Fixed Income and Low Risk Investments

I’m looking to place a significant amount of cash in one or two year low-risk, cash investments such as bonds or CDs and have started researching the subject, but am a little confused and hope someone here knows something about the subject.

First our situation: my wife’s been doing a great job increasing our stash through buying and selling of Taiwan stocks, but her game has been very high risk, betting the whole pile on one or two companies (successfully). It’s been a good ride, but now it’s time to start seriously decreasing our risk. I realize everyone saving for retirement should have a diversified portfolio, with a significant portion (10%, 20%, etc. depending on age and risk aversion) in safe, fixed income investments such as bonds and that’s part of my motivation. Additionally, we intend to move to the States and buy a house in a couple of years, so we want to be certain we’ll have lots of cash then and won’t have to wait for a lousy market or investment to rebound.

Here’s what I’ve learned.

Bonds are instruments sold to raise money for a government or corporation. The safest bonds are issued by the US government. Treasury bills mature in one year or less. Treasury notes mature in 2, 3, 5 or 10 years. Treasury bonds have maturities of more than 10 years. One can buy treasuries (a) direct from the government at savingsbonds.gov/ or (b) individually through your broker or © in a bond fund. Instead of straight treasuries, one can buy bonds from federal government agencies, such as Fannie Mae or Ginnie Mae, which are also safe because they�re backed by the US government

Or one can buy state or municipal bonds, which are less safe (eg. Holders of Orange County, CA, municipal bonds lost out when the county went bankrupt) but the yield should be higher as compensation. Additionally, muni bonds are tax-free, which adds value to them if one is in a high tax bracket (but makes no difference if one lives in Taiwan and pays no US taxes). Finally, there are corporate bonds, which should have an even higher yield but correspondingly higher risk.

It’s hard to say whether its wiser to buy individual bonds or bond funds. The average bond fund charges about 1% annually in expenses (although Vanguard, not surprisingly, charges low expenses). But bond funds, like stock funds, are less volatile than individual bonds. Moreover, one is likely to incur a commission if one sells individual bonds before maturity (that’s why small investors in bonds should hold them to maturity.

Par value is the amount of money the investor receives when the bond matures, which is usually $1,000. Coupon rate is the interest one receives, which may be paid monthly, quarterly, annually, etc, according to the bond. Maturity date is when the bondholder is entitled to receive the full face amount of the bonds. Ordinarily one pays less than par value to purchase the bond, receives periodic interest payments, but can only redeem the bond for its par value at the maturity date. One can also sell the bond before the maturity date, but if people expect interest rates will rise you’ll get less than par value for the bonds; conversely, if people expect interest rates to fall (unlikely for the foreseeable future) you’ll get more than par value.

Not surprisingly, long-term treasuries usually pay a higher yield, or interest rate, than short-term treasuries. Oddly enough, though, that’s not always the case. One article I read, dated March 14, 2006, reported that the interest rate on 6-month treasuries (4.74%) was then higher than that on 30-year treasury bonds (4.66%). That’s called an inverted yield curve and is very strange. Apparently the reason for that is that the Fed Reserve sets short-term interest rates, but long-term rates are set by the market, and the two don’t always act the same way. The significance of an inverted yield curve is that cash is king and one should not put new money in bonds, as rates are expected to keep rising and value of existing bonds will therefore drop.

The above inverted yield curve doesn’t seem to be present any longer, but today’s NYT reported that Bonds Prices Fall on Robust Economic Data. According to that article treasuries are now paying the following rates:
30 yr bond: 5.24%
10 yr note: 5.15%
2 yr note: 4.94%
3 month bill: 4.82%

You can also see nice charts of treasury yields at this site:
flagship5.vanguard.com/VGApp/hnw … ketSummary

In light of falling bond yields, apparently CDs are a better place to invest cash today. Previously I just went down to Taipei (Fubon) Bank and bought a CD. But the rate wasn’t so great (4.5% on a 1 yr CD), so I want something better. I checked out the following page at Vanguard . . .
flagship2.vanguard.com/VGApp/hnw … skFrameset
. . . and see one can buy CDs from dead people and, for example, one can buy a CD with a maturity date of 5/7/07 (basically a 1 yr CD) that pays a 5% yield. Great. But how the hell does one make such a purchase? I assume one places an order with Vanguard at that page, but it appears to me the volume of such CDs is relatively miniscule compared to the volume of traffic at Vanguard�s site, so the good CDs would sell out immediately. What then? Do they buy something else roughly comparable for you?

Anyone have anything to add? For a 1 or 2 year fixed investment, CDs are probably as good as anything now, right? How do I buy a CD with the best rate?

1 Like

No one familiar with buying bonds?

No one knows how to buy a CD with the best rate?

:frowning:

MT

Nicely detailed summary of bonds, you have obviously done a fair bit of digging. I had some bonds in my pension funds for a while and recently took some advice as to whether I should re-look at them. The advice given to me was not to move out of equities as I still have 20 years+ until retirement. The funds that I used before were Euro and US$ denominated to diversify the risk further. If I were to get back into bonds I would definitely go this route again.

Given your wife’s appetite for risk you could look at Vietnamese givernment bods which pay around 9% and are B rated so still pretty safe. Of course you would then be taking on some currency risk.

There are other products such as CDs, that you can buy in Taiwan with NT$ but that still gives you currency risk. Prudential (PCA Life) has a product with some of the banks (E.Sun, Standard Chartered) that should pay in excess of 5% but of course this is not guaranteed. The prouct pays a 3% coupon plus a bonus based upon investment returns every year. Much lower risk than equities as the underlying assets are more diversified and returns are “smoothed” such that you will never take a hammering in a bad market. The term is 6yrs + and it is a regular premium product however so you would need to pay in every year for 6 years.

Personally, I have some money that I play the HK market with, and the rest in mutual funds. Not the safest strategy but I believe that global markets will continue to rise for the forseeable future. If you think that interest rates will keep rising then bonds may be a wise move but as Taiwan 10yr bonds only pay 1.7% and 2 year bonds pay 2.2% my guess is that the powers that be do not see interest rates rising here any time soon.

My gf is a trader in Taiwan and is predicting that the Taiex will continue to rise and is undervalued against other markets in the region, so you may want to let your wife play a little longer.

If you are determined to buy property in the US then now may not be a bad time to buy. Repossessions are on the increase so there are some bargains to be had and you could still lock into a sensible interest rate. If you don’t yet have enough for the downpayment then I would try to find a reputable financial advisor in the US and invest in $ products through them.

I hope this helps a little although I know it doesn’t specifically answer your question. PM me if you want to have a chat over a beer/coffee.

It’s not a good time for bond funds. They are less volatile but they can also give a poor or even negative return, which many do just now. Instead I would spread the amount over a few individual bonds (say, USD10000-25000 per issuer, depending on how significant your amount is) of issuers that are rated as investment grade. Intent to keep the bonds until maturity so that any changes in the market price don’t need to bother you and as it will guarantee the yield. This may however conflict with the short time frame you have in mind (e.g. those mentioned below mature in 2-4 years only), and note the shorter the time until maturity the lower the yield will typically be.

Check out the following USD bonds as an example, they are all investment grade and as such have a low coupon, but the yield can still be higher than 5% p.a.:
Bank Nederlandse Gemeenten -2008 (XS0170705338) 5.39%
Nordiska Investment Bank -2009 (US65562QAC96) 5.35%
Bundesrepublik Deutschland 2005-2010 (DE0001030104) 5.34%

(I have all those in my portfolio though my yield is lower since I bought them already some months back when the price was higher. Yield is based on todays market price and as such only valid today.)

Actually, do you want to invest using NTD or USD?

[quote=“Rascal”]
Actually, do you want to invest using NTD or USD?[/quote]

This is the key…

I believe that the US is making the right decision in increasing interest rates, and I also believe that in the next couple of years its likely that the Chinese will enable the Yuan to increase even further against the $USD.

Both of these spell to me, a rise in the $USD. Therefore those attractive offshore yields that you see will be deteriorated. If you want to be safe and take advantage of what I see is rise in the $USD in the next 2 years, convert your savings into $USD and invest in the US.

Perhaps you should look at investing in any index fund… I don’t see the US markets as hot as elsewhere… Australia for example…

I dunno…call me consrvative…currency speculation is pretty risky…I’d take a look at where you will be doing a majority of your spending and leave sufficient funds in that currency to meet those needs.

If you think rates are going to go up, then bonds may not be the best place to have funds.

What bums me about the Taiex is that it seems to go up and go down with no real trend of long-term growth.

[quote](but makes no difference if one lives in Taiwan and pays no US taxes)[/quote] Be careful about this one if you are a US citizen/GC holder. You have to file for taxes as US takes global income and this year the rules about AMT have changed so that your foreign income exclusion is included as a part of your deductions.

Thanks for all the replies.

Interesting idea but too high risk for us. We’re definitely moving back to the states in a couple of years and buying a house (gods willing :pray: ) so I want to start setting aside a downpayment fund that has almost no risk whatsoever. That’s why US treasuries appealed to me initially.

Only a fool would buy those. A Fubon bank 1 year CD pays 4.5% presently. Moreover, Taiwan bonds sound about as safe as Vietnamese bonds to me. :laughing:

I’m aware that the housing bubble has begun to deflate in the past 6 months or so globally, perhaps more so in the US, and even more so in regions where prices were overly inflated, such as San Francisco, San Diego, New York. Other considerations in life have us staying in Taiwan for another year or two, but that’s fine, because people say a real estate price bubble does not burst suddenly like a stock market bubble, but instead gradually deflates over a period of years. So, I’m expecting that in a year or two housing prices in the US will be more reasonable than they were.

Yea, that’s one conclusion I was coming to: if I were to buy bonds I think I’d buy individual bonds, rather than a bond fund, even a good one such as Vanguard. But another conclusion I’ve been reaching is that now is a bad time to buy bonds and if I’m looking for a 1 or 2 year fixed income investment, I’d be better off going with a CD. Do you agree?

[quote]Bank Nederlandse Gemeenten -2008 (XS0170705338) 5.39%
Nordiska Investment Bank -2009 (US65562QAC96) 5.35%
Bundesrepublik Deutschland 2005-2010 (DE0001030104) 5.34%[/quote]

Those do look good. If I were still looking at bonds, I’d seriously consider those.

I agree. Just yesterday I posted on another thread that it’s about time to start buying USD again. I’ve bought periodically over the years, when rates are good. It’s now at 31.57 (yesterday anyway), which is quite good. I intend to convert to USD next week probably and then buy some sort of a USD investment.

Index funds are quite safe, but still too much uncertainty for my present goal. I’ll still keep a lot of money in stocks, but I now want to create a house downpayment fund that will have an absolute guaranteed positive return in one year or two, when I want to withdraw it.

That’s what I thought. If rates go up doesn’t the value of treasuries that I’m holding go down? That’s why I’m now looking at CDs. Assuming I’m correct about that, how does one purchase good CDs such as those at the above Vanguard link?

Yeah, if you are settled on investing for 1 or 2 years only then I would agree to go with CDs.

I’ve learned the best way to find the best rates on CDs is through sites such as this:

bankrate.com/gookeyword/rate … product=15

I may end up getting my CD with ING, which is now paying 5.25% on a 1 yr CD (compared to 4.5% at Fubon):

ingdirect.com/ocd_rate_direct/

Apparently, it’s easy to open an account online and wire money into it. :slight_smile:

How do you get such high yields? According to Fubon’s website, the highest rate right now is 2.175% on a 3-yr CD. Do you have to put in a large amount like a million NT or more to enjoy that? :s

[quote=“Incubus”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]
I may end up getting my CD with ING, which is now paying 5.25% on a 1 yr CD (compared to 4.5% at Fubon)
[/quote]
How do you get such high yields? According to Fubon’s website, the highest rate right now is 2.175% on a 3-yr CD. Do you have to put in a large amount like a million NT or more to enjoy that? :s[/quote]

Strangely enough, one doesn’t always earn a higher yield on a longer term investment. Illogical but true. So it’s possible they’re giving 4.5% on 1 yr CDs and 2.175% on 3 yrs, in which case only a fool would buy a 3 yr CD.

Additionally, it’s possible their website is inaccurate and/or maybe I get a special rate cuz they think I’m cute. . . or cuz my wife calls and harasses them. I don’t know, but I’m sure they told me 4.5% on a 1 yr CD. Inquire personally. Or, better yet, put your money in ING and earn 5.25%.

I just realized where the confusion lies. You’re talking about US dollar CDs, right? and I was looking at rates for NT dollar CDs. :blush:

MT this is classic Taiwan. No one knows what interest rates are going to do long term. My company takes a view that interest rates will rise but the goverments 10 yr bonds are a lower rate than the 2 year ones.

Incidentally we still buy 10 year bonds because we are in a long term business and need the certainty of being able to return X on some of the funds we invest.

Even with US treasuries, one sometimes earns a higher yield on a shorter investment than a longer one, as illustrated by this chart of today’s rates:
flagship5.vanguard.com/VGApp/hnw … mmaryTable

Not a big difference but, as you can see, the yield on a 6 month note is better than that on a 3 year one (4.97% for 6 months; 4.93% for 3 years).

I understand the point that even if the difference was more significant a business still might buy the longer term/lower rate investment because it needs long-term security. Presumably, the rationale is that rates could potentially drop (unlikely though that may be presently), so at least with the 3 or 10 year investment you’re locked in to a rate and have that certainty.

As for Fubon paying 2.175% on an NT$CD and 4.5% on a comparable US$ CD, that seems like an obvious choice to me. The only reason the NTCD would make more sense is if the value of the US$ compared to NT$ drops substantially – perhaps to 20 or 25. While it may drop a little more in the next couple of years, that much of a drop seems highly unlikely. It seems much wiser to me to convert to US$ and buy a US$CD (though why settle for 4.5% when you can do better elsewhere?)

Hmm, what can you get in Sterling? The chances are that over the next 3-5 years the US$ will regain some ground against the Pound. Could be an interesting punt.

Anyone know why Fubon’s Rates are nearly double the average here?

95.4.10起,加入來富得利專案,可享三個月期定存固定年利率最高4.19%優惠。

taipeifubon.com.tw/

Kenneth

OK, I put a nice chunk of money in CDs last May for one-year, earning over 5%. Now, for the next higher risk step in my portfolio. What about mutual funds and other “low-risk investments”?

I know, I know, mutual funds are in a different category than CDs and bonds: there’s no guaranteed return and one can even lose money. But they’re still relatively low-risk (at least compared to what my wife’s been doing – investing almost all of our dough, successfully thank god, on individual stocks she picks).

I know a little (just a little) about mutual funds, having invested in them for the past 16 years or so. I’ve learned that one needs to be wary of front-end and back-end costs, management expenses, etc., and that (as with all investments) past performance is no guarantee of future performance. I also recall reading somewhere that the great majority of mutual funds actually perform worse than the market as a whole. Given all that, I’m not the great fan of mutual funds that I was when I started out (I believe there was a good deal of irrational exuberance about them back then).

Nonetheless, I do have money in a couple of mutual funds – a Vanguard index fund (it’s my understanding index funds, whose holdings approximate a certain index, generally perform better and may have lower management fees than non-index funds) and Torray – which have not been too bad (compared to some of hte disasters I’ve invested in).

But there may be far better mutual funds out there, or there may be other low-risk investments that are better than mutual funds. What do you suggest in that category of risk (the next step up from CDs and bonds)?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][…]

Nonetheless, I do have money in a couple of mutual funds – a Vanguard index fund (it’s my understanding index funds, whose holdings approximate a certain index, generally perform better and may have lower management fees than non-index funds) and Torray – which have not been too bad (compared to some of hte disasters I’ve invested in).

But there may be far better mutual funds out there, or there may be other low-risk investments that are better than mutual funds. What do you suggest in that category of risk (the next step up from CDs and bonds)?[/quote]
I think you got a pretty good understanding already (not that I know much more myself) and that you should stick with index funds. Only something like 20% of mutual funds outperform their index but nobody can tell in advance which ones that will be, but with an index fund you make at least sure you won’t belong to the other 80%.

It seems you are currently only invested in the US (for the Vanguard I assume it’s the S&P500 fund and Torray is also a local fund, isn’t it?), so if you want to increase the risk and thus chances of better earnings maybe you can look for index funds that relate to individual countries or regions, like emerging markets. Take a look at e.g. ishares ETFs. Come to think of it, maybe the next step up would be a broader market (international/global or Europe) rather than emerging markets.

I am, but my wife’s been managing our combined portfolio which is even larger and she invests only in individual Taiwan stocks.

Thanks. Good suggestion. I’ll look into it – and other options – more later, but their Taiwan index fund is interesting (lots of familiar names there, with major holdings of TSMC, Hon Hai, Cathay Financial, UMC, etc.):

ishares.com/fund_info/detail … symbol=EWT

Annualized returns on that fund have been just fine in the recent past.
1 year: 25.49%
3 yrs: 10.9%
5 yrs: 11.1%

Expense ratio of 0.74% sounds reasonable too. . . I think.

It is possible.

[quote]Taiwan index fund is interesting (lots of familiar names there, with major holdings of TSMC, Hon Hai, Cathay Financial, UMC, etc.):
[/quote]
The first Taiwan index fund is “寶來台灣卓越50基金” (Polaris)
It includes the top 50 stocks in Taiwan.