Fitness Centres in Taiwan

[quote=“deviljin”]Yeah, it’s a pain in the butt and can sap all the energy and hype out of your workouts due to needing to watch how much noise you are making

Check out this vid:

youtube.com/watch?v=CoW0kuuIyOA

Anyone know where this gym’s at? This is exactly the kind of gym I’m looking for with heavy-duty squat rack and equipment and no rules on clanking and making noise…I wasn’t even close to being this loud and got called out wtf[/quote]

Nope. But the second guy’s deadlift made me cringe.

[quote=“deviljin”]I’m looking for a hardcore gym near Yonghe. Any suggestions?

This means they let you grunt and drop heavy weights to the floor and encourage hardcore training.

I’m currently trying out True Fitness in Guting, but they have a problem with the weights dropping to the floor and making noise. This is unavoidable on heavy lifts such as deadlifts and power cleans and I’m worried they won’t even let me do T-bar rows in the corner cause it might damage their facility or make too much noise.

Anyone who’s a serious weight lifter knows this is really annoying and it can be dangerous to slowly place heavy weight to the floor just cause “it makes too much noise”.

Anyone knows if World Gym has this stupid noise policy too? Or any other gyms for that matter? Thx[/quote]

World Gym’s have the noise policy as well. Taipei Jian Kang Yuan 台北健康院 taipeigym.com.tw/ all allow the loud noise and most have serious powelifters like yourself. Although the crossfit needs a little more room for throwing tires or swinging sledgehammers their facilities won’t be able to handle that. Loud Deadlift, Loud Clean and Jerk, throwing of weights, dropping of dumbells etc I have witnessed at that location as I was a member before our club had grand openend.

I know our gyms are more mainstream and for people like yourself it may be frustrating. I personally apologize for that. My highschool and college had the rubber coated weights just for this and we loved it. I have not seen them here. Good luck, I hope this helps out! Good Luck.

[quote=“jinjunwei”][quote=“deviljin”]Yeah, it’s a pain in the butt and can sap all the energy and hype out of your workouts due to needing to watch how much noise you are making

Check out this vid:

Anyone know where this gym’s at? This is exactly the kind of gym I’m looking for with heavy-duty squat rack and equipment and no rules on clanking and making noise…I wasn’t even close to being this loud and got called out wtf[/quote]

Nope. But the second guy’s deadlift made me cringe.[/quote]

Both were straight legged deadlift with a huge rounded back. I was waiting to see if I could hear discs popping like it was chinese new year! Even the leg curls were leg throwbacks… anyway that is a Taipei Gym location. Not sure which one. There are 5-6. I posted the website. Good luck.

[quote=“The Daily Drucker”][quote=“jinjunwei”][quote=“deviljin”]Yeah, it’s a pain in the butt and can sap all the energy and hype out of your workouts due to needing to watch how much noise you are making

Check out this vid:

Nope. But the second guy’s deadlift made me cringe.[/quote]

Both were straight legged deadlift with a huge rounded back. I was waiting to see if I could hear discs popping like it was chinese new year! Even the leg curls were leg throwbacks… anyway that is a Taipei Gym location. Not sure which one. There are 5-6. I posted the website. Good luck.[/quote]

The first guy’s first dl was bad, but after that he kept his chest and head up and things looked a better. The second guy looked terrible on every one.

[quote=“The Daily Drucker”]

World Gym’s have the noise policy as well. Taipei Jiankang Yuan 台北健康院 taipeigym.com.tw/ all allow the loud noise and most have serious powelifters like yourself. Although the crossfit needs a little more room for throwing tires or swinging sledgehammers their facilities won’t be able to handle that. Loud Deadlift, Loud Clean and Jerk, throwing of weights, dropping of dumbells etc I have witnessed at that location as I was a member before our club had grand openend.

I know our gyms are more mainstream and for people like yourself it may be frustrating. I personally apologize for that. My highschool and college had the rubber coated weights just for this and we loved it. I have not seen them here. Good luck, I hope this helps out! Good Luck.[/quote]

just to clear up any confusion, all of the movements in crossfit are designed to be mimic real world movements. While some boxes do have things like tires filled with cement and sledge hammers, those are not customary. Crossfit combines olympic lifts clean & jerk, squats (oh, front, back), snatch with body weight movements (pushups, running, etc) with some gymnastics (ring dips, handstand pushups, etc). All this can be summarized in 3 points: constantly varied, high intensity, and functional.

I’m gonna assume that world gym and the others have those no noise policies because most of their clientele are not that serious about fitness and would get scared away by someone really working. I think it is great for anyone to do any exercise (compared to nothing) but truth be told: if you can read a magazine while doing it, you are not doing enough work. But hey, those guys are trying to run a successful business and there are a lot more non-serious people out there than serious ones. It is a business decision and nothing more.

I too am looking for a place to workout, crossfit as well.

Just got here today. In the Chung San area.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lmgtfy: tms.gov.tw/2008/english/jssc.asp

[quote=“ushneb”]I too am looking for a place to workout, crossfit as well.

Just got here today. In the Zhongshan area.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk[/quote]

There are a few of us (and a bunch of beginners) that workout together at the Taida gym. The current time is m-w-f 12-2ish. You are welcome to join us.

[quote=“jinjunwei”][quote=“ushneb”]I too am looking for a place to workout, crossfit as well.

Just got here today. In the Zhongshan area.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk[/quote]

There are a few of us (and a bunch of beginners) that workout together at the Tai-Da gym. The current time is m-w-f 12-2ish. You are welcome to join us.[/quote]

Thank you. I will be in town for the next couple of weeks. I’ll see if I can swing by and join guys one of these days.

I’ve been here since yesterday and I already know I’m gonna be gaining a bunch of weight already. Happens every year. Lol

Crossfit is definitely for elite fitness for sure. The first time I saw it was when 300 came out around that time. It was very impressive. :bravo: I think it does have a calling here. Here is a video that was sent to me to promo the program from You tube. Notice, no one is reading a magazine. :wink: It’s definitely explosive. I would like to come to the class and bring some people but M-F I am working 12-2. Is there any weekend times available??
youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXG … r2-2r-4-HM

[quote=“The Daily Drucker”]Crossfit is definitely for elite fitness for sure. The first time I saw it was when 300 came out around that time. It was very impressive. :bravo: I think it does have a calling here. Here is a video that was sent to me to promo the program from You tube. Notice, no one is reading a magazine. :wink: It’s definitely explosive. I would like to come to the class and bring some people but M-F I am working 12-2. Is there any weekend times available??
youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXG … r2-2r-4-HM[/quote]

Crossfit looks extreme but it actually isn’t that bad. Well, depending on your current conditioning, getting into crossfit may not be much of a stretch.

Not saying it’s a cakewalk, there are certain wod’s I can’t even try. Lol

I will definitely try to make it over there on one of those days.

[quote=“The Daily Drucker”]Crossfit is definitely for elite fitness for sure. The first time I saw it was when 300 came out around that time. It was very impressive. :bravo: I think it does have a calling here. Here is a video that was sent to me to promo the program from You tube. Notice, no one is reading a magazine. :wink: It’s definitely explosive. I would like to come to the class and bring some people but M-F I am working 12-2. Is there any weekend times available??
youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXG … r2-2r-4-HM[/quote]

Actually, I don’t know if i’d say it is for elite fitness, but, rather the pursuit of it. I know some people may never be able to do a full crossfit workout rx, but, they come and give it their all each time. I myself have been doing it for about 2 years now and there still some workouts I can’t do rx. It really is a humbling program.

We currently meet m-w-f around 12ish but this is pretty unoffical. I usually stick to those times since I do running on the off days. The other crossfit guy (Alex) who has actually been in Taiwan longer and more of a fire breather than me does go in to workout on weekends sometimes. On a side note, the two of us have been looking for a more suitable place to call home (workout ourself and also train others). Not sure if this is something you are interested in. Feel free to pm me if you’d like to talk more.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I am now interested in the Tai-Da gym. Does anyone know how busy it is during peak hours once school starts up again? I checked it out the other day and the atmosphere suits my tastes much better. Also, what are your experiences like in working out at Tai-Da gym? They have any noise policy or other irritating policies that might distract from a good workout? I noticed they only have one squat rack…so is that and the weight section really busy during peak hours? People won’t have a problem with working in during sets like in the US, right?

I’m also prob. gonna check out the Taipei Gym as that looks really promising too. Oh, yeah don’t mind the form in that video since I know it’s not proper. I just wanted to post an example of a gym that doesn’t care about noise, much less the shirtless thing.

Any gym recommendations in the LiuJonLi MRT or Xinyi/Jilong area? Or Dunhua South Rd? I’d like to stay away from the World Gyms if I can help it but if not, well, beggars can’t be choosers. :bow:

[quote=“deviljin”]Thanks for all the feedback.

I am now interested in the Tai-Da gym. Does anyone know how busy it is during peak hours once school starts up again? I checked it out the other day and the atmosphere suits my tastes much better. Also, what are your experiences like in working out at Tai-Da gym? They have any noise policy or other irritating policies that might distract from a good workout? I noticed they only have one squat rack…so is that and the weight section really busy during peak hours? People won’t have a problem with working in during sets like in the US, right?

I’m also prob. gonna check out the Taipei Gym as that looks really promising too. Oh, yeah don’t mind the form in that video since I know it’s not proper. I just wanted to post an example of a gym that doesn’t care about noise, much less the shirtless thing.[/quote]

My crossfit buddies and I have mixed feelings about the Tai-da gym. On the plus side, they have lots of bumbells, 2 olympic bars, 3-4 1/2 bars (30lbs), 1 squat cage, a pullup bar, 1 ghd situp apparatus, and a few other things that are of use. We get a lot of use out of the 3 c2 rowers as well. As far as dropping weights, well, they do complain about it, but seem to have accepted that a little droppage is unavoidable. I have befriended 1 of the guys that works at the desk and he doesn’t give us any issues anymore. In general, dropping from the knees seems to be ok. From the thighs is ok too so long as you keep your hands on the bar. All this said, Alex and I get in some pretty hard core workouts each week. rows and thrusters, pullups and squats, etc. We even bring in our rings and hang them up on the pullup bar for dips.

It goes get a bit crowded during peak time but the locals just stick to bench press and the machines. There is usually 1 free bar available. Feel free to pm me if you have additional questions.

how much does the Tai-Da gym cost? and where is it located?

5K NT for 6 months or 9K for a year. Price is 1/10th that if you have a student ID. It is on the corner of Xin Hai & Xin Sheng Rd. It is a bit of a hike (15min walk or so) from the Gong guan MRT.

Thanks for the info…

anyone know how the gym facilities at the NTNU is? does it have lots of free weights and barbells and squat racks? and does it have many benches?
Is the NTNU gym even worth going to?

OK, so how is Taipei Xinyi Sports Center across from 101? Decent set of equipment? Reasonable price?

Overall the gym is good, cheap and convenient if you live in Xinyi. I used to go there until I outgrew the equipment. I still go there occasionally to swim.

They have a set of dumbbells and benches, but no power rack or bar. They only have a smith rack. It gets pretty crowded at night, so 7am is the best time to show up and get in a workout.

Worth trying out if you want to check it out. It’s only 50NT per 1 hour session.