Flights cancelled as China Airlines pilots strike (February 2019)

Scoot is also good, I flew with them to Singapore twice.

oh no there are only 2 airlines in asia? what will i do ? mummy could you help me i am stuck in taiwan forever!

I was going to book with China Airlines since they are offering cheapest flight to HK for this coming long weekend…

And then there’s a big news banner in their site about the strike.

So went to Eva Airways instead.

I wonder if they actually know which flights will be affected, or is it random?

This video is making the rounds…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du-sJqHuuUE

3 Likes

I’m not gambling my vacation.

Based on what I was reading, it is most likely affect long flights.

This one too…

4 Likes

Lovely. Now the foreigners are to blame.

Pilot union demand to stop recruiting foreigners raises concern

2019/02/14 10:44:04

CNA file photo

Taipei, Feb. 14 (CNA) After progress was made in negotiations between a pilot union and China Airlines (CAL) Wednesday, the two sides are expected to enter another round of a dispute over a union demand for a stop in the recruitment of foreign pilots.

The Pilot Union Taoyuan, which organized a strike by CAL pilots last week that remains ongoing, is set to talk with CAL, one of Taiwan’s largest carriers, on issues about pilot recruitment and promotion in their planned negotiations Thursday, after reaching consensus on staffing and overwork a day earlier.

The union demands that the carrier halve the ratio of foreign pilots from the current 10 percent to 5 percent within the next three years, stop recruiting new ones, and bar foreign co-pilots from promotion training.

Currently, there are 124 foreign pilots among more than 1,300 pilots working for CAL. The company said not allowing foreign pilots to be hired and not allowing foreign co-pilots to join promotion training could induce the problem of employment discrimination.

1 Like

OK, lemme see, these guys are calling for loosening of alcohol testing and getting foreigners out of their company?

I am losing my sympathy for these guys. What the hell!

Guy

5 Likes

Taipei, Feb. 14 (CNA) Pilots of China Airlines (CAL) continued their strike Thursday, although the pilot union and CAL reached a consensus over the recruitment of foreign pilots, with the company agreeing to plan within two years to only hire foreign nationals in the capacity of co-pilots, and to terminate recruitment of foreign pilots unless special conditions occur.

Should a situation of pilot shortage arise, the carrier agreed to hire Taiwanese rather than foreign pilots if they are equally qualified. However, this will not apply to foreign nationals residing in Taiwan because it would constitute employment discrimination.

CAL also agreed to prioritize the promotion of Taiwanese over foreign pilots if they perform equally well in promotion training, and that the number of Taiwanese nationals should not be lower than foreigners during each round of pilot promotions.

Likewise, that rule will not apply to foreign nationals living in Taiwan as they are protected under the Immigration Act, explained Deputy Labor Minister Liu Shih-hao (劉士豪), who also attended the meeting.

Under Article 62 of the act, “any person shall not discriminate against people residing in the Taiwan Area on the basis of nationality, race, color, class or place of birth.”

Management and the union reached the agreement two hours after entering the fourth round of negotiations, before which the key issue of staffing and overwork was resolved a day earlier.

On the issue of recruitment, the union had demanded that the carrier halve the ratio of foreign pilots from the current 10 percent to 5 percent within the next three years, stop recruiting new ones, and bar foreign co-pilots from promotion training.

The negotiations continue as both sides will discuss other union demands on the removal of CAL executives who break management-labor relations, and bonuses.

According to the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, the country’s main gateway, 24 flights were canceled Thursday due to the strike, affecting 3,586 passengers.

(By Lee Hsin-Yin)
Enditem/J

1 Like

they lost my sympathy there.

2 Likes

Got at least 5 friends and their families who will be affected by this.

They already had complained that local pilots are too mechanical and apply the procedures without really thinking whether they suit the situation or not, which generates friction when the foreigner complaints/opposes. I fear for the passengers´safety in those situations.

They already have most of them furriners working cargo.

EDIT
KMan on the issue:

We furriners have been literally used as the escapegoat, or rather as we say in Spanish el pato de la fiesta.

2 Likes

Lost my sympathy too. Imagine what they would say if some other country tried to impose such restrictions on Taiwanese pilots working overseas.

3 Likes

They are basically acting like every other Taiwanese.

There must be more to this story than meets the eye. I want to hear the other side´s argument. This looks pretty obvious but it may not be like that.

What other side? The foreigners? I doubt any of them will come forward in this discrimating environment.

I heard that too.
Some said that this was the main reason behind CA high amount of accidents years ago, and that it changed when CA started hiring foreigners.

1 Like

The Taiwanese pilots.

Well, the Union has spoken their proposal and had the company agree to it. Do you expect the union to publicly explain why such an explicit request?

The number of foreign pilots are much less than Taiwanese ones. I think I understand it very clearly.

Friend was a pilot for them, the environment is hostile to foreigners among the local pilots. Friend when to work for a Middle East airline.

For example, a cultural problem is that the co pilot cannot refuse or oppose or even question the pilot´s orders. By sending the foreigners to the copilots´seat, they are effectively muzzling them.

Many foreign pilots have up to 20 years with the company. Seniority speaking that ain´t right.

At least they are close to retirement.

I hereby propose giving foreign pilots speed pass to nationality, in that case. :imp:

1 Like