Fishing the rivers around Taipei

As a blanket statement, that’s somewhat misinformed. There are many species of game fish in Taiwan’s rivers and tidal estuaries–indo-Pacific tarpon, snakehead, barramundi, catfish, carp–that can be caught without breaking the law or putting pressure on endangered or threatened species. That’s not taking into account the non-threatened saltwater game fish. Local sport anglers are becoming more informed about sustainable fishing practices such as catch and release, so it’s not all doom and gloom when it comes to river fishing in Taiwan. If you don’t want to take a chance on a river or stream, try one of the many largemouth bass ponds that have opened in the last few years.

Well, like a lot of things in Taiwan, the EPA is only there for face value. It exists so that local dignitaries can walk foreign dignitaries past the EPA building and say “this is our environmental protection agency”, and everyone can be suitably impressed. Apart from that, it doesn’t really have any function.

As a blanket statement, that’s somewhat misinformed. There are many species of game fish in Taiwan’s rivers and tidal estuaries–indo-Pacific tarpon, snakehead, barramundi, catfish, carp–that can be caught without breaking the law or putting pressure on endangered or threatened species. That’s not taking into account the non-threatened saltwater game fish. Local sport anglers are becoming more informed about sustainable fishing practices such as catch and release, so it’s not all doom and gloom when it comes to river fishing in Taiwan. If you don’t want to take a chance on a river or stream, try one of the many largemouth bass ponds that have opened in the last few years.[/quote]

You lost me on the last part. In an argument for the existence of sustainable fishing on Taiwan please don’t mention farms that have introduced aggressive foreign species to the island.

I get the point you are making but it sounds like wishful thinking. When I see fisherman not habitually littering or engaged in other assholish behavior I will believe they are learning to fish sustainably.

I am heading to Taiwan this winter to visit mt Girlfriend are there any places near Taipei to catch some nice Rainbows I caught some in Korea before and got hooked on that tasty fish.

No

Damn. >"< where would I have to go? My gf is not much into angling but when were eating trout in Korea she said they have Rainbows in Taiwan.

Just learned they Have red’s in Taiwan wow. Being from Florida they are one of the premier game fish. Nothing like landing a bull red.

[quote=“AdeptusAstartes”]Damn. >"< where would I have to go? My gf is not much into angling but when were eating trout in Korea she said they have Rainbows in Taiwan.

Just learned they Have red’s in Taiwan wow. Being from Florida they are one of the premier game fish. Nothing like landing a bull red.[/quote]

Sorry, I meant you’re probably not going to find them in the rivers around Taipei City. Evidently, there are rainbows in the hills in some places. There’s a hatchery in Wulai, Taipei County that hatch trout (Fushan Rainbow Trout Hatchery and Hobby Farm). How many they release or if it’s good fishing around there is another question. Wulai is easy to get to from Taipei by bus, but it might not be easy to find good trout fishing spots without your own transportation. It’s probably going to take a bit of detective work to find specific places good for trout fishing. Maybe check with some of the bait shops here, or have your gf check some info online on Taiwanese sites?

Thanks. I appreciate it alot. Yeah i should ask my girlfriend, kind of wanted to impress her with some local knowledge of the area.

The red drum are not actually native to Taiwan. What “wild” red drum you will find in local waters are the result of farmed fish being purchased in bulk by Buddhist organizations and “freed” by members who believe they are getting an easy karmic boost. Most are caught around Keelung Harbor and in the canal that runs through the middle of the city. You can also catch juvenile tarpon in the same spot.

Well, like a lot of things in Taiwan, the EPA is only there for face value. It exists so that local dignitaries can walk foreign dignitaries past the EPA building and say “this is our environmental protection agency”, and everyone can be suitably impressed. Apart from that, it doesn’t really have any function.[/quote]

It’s refreshing to find one’s opinion and observation about Taiwan are shared by others and, therefore, less likely to be consequences of a paranoid attitude. :slight_smile:

The red drum are not actually native to Taiwan. What “wild” red drum you will find in local waters are the result of farmed fish being purchased in bulk by Buddhist organizations and “freed” by members who believe they are getting an easy karmic boost. Most are caught around Keelung (Jilong) Harbor and in the canal that runs through the middle of the city. You can also catch juvenile tarpon in the same spot.[/quote]

I figured as much. I know they have reds for sale at the fish markets in Korea. I was kind of amazed since in Florida commercial harvest is prohibited and you can only posses two reds between 18-27 inches and the ones you could see in the tanks were well into the 32 inch plus range (it used to be one until February of this year.) Personally I did not even know that Red’s were a good candidate for aquaculture.

I hope that the introduction of reds in Taiwan does not affect the ecosystem like the introduction of bass and blue gill affected the rivers of Korea.

still in taipei?

A new video of Fishing in Taipei filmed by National Geographic. I sometimes go fishing at Dahu Park, which is also a nice place in Taipei city to fish.