwa yi is using?’ looks at my fly rod. The locals did better using various bait pastes. Mostly rinky herring looking things, a couple of tilapia and some goldfish. Bunch of guys netted a milkfish.

Tommy525 or anyone- Really, seasnakes around here?

seasnakes in taiwan are rare BUT THEY DO EXIST. Luckily they are rather tame. But if you encounter one, do NOT handle it. There is NO CURE for sea snake bite. There is NO anti venom for sea snakes.

i havent heard of anyone ever being bitten by one in Taiwan tho. So i dont think its a problem. But they do live in Taiwan waters. Iv seen em !

[quote=“teggs”]Well … about 2 months ago I posted here because I wanted some tips as I was going fishing. I didn’t get much back, but I’ve been going every weekend since then and loving it.

Hey teggs,

My biggest catch in Taiwan smack bang in the middle of Taipei City. http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc94/kamikaze272727/2007-10-21bighead73cm.jpg
73cm - I didn’t weigh it though, but it must have been close to 10kgs!

This is on a trout rod with a rubber worm. If you fish around Taipei you will recognize the background, if not PM me and I’ll give you directions.
I’ve been told its a “Da tou Lien” some sort of “Big headed - pon”. I’ve only ever caught two there, well three actually, 1. the link as above… um 2. another 73cm but much thinner, and the last one actually stripped my whole 150m of line before I could even see a single boil in the water.

I catch & release though, so the are all still out there. If you do the same, I’d be glad to show you the spot.

Fishing the Danshui river would make me think about toxic flounder or ‘mud’ eel …

Obviously, or you wouldn’t be around to talk about it. :slight_smile:

Obviously, or you wouldn’t be around to talk about it. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thats very sweet of you yes, but it was put there so I would not hook up with any models, I’m a non-model, we don’t associate with models.

Obviously, or you wouldn’t be around to talk about it. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thats very sweet of you yes, but it was put there so I would not hook up with any models, I’m a non-model, we don’t associate with models.[/quote]

Translation, anyone?

I am new to Taipei and I was wondering what is the best hook/bait or lure to use when fishing in Taipei City. I don’t care if I catch on of these:

JohnnyT - Big props for catching a Big Head (大頭連…well technically the 連 needs a fish radical, but I don’t know how to trick my computer into doing that) on a rubber worm. That’s really hard, they’re open-water plankton eaters.

ModestMouse - I had no luck pitching lures in Taiwan. I became friendly with one of the fishing store managers and he said I was probably wasting my time trying lures in Taipei, unless I wanted to get up extremely early in the morning and throw flies. I eventually got some worms, real ones, and went to Bihu up in Neihu and caught a few fish. Most people fish with either worms or various powder mix concoctions. A few use bunched seaweed. If you’re looking to catch snakeheads or largemouth bass you’ll need to go south. I do know of a pay-per-fish operation in Taipei County that has rainbow trout. It’s on the road towards Wulai or Pingling.

I hear the saltwater action isn’t bad, but never tried it.

Open water plankton eaters huh? tsk… see even that is news to me. The trout farm that you mentioned, how much is it to fish there, I wouldn’t mind trying that out.

I’ve been to Jinlong hu in Hsi-Zu because I heard that there was occasional bass there. I’m still to catch my first bass in Taiwan. I’ll go again this week-end. Must take insect repellent. Nasty little black insects on the far bank. Its no wonder there are so many spots open there.

Saltwater action good? Off a boat? or off shores?

I’m curious. Everywhere I go I see signs forbidding fishing on rivers.