Flickr protest

Just curious if anyone else is following the protest over flickr censorship/imposed national limits on viewing.
In short, anyone in Germany, Korea, Singapore, or Hong Kong (or registered in those Yahoo domains) is now only able to access photos rated “Safe”. This is part of flickr’s localization ‘improvement’ to make flickr available in other languages.

Nearly 3000 post discussion thread: flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/42597/
Group opposed to current practice: flickr.com/groups/againstcensorship/

I’ve seen it on Flickr earlier this week, I’ve read some of the threads, but I’m still confused as to how it originated, why it has impact on only those countries (is it going to spread to others and how?) and why is Flickr the bad guy?
Could you help explain please, Jaboney?
Thanks

Two years ago, flickr was bought out by Yahoo. Apparently flickr was running low on cash, and in danger of shutting down, and sold out for something around $30 or $40 million (too cheap!).

Last year, the original flickr log in was disabled, and everyone had to sign up for a Yahoo account to continue using the site.

A couple of months ago, flickr brought in filters: essentially a rating system. Your photos would be rated “Safe”, “Moderate”, or “Restricted.” This allows users to filter out images they might not want to see, and while it caused a huge stink, was a pretty good idea overall, imho.

For example, this photo appeared on the explorer page and one nutter kicked up a huge stink about kids seeing such images. Personally, I think it’s “Safe”, but if it’s set to “Moderate” and he, and schools, keep their filters set to “Safe” (aka PG 5), everything goes on swimmingly. (Except that flickr doesn’t even tell you that there’s a photo missing if you’re stuck on the default “Safe” setting.) A better example might be Merkley??? He took this shot, which is one of my favorites, but most of the rest of his photostream might raise eyebrows if they popped up on my screen at work.

A few days ago, flickr implemented localization, so you can now get flickr in English, traditional Chinese, French, Italian, German, Korean, Portuguese, and Spanish. However, at the same time, flickr imposed the “Safe” filter setting on all users in Germany, Singapore, Korea, and Hong Kong; or rather, all users with Yahoo domains in Germany, Singapore, Korea, and Hong Kong. (Which means that German-speaking flickr users in Austria, or Switzerland are also blocked. I suppose anyone from those 4 places, living anywhere, is similarly screwed. Anyone with a Yahoo.com (US) registration living in those 4 places is off the hook.)

The reasons for this in Korea, Singapore, and Hong Kong is official censorship. But that’s not a problem in Germany. In Germany, flickr (more likely Yahoo’s lawyers in the US) took a look at one goofy ruling–being appealed–and decided that an internet provider is responsible for EVERYTHING posted, worried that flickr’s German staff might end up thrown in jail if any German kiddies were exposed to explicit images uploaded to the site (flickr-hoo’s been unable to come up with an effective, efficient age verification system), and imposed nation wide (more accurately .de-domain wide) censorship.

Outrageous as that is–and a large number of German users are telling flickr to just yank the language support if that’s the way it’s going to be–flickr staff were (apparently) muzzled by Yahoo’s legal department, and said essentially NOTHING for something like 8 hours, then went silent again for another 24 hours, and the silent treatment became as large an issue as the initial ‘censorship’.

That’s when the protest REALLY took off, and the site was flooded with protest images (I’ve posted a few).

Now, 4 days later, there’s still no resolution, no redress, no real explanation from flickr.

Which sucks, because it’s by far the best photo site around, and they’re shooting themselves in the foot. That, or Yahoo’s getting it’s hand in, and inadvertently doing to flickr what it did to Geocities.

Anyways, this seems to be the result of incompetence, or corporate short-sightedness, more than anything else, but on top of a brutally mishandled episode involving the theft of _rebekka’s photos (named the web’s best photographer by the Wall Street Journal), flickr-hoo’s dug itself a massive hole.

LOL. I can only hope that this is true, and that maybe the recent flickr foul ups were the last straw: Yahoo Chairman and CEO Terry Semel reportedly out.

Internet mobbing gets pretty old, fast. As an American user, I find it kind of bizarre how upset people are getting, and I don’t feel personally that it equates to censorship.

Because it’s a mixture of national laws and a german-based TOS, it’s hard to lay blame appropriately. I think a lot of people just want flickr to wave those laws in the face of the government and aren’t considering the consequences. How would those users react if the site was blocked entirely?

The whole situation strikes me as shortsighted and a little ridiculous.

Disclaimer: I’m an active flickr pro user, and not one of my photos is rated in such a way that it would be “censored”.

National laws and TOS are the point. But yes, the mob gets old real quick.
The point is the ham-fisted manner in which the localization and imposition of national censors/filters was handled, followed by the completely unacceptable response, by staff, to the protest that their ‘improvements’ were greeted by. Very poor form: particularly for a web 2.0 company whose content is provided by the users.

LOL. Amazing. Some people not only don’t get it, they can NEVER let it go.

I don’t get it either. So a few Germans and Koreans and other johnny foreigners can’t see any titties on flickr.
Doesn’t bother me in the slightest and since I doubt I’d ever be able to find anyone willing to let me photograph THEIR titties, it’s unlikely to have much of an impact on me. I get my online titties elsewhere, in any case.

[quote=“sandman”]I don’t get it either. So a few Germans and Koreans and other johnny foreigners can’t see any titties on flickr.
Doesn’t bother me in the slightest and since I doubt I’d ever be able to find anyone willing to let me photograph THEIR titties, it’s unlikely to have much of an impact on me. I get my online titties elsewhere, in any case.[/quote]

But it’s CENSORSHIP!~!!!@!!!111!!!@! In GERMaNY!!~!!!1!!

and Jaboney… wow, that’s a good post on the flickr forum. You really got someone’s goat!

Also, I’d like to add, that I wish people would give the flickr staff a week or two to give a thought-out response to all of this, rather than expecting an immediate response (they work 8-5 in San Francisco) that isn’t thought out. Instant solutions to tricky problems rarely work out well.

[quote=“arion”]and Jaboney… wow, that’s a good post on the flickr forum. You really got someone’s goat![/quote]If you know where I could return it, let me know. Goats are nasty animals, known to strip foliage, and I’d rather protect my small garden than play games with trolls (or garden gnomes). Thanks.