Flashcard programs for MS Pocket PC?

So I moved into the Modern Age now and bought me a second-hand Pocket PC (Asus Mypal A600), and now I’m looking for a nice freeware/shareware flashcard program so I can use it to learn some new Chinese when I’m doing sod all else. Any ideas? I’ve found a couple, but mostly they’ve been either crippled beyond practicality, (in one case) utterly incapable of displaying Chinese (despite the Chinese OS), or having issues with certain characters (and not even weird variants or anything. One program couldn’t even display dang as in “political party”).

I recently downloaded 2 chinese programs for my IPAQ 5550 from http://www.hnhsoft.com/downloads.htm but they are not specifically flashcards.

One is a talking phrase book, with english, Chinese characters and chinese audio.

The other one (which may interest you more) is a full English->Chinese Dictionary. 70,000+ entries, Pin yin, Trad AND Simplified Chinese characters and great Audio.
Also has a study function so you can select certain words to work on and they can be set up to cycle thru.

Both have free trial versions. I purchased them after trying them out and I think they are pretty good.

Spend the money and get this:
ceti.pl/~tss/smce/

There is nothing better. I’m seriuos.

[quote=“miltownkid”]Spend the money and get this:
ceti.pl/~tss/smce/

There is nothing better. I’m seriuos.[/quote]
Already tried the demo of that - that’s the aforementioned “shits itself over common characters” one. It can’t seem to even display “xuan” as in “xuanze”, choose.

I was just about to post that. I wasn’t sure how Pocket PC would handle the Chinese input. Works on my Palm. I wonder if a PocketPC with Chinese OS would work better (they have it in Chinese right?)

Strangely, that’s what I’ve got - MS Pocket PC 2002, Chinese version. That just makes it all the weirder that SuperMemo poops itself at some characters. They’re even in bloody Unicode!

I just come across this declan-software.com/pocket_pc/chinese/ and downloaded the trial versions. Seems bloody fantastic, but it’s not freeware. But you get 3 programs (Audio flashcards, Read/write Chinese, and a dictionary) for $45 US.
I’m seriously considering this.

Bugger. If it didn’t “only run on Windows Mobile 2003” (I’ve got Pocket PC 2002) I’d actually be giving it some thought… :s

yeah I just noticed that. damn (for you)
well, I’ve had a play with the flashcards program, and it is really outstanding. about 4 different modes including listening to audio and picking the character, along with visual modes to test pinyin, english meaning and a ‘grid search’ where you have to pick out the correct character out of a block of 50 based on meaning.
It has a ‘learn’ feature which keeps repeating the ones you cock up more than the ones you already know.
The read/write program is pretty good too.
IMHO, that is enough for me to get that 3 piece deal. The dictionary is a little average, but I have the HNH one anyway which is good and comes with audio.

[quote=“Tetsuo”][quote=“miltownkid”]Spend the money and get this:
ceti.pl/~tss/smce/

There is nothing better. I’m seriuos.[/quote]
Already tried the demo of that - that’s the aforementioned “shits itself over common characters” one. It can’t seem to even display “xuan” as in “xuanze”, choose.[/quote]

Supermemo has no problem with this character on my old Toshiba Pocket PC (e740 with English MS Pocket PC 2002 and MonsterSIP for writing Chinese). Did you switch the encoding in Supermemo from “compressed unicode” to “unicode” (Mode/Encoding)?