Fitness Centres in Taiwan

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“M0NSTER”][quote]She now is just paying about NT2200 monthly with no membership fees. Keep pushin.
[/quote]

And keep pushing below that 2200 figure. You could be paying 1800 if you know how to workem. Idiots. They play on people’s ego. The Gym is one big ego trip and pray on people who are very desperate. Trust me. I worked in one.[/quote]

Can you give some advise on working them more?[/quote]

Hold your credit card in your hand as you sit or stand in front of them. Make it seems like you are willin to pay and not cheap. Simply imply that you are confident that you can pay for it but not willing to get taken. Push for more features of the gym. If they stick to their guns then keep repeating “What do you have to offer me for that kind of money?” but all the while keep the face of someone who can pay. Not as someone who doesn’t have the cash or they will fuck right off on you. Be ‘buddy buddy’ with the guy. If you train and seem like you do strike up a convo in the middle of nowhere. Pray on THEIR ego. Turn the damn tables on these guys cause they are used to SOB’s comming in there and are desperate for a change. It’s an easy job cuz they just sit and feed on your desperation “Fork over the money fatboy”.

All in All I know people in Taipei that work for gym’s and Quanxi can be essential in gaining a cheap membership. One of my friends signed up for 10,000nt for one year without a hitch. It’s a joke. They have a quota but they can find loop holes easily. Afterall, what are you paying for?

You could even joke about how much money he makes on the commision. But lightly or he will turn stale on you.

[quote=“914”]I didn’t renew my membership last week because I can’t commit for that long, so I just bought month to month at $3000/month.

What do your gyms charge for month to month and is there an extra fee or two? They shouldn’t charge extra fees, let me tell you.[/quote] Those prices make me happy I don’t live in Taipei. I pay $NT90 a session now and I used to pay $1000 a month which included free yoga, step or aerobics classes. :raspberry:

However I’m sure if I paid more a month I’d spend more time in the gym and make more of an effort to get there.

does anybodyhave experience with ‘burn fun’ - next to carnegie’s? quite shabby, compared to other gyms rather empty, a lot of equipment, music too loud. I think it is cheap, I think a paid for 1 year 18 000 (we were two people signing in), a lot of additional facilities. a lot of bored staff. I like this place because I can can really work out, do not have to wait to use a device and nobody bothers me.

Joined California about a week ago and thought I’d update this thread. For background, I’m pretty hardcore about going to the gym, and am usually there about 6-7 days per week doing weights and cardio.

I’m staying in a hotel somewhat near Tapei main station while I look for an apt, so I walked into the CA gym there. The salesguy was named “Johnny,” and his english was fairly good. He wanted to take me on a tour of the gym, but I told him I had been in CA gyms before and just wanted to work out the details of membership (I hate going on gym tours). Johnny asked where, b/c he could waive the joining fee if I was in their computer system. I said it had been a while ago in Hong Kong (late 90s), and then 24-hour fitness in the U.S… However, I had been in Portugal for the last two years (different gyms there) and so had no recent contact with CA and likely wasn’t in their system.

Johnny said no problem, he would waive the start up fee anyway. We ended up with a NT500 “processing fee,” which I probably could have gotten waived, and NT2000/month, with a one year contact. I didn’t bother to bargain at all. My overall feeling was that I was willing to spend US$60-70/month for a gym, especially since I was spending US$90/month in Portugal, so as long as CA came within that price range, I would be satisfied. Plus, Johnny wasn’t giving me the high-pressure pitch, which put me in a good mood.

I asked Johnny to mark my map with locations. He marked the one on Zhongxiao east, west (the one we were in), one near the Ximen subway stop, and one up in Tianmu. I think that was it…there might have been another one, but Johnny was a bit too worried about defacing my map and made really, really tiny Xs.

Johnny gave me a membership card immediately, and I’ve had no problem using it in the past week. So far, the staff seems friendly (people at the front desk and the towel people), and the instructors haven’t bothered me at all (although this could be b/c I work out with headphones on, which makes me less approachable). My pet peeve about being in a gym is crowds/not waiting around for equipment, and there is enough of a selection of that I can usually find something open.

As others have mentioned, downside so far has been that the music is really, really loud. I usually listen to audiobooks or music when I work out, and I’ve almost given up b/c I’m worried about long-term damage to my ears…I’ve got to turn up the volume to the max on my mp3 player to hear anything. It’s especially bad when they have this live DJ guy in there. I’ve seen him twice so far (I think it was Thursday nights), and the music volume easily becomes twice as loud when he’s around.

Re sanitary conditions, my gym in Portugal was spotless…cleaning crews constantly moving through the place and doing a really good job. But then, that gym didn’t get the volume of people that CA does here. Overall, the men’s locker room main area isn’t that bad. However, the bathroom has a constant smell, and it always looks like a typhoon just hit …tons of water everywhere, on the sinks and the floor. I haven’t used the showers yet b/c I usually just walk back to the hotel and shower there. Once I move into a more permanent place, I’ll still probably try to avoid showering at the gym if I can make it home.

Leo0808

I’m thinking of checking out Alexander maybe next week. I have a pool in my apartment but it sure would be nice to go to the gym.

About the sound, I use noise isolating earphones; the type musicians use on stage. A bit expensive but it would definite help tune out the background.

I would like to shamelessly plug the Muscle Centre Gym right next to the Taipower Building MRT station at the end of Shi-Da rd. The owner A-Wen is one of the nicest guys I’ve met in Taiwan. He’s a great laugh, speaks English if that’s your thing and will help you out as much as you like. I find I get twice as much done in this place because the owner is always pushing me to do one more set and not just sit around chatting.

The gym itself is mainly a guys’ place so the focus is on free weights, chest machines etc. It’s not some huge sparkling California Fitness complex but does anyone actually get any serious training done in that kind of place? None of the guys are assholes or show-offs and there’s a great friendly atmosphere.

I pay NT$3500 for 3 months. Cheaper than the big gyms and worth every bit.

I guess I’ll input some info here since most of the gyms reviewed seem to Taipei based.

I’m in Taichung. I went to four different gyms of note. The first was Action Power and Fitness Center. It’s right off Zhong Ming Road. It’s a smaller gym, but the people were friendly and they offered me a fair starting price (about 13,500 for a year, but only since I was a “student”. Yay for keeping my uni ID!). The gym had decent equipment (decent freeweights and non-recumbent exercycles) and it seemed to be pretty empty (but I did go at an off hour). I had a sneaking suspicion that the place, assuming that its patronage did extend past the two people I saw working out there on the cardio machines, would get crowded fast during peak hours. Going off my memory, I don’t believe the free weight selection got particularly heavy either.

Second gym I took a look at was World Gym off of (Tai) Zhong Gang Road. It is pretty centrally located and it is like half a block from the biggest road in Taichung. It’s in a basement so there are no windows looking out. Seemed like a nice gym, but considerably more traffic in the place. Music was loud. Price was decent. They offered me 13,500 for a year membership as well. This was the first gym I noticed trainers in. The previous gym had trainers but none were flitting around the floor. Free weights were good, but I did not like the arrangement of the weights. They had some brand new Concept II ergs as well if anyone is interested in rowing and there was a three lane pool if you felt like paying extra. My quote was for the use of the shower facilities and main floor, but didn’t include the amenities like the pool or the steam room I think. I didn’t like the limits that my “basic” membership gave me but I sure am not willing to pay like 5,000 more just because I might use the pool. Furthermore, I heard from three different sources that once they got your membership fees, you were treated like month old shit. DO NOT EXPECT SERVICE PAST PAYMENT. Some people can deal with that (and even prefer), others can’t.

Next gym up was California Fitness, which was located near Ih Zhong Jie? I have no idea how to spell that or if I am even “saying” it correctly. The place is in a more upscale area with lots of shops. I did not like the place. The guy who I talked to was oily and I wanted to punch him in the face after 5 minutes. The place was more like a night club than a gym. Seriously! There were rooms for no other purpose but to sit in a circle and sip fruit smoothies. The weightroom was packed more with uniformed trainers than actual customers. There was enough neon there to do Vegas proud. The rep gave me an offer of about 14,000 if I didn’t come at peak times (meaning like I wasn’t allowed to come about 5 hours a day). It’s not so bad if you can stick to a schedule, but I often deviate from my daily schedule and didn’t want limitations to my gym routine.

The last place I went to was what someone told me was formerly a World Gym. It was located on the ninth floor of Taichung Central, a decently sized mall. It’s now called FitnessOne in English, but my friend told me that it was still called World Gym in Chinese. They even still have the World Gym locker tokens. In any case, they offered me 13,500 for the year, no limitations. They have a steam room, decent shower facilities and the toilets there have actual water pressure (I am EXCEEDINGLY frustrated with having to flush two or three times due to the low flow toilets here). The floor is pretty good, if you don’t mind being entertainment while you lift. It is somewhat aggravating that the freeweights floor is RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CARDIO AREA. Whoever designed the gym floor should be shot. Beaten near death and then shot in front of his/her children/nearest school-aged relative. Furthermore, they completely lack a decline bench. None of the benches will adjust and they have no decline machine. This may be a deal breaker for some. The staff seemed friendly and they were unobtrusive in manner and dress.

Anyway. I have classes to prep for. Please excuse the total lack of proofreading. Hope this helps someone.

Any chance someone could hook me up with Alexander? I was at Neo19 a few hours ago. The various people I talked to wouldn’t budge about offering me a month to month. One person said the main manager wasn’t there; she’d get back to me.

I wonder if anyone has been able to get good deals for month to month membership at any of the places we’re taking about?

After no luck with like 3 or 4 salespersons at Alexander. I just went for Gold’s. The guy there didn’t seems too negociable and I was just kinda tired of the game so I gave in. 2 months for 8000. ouch but ah well; I just wanted to start going more than anything else.

OUCH, that’s expensive… I hope place has gold plated cardio machines and a free massage after every workout.

OUCH, that’s expensive… I hope place has gold plated cardio machines and a free massage after every workout.[/quote]

yeah seriously. After talking with the guy I said no. But then I went outside, had a beer, and just said fuck it, I really really want to start going again–it’s been so many years-- so I just joined.

I’m happy with Gold’s. Tons of free weights, much more than the 2 Alexander’s in xinyi. I think I may only been in Taiwan for another 2 months so it’s cool. But I may have a new job opportunity that could be creative enough for me to want to stay a bit. we’ll see.

I was able to get a decent monthly deal at California (Ximending). I just finished a one-month trial membership that I got through a friend…I’m only going to be in Taiwan another two months so just wanted to sign for that time. At first they were reluctant but eventually they quoted me a price of $5880 for 2 months, which (per month) is only a little more than what my friend with a long-term membership is paying. I guess you’re locked in at Gold’s for now but it might be worth checking out in the future.

Center Gym, or Muscle Gym as you like, is cheap, more guys and fewer gays ogling you but that is because the place is too gross for girls or gay guys to go to. Nothing has been cleaned in 20 years. The carpet is a microbiologist’s dream come true. And the heat in the summer is such that most of your energy is spent battling the heat, not lifting. At the end of a workout you feel drained but from from heat exhaustion and not because you actually did a good workout. The owner, at 54, looks incredible. But he needs to do the absolute minimum to make the place clean.

I’m testing a “pay as you go” model from Kare Health Fitness. 25 visits for NTD 5,000. Includes pool, hot tub, sauna, lounge area (with wifi), study room etc. It recently renovated and looks good. Cybex equipment for the lifters. Good thing about this plan is that you can invite your friends along, very flexible. For the hardcore 3-4 times a week folks, their yearly plan is NTD 15,000. There’s a promo going on for NTD 13,100 at the moment.

I joined the California Fitness near Taipei station a few weeks ago. I’m totally loving it. The sales staff were really friendly and open to negotiating price. There was some pressure… They basically said join now or no discount. I joined on the spot and got an excellent deal. I did flirt with the sales guy… I attempted to tell him he was really handsome in broken Chinese. It seemed to work in my favor.

The people I dealt with spoke English really well and throughly explained the contract. You can use any of the locations, towel service, plus they give you 2 free personal training sessions (w/ platinum membership). The only downside so far… They don’t have a pool.

I generally go in the evening and can always find a free cross trainer. I have the same pet peeve that someone metioned earlier. I hate having to wait to use the equipment… No problems there.

The changeroom is HUGE and pretty clean. Tons of shower stalls, a steam room and a sauna. The women in the changeroom are really comfortable with nudity. Many of them stand in front of the mirror and blow dry their hair in the buff. It was a little surprising at first… But I’ve totally gotten used to it. It’s not really something I expected since women here tend to dress more conservatively.

So far no complaints. I <3 California Fitness. :yay:

Ya, I’m all out of shape now, so who am I to say, but, anyway…

California Gym in Taichung is awesome, I think. Personally, I need windows when I work out, and it’s got lots and lots of windows. Cardio equipment kicked the shit out of my heart last time I was on them (long ago…), and the weight room is plentiful.

And of course, lazy guys like me need a nice jacuzzi/steam room/shower after a work out, and they got the most gorgeous jacuzzi/steam room there. And the showers are gorgeous, too. Basically, it makes me feel like a million bucks, and the Taipei Californias pale in comparison.

Hey all,

I live in Neihu, so my colleagues found me a little place whose name sounds vaguely like “Beckham”, on Min Chuan east rd, just after the costco. It’s behind the Volvo shop and under a golf practice. Entrance is a little difficult to find for outsiders, 'cause you have to go through a Shabu shabu restaurant to get in.

But apart from that the place is a gem. Large swimming pool, awesome jacuzzi and steam room. In the sports room the music is neither too loud nor too distasteful, the equipment is brand new and the trainers helpful (albeit not english speaking at all). But most important of all, I’ve never been buggered at all there! That’s it, absolute quiet, anytime of the day, any day of the week as far as I know.

So my advice to all residents in neihu : don’t come, so I can continue to enjoy the quiet. :sunglasses:

You ask me last time for Career opportunity site, I finally find it, click here 82.146.41.31/

I joined California Fitness in TienMu. They finally, after much chatter, offered me 1600 per month, for a year. I accepted, and they then offered me a deal of 27 thousand to sign for two years. Thats a little over a grand a month. They wanted that in cash. I was happy to give it to them.

Taiwan government in recent years has backed its own erection of public health facilities. There are 2 or 3 in Taipei. There is a gym out over at Zhong Shan station if I remember correctly, and by MRT it has its own exit. It costs 50 NT an hour for the fitneess area. Facilities are okay I suppose, but equipment is a bit lacking to my tastes… I prefer more free weight exercises… but there are machines for weight lifting and cardio. You might find yourself playing the waiting game for the weights at times. But If you’re looking for someplace cheap, it might be worth checking out. It’s fairly clean. Here is a link to their website.

cyc.org.tw/cssc/index.htm

Hope it helps

As for those looking for a good free weights gym, I’ve heard there is a gym behind Tai da over at Gonguan. I haven’t had the chance to scope it out yet, but you can bench, squat, anything free weights there apparently… and at a good price.

If anyone has tried out the facilities at Carrefour’s Energym, they are new and nice, but incredibly expensive. Plus they lack free weights. I was given a free day trial, but the prices I was quoted were an initial 28000 NT sign up fee for a one time lifetime membership, plus another 3500 NT per month. No thank you.

If anyone has managed to find a good quality gym at 8000NT a year like I was used to paying in the States, please don’t hesitate to post… I’m sure a lot of us would like to know too :o