"Flashing"

It might just be me, but annoying interactive “flashing” ads/avatars on forumosa.com are immediately filtered and ignored.

I usually don’t enjoy reading replies if there is something warping/flashing/blinking in the avatar section of the page.

Put it down to me not being able to multi-task. But, if you want your comments/ads to be skipped - keep on “flashing”

I hear you, but please remember that Forumosa’s hosting costs are considerable, and it is only because of the financial support of the advertisers that Forumosa can afford to keep going.

Anyway, it could be worse - have you seen tealit lately? :sick:

[quote=“Maoman”]Anyway, it could be worse - have you seen tealit lately? :sick:[/quote]Or any Taiwanese website, with little ads all flashing at different rates.
Forumosa only has one big ad on at a time, and the current one isn’t flashing.

Is my avatar flashing? It’s just animated. I know it’s annoying for other reasons.

[quote=“GRC22”]It might just be me, but annoying interactive “flashing” ads/avatars on forumosa.com are immediately filtered and ignored.

I usually don’t enjoy reading replies if there is something warping/flashing/blinking in the avatar section of the page.

Put it down to me not being able to multi-task. But, if you want your comments/ads to be skipped - keep on “flashing”[/quote]

Tastes and irritations do vary. I suspect a little bit of movement doesn’t irk most of forumosa’s users though (I’m open to correction). I quite like Big Fluffy Matthew’s avatar, even if it’s meaning confounds me.

Big Fluffy Matthew’s avatar 3/10

ThreadKiller avatar 7/10

GRC22 avatar 0/10 or n/a

It would be interesting to do a study: Do the annoying flashing banners hamper your ability to find out the meaning of a word?

Which website would you use?

thefreedictionary.com/flash

For me, I have been bombarded with flashing/blinking irritating adverts since day 1 of being connected to the internet. It takes a lot of time and practice to filter out the unwanted.

IMO, I believe that a distracting interactive image next to an important body of information will hamper my ability to decode the poster’s message. I tend to quickly skim over the content next to the annoying avatar.

On Firefox and Internet Explorer, hitting the escape key (Esc) stops, or freezes, the animated images that are currently displayed on the page. It won’t stop the flash banners, though. However, there are also ways to do that, if it really matters to you.

thanks