Fitness accessory deathmatch: Nike, Jawbone, Fitbit, Garmin ...?

I bought the Jawbone One from a shop in Nova. I’ve also seen it in the Data Express / iStore Apple stores.

I haven’t been impressed with it though. I don’t like the UI of the app and I don’t like having to manually sync it to my phone each time. Might try the FitBit version next as I do a lot of stair climbing.

Has anybody seen the new Fitbit Force available for sale in Taiwan?

[quote=“Adam_CLO”]I bought the Jawbone One from a shop in Nova. I’ve also seen it in the Data Express / iStore Apple stores.

I haven’t been impressed with it though. I don’t like the UI of the app and I don’t like having to manually sync it to my phone each time. Might try the FitBit version next as I do a lot of stair climbing.[/quote]

I think the Up has been pretty good. That Force looks pretty awesome. Please let us know how it is if you get your hands on one.

I have seen the jawbone up on sale now, right after I ordered the flex on Amazon

Jawbone now has a new version called the UP24 with wireless syncing and additional features. The software for the old UP has also been improved. Getting better.

Have any of you guys heard much about the Armour39 from Under Armour. I really want one, they look sweet as. And Under Armour is a pretty great brand too.

youtube.com/watch?v=5jMJ-ECfq9I

[quote=“Staceycolleena”]Have any of you guys heard much about the Armour39 from Under Armour. I really want one, they look sweet as. And Under Armour is a pretty great brand too.

youtube.com/watch?v=5jMJ-ECfq9I[/quote]

Shit, I don’t need a device telling my willpower is negative 14.

[quote=“kaikai34”][quote=“Staceycolleena”]Have any of you guys heard much about the Armour39 from Under Armour. I really want one, they look sweet as. And Under Armour is a pretty great brand too.

youtube.com/watch?v=5jMJ-ECfq9I[/quote]

Shit, I don’t need a device telling my willpower is negative 14.[/quote]

Yeah my thighs tell me that for me. But it’s still pretty cool technology.

I’ve got a little tip for the fitbit users after losing mine so many times.

I put it on a little necklace I picked up. It’s just a basic dog tag chain that will withstand the sweat my workouts generate. This has saved me so much hassle in looking for it or losing it in my pockets, etc.

We’re selling Jawbone (Not the latest one) for approximately [strike]5K[/strike] if anyone is interested.

EDIT: 4,560 NT$

I’m gonna get my fitbit flex in February… I was thinking Jawbone UP but… more expensive (I can get fitbit for 2200 TWD) and some reviews say that as a wristband is a little big/uncomfy at times, and some people get a lot of quality issues, and the warranty wouldn’t probably work great in Taiwan.

So, can you share how you use your bands? What functions do you find the best? Other than sleep tracking and step counting? (I use “Sleep Time” app on iphone now, seems pretty good, a Argus app for step count; but iphone battery is not very good…)

[quote=“mukashi”]I’m gonna get my fitbit flex in February… I was thinking Jawbone UP but… more expensive (I can get fitbit for 2200 TWD) and some reviews say that as a wristband is a little big/uncomfy at times, and some people get a lot of quality issues, and the warranty wouldn’t probably work great in Taiwan.

So, can you share how you use your bands? What functions do you find the best? Other than sleep tracking and step counting? (I use “Sleep Time” app on iphone now, seems pretty good, a Argus app for step count; but iphone battery is not very good…)[/quote]

I’ve been looking into fitness bands with a view to getting one, and reading this thread, but the only tracker I’ve seen anywhere in Taipei so far is the Jawbone UP in a shop in Nova, for more than five thousand dollars, which is a tad expensive for my tastes. I haven’t seen them in some of the other shops mentioned in this thread, particularly the Fitbit Flex, which is the one that interests me the most at the moment. As of April, has anyone seen the Fitbit for sale anywhere here?

My up (which I had since 2013 and was already replaced twice at no cost*) started having issues about a year and a half ago so I sorta gave up and couldn’t scrape together the big chunk o’ change to buy something different. Then there was a deal last week for fitbits that slashed like $30 off retail, so I finally bit and went for it. Got myself one of these puppies:

Already I’ve noticed the new fitbit app has improved exponentially from its 2013 incarnation. Also, I’m really digging the wireless sync and heart rate monitor that my previous up band didn’t have. We’ll see how it does.

*Say what you will about their fitness bands, I can tell you from experience that Jawbone has outstanding customer care

I have a Fitbit one and I sometimes have issues with remembering which pair of pants I attached it to. However, on some days, I completely forget that I had already attached the unit to my pant pocket…muscle memory I guess?

There’s one thing that my Fitbit one lacks that makes me want to upgrade, wrist band action. It comes with lycra-ish band (that’s more like a sweatband than a wristband) in which you can put the unit in, but I’ve had a few issues with it falling out. HR would be nice, but not necessary, but I really want a sleep tracker.

I prefer Fitbit’s app most due to the popularity amongst friends and competing against them is always very enjoyable. Unfortunately, Fitbit isn’t sold in Taiwan. So I’m thinking about buying a Garmin Vivofit. However, from the research I’ve done, info uploaded to the Garmin Connect app cannot be synced to the Fitibit app.

My questions are:

1. Can anyone confirm Garmin connect app does not sync with the Fitbit app?
  2. I’m not particularly used to wearing anything on my wrists when I go to sleep, I tried using the wristband that comes with my one, but it got really annoying because it was a little bulky. Did anyone have issues sleeping after starting to wear fitness trackers?

Bit of a grave dig: any recommendations for fitness trackers these days? What I’d like to use it for: tracking steps and stairs; keeping an eye on my heart rate (with main goal of trying to push myself when cycling); sleep monitoring, because why not. I don’t need GPS on the device because any time I’d want that I’d also have my phone with me anyway. I’ve got an iPhone and already use Strava (the free level) for cycling.

It’d be really nice to get one that’s also good for swimming, but I recognize that that’s unlikely - there are ones that can track laps, but nothing worn on the wrist seems to reliably monitor heart rate while swimming.

This definitely suits all your needs

https://www.fitbit.com/ace

:wink:

In all seriousness, I know you said you don’t want GPS, but I think that’s the line. If you want all your other features, you get GPS, if you don’t want GPS, you don’t get your other features.

Ones I know of don’t check all your requirements, but you could consider looking at these:

https://www.fitbit.com/versa

One thing Fitbit has that Garmin doesn’t is sleep tracking, BUT I don’t know if it’s compatible with Strava, but I heard good things about the Versa.

A friend uses this one:

This would be the watch I would buy too. It’s priced ok and it does what I need.

1 Like

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 that fits your bill, and can connect with your bike sensors if you have them or plan to. Have GPS. Can use the NFC as an iPass for MRT also. It’s a bit expensive though.

And the name is stupid, like @IbisWtf’s laptop.

1 Like

images%20(3)

Thanks for the suggestions. One worry for me is reliability: a lot of Amazon reviews talk about these things breaking after a few months. Which makes me think buying from a shop in Taiwan would be better than my usual approach of getting things shipped from the US. Does anyone have experience with getting repairs or replacements done in Taiwan?

Smartwatches vs fitness trackers: the smart watches usually do have more fitness functions (the latest Apple Watch is apparently fairly good for swimming), but I’d also be paying for a bunch more features that I just don’t care about - notifications, GPS, music playback, contactless payment, and so on. If I were a jogger the smartwatches would definitely be more appealing.

Plus I suspect the smartwatches are big enough that I’d never wear them through the night, whereas I would wear the lighter fitness trackers. (Maybe. I haven’t even worn a watch in a decade.)